medical advice needed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time I got up to pee (pretty frequently, I was in recovery for 14 hours since Yale didn't have any rooms open, even then I ended up in a trauma ward next to a large gangbanger with multiple gunshot wounds who was the biggest baby on the face of the planet), I peed in the jug. I then proceeded to fling the pee-pee filled jug out into the hallway so it dumped all over the floor. Serves them right. The asshole even took it upon himself (a nurse, not a doctor) to stop my MORPHINE DRIP and give me Tylenol with codeine in PILL FORM instead! This is after they had my throat cut open for 6 hours!
As the husband of an OR nurse, I'd say you got what you deserved. Those folks have to deal with a lot of patients, and its not their job to clean up your piss just because you threw a temper tantrum.

Good luck, man! I thought the foot was good to go? What happened that you need surgery now?
The screw they put in there to keep my surgically broken foot in one piece is causing me pain and irritation, so they are taking it out. Minor compared to the bunionectomy, but still a surgical procedure nonetheless that will leave me on light duty for a couple weeks I'm told.

Then again I walked from the parking lot to the top of the upper deck of a Patriots game in the snow on a broken foot a week and a half after the first procedure and felt ok. So I'm thinking this two weeks thing is highly conservative.

See .. if you didn't have to go around trying to shove it up everone's a$$ .. perhaps this surgery wouldn't be necessary! :p
foot-in-ass.png

While I'd typically agree (and I have a lot of respect for doctors and nurses that actually do their job), when I can see the guy with his feet up on the desk at the receptionist area drinking Starbucks after instructing the patient to remove their own IV and medical equipment AND arbitrarily make a switch to my medications without doctor's approval, I'm not particularly apologetic for what I did.

I'm not sure what became of him, as I reported his actions the following morning. I also commended the nurses on the day staff when one of the directors came in, and brought them and the receptionists in the cancer ward and nuclear medicine flowers when I came back for a check up, as they did a wonderful job and helped me a TON with getting things through the insurance company on short notice.

And unless JR's ex was related to a large South African fella, I kind of doubt it :D

Well, tomorrow's the big day. I am nervous, but hopeful. I went in for my pre-op today. My surgery is scheduled for 11am tomorrow... so, they gave me the typical "no food or drink after midnight" speech. My question was, if the surgery was at 7am, they would say the same thing... so why do I have to go 11hrs w/ no food?
The nurse said, "If we said you could eat up to 8 hours before surgery, would you actually get up at 3am to eat something?". My response "YES!" She looked at me, laughed... and said "How do you stay so skinny?" (she probably weighed over 200) and then, "No food or drinks after midnight!"

****. I tried to explain to her that I am hypoglycemic and may pass out before I even make it to the hospital... she said "Everybody uses that excuse." I almost hope she's on duty tomorrow so she can see first-hand what going 11hrs w/ no food can do to someone like me.
It's not food, but I heard/read somewhere that having some Gatorade a few hours before was supposed to be beneficial and help you not feel so crappy when you're coming off anesthesia.

The last time I went in for surgery was to fix a tendon in my hand. First, when they were getting me checked in, they were about ready to cancel my surgery because my blood pressure was through the roof. I knew I was just worked up about getting my IV put in so I told them to check it again once that was done and it was fine. Then they told me to strip and put on the too-small hospital gown. I put on the gown but I left my boxers on so my ass wouldn't be hanging out for the world to see. They tried to argue but I told them that if they needed to do anything down there while they were doing surgery on my hand then I was going to a different hospital.

It's not food, but I heard/read somewhere that having some Gatorade a few hours before was supposed to be beneficial and help you not feel so crappy when you're coming off anesthesia.
The last time I went in for surgery was to fix a tendon in my hand. First, when they were getting me checked in, they were about ready to cancel my surgery because my blood pressure was through the roof. I knew I was just worked up about getting my IV put in so I told them to check it again once that was done and it was fine. Then they told me to strip and put on the too-small hospital gown. I put on the gown but I left my boxers on so my ass wouldn't be hanging out for the world to see. They tried to argue but I told them that if they needed to do anything down there while they were doing surgery on my hand then I was going to a different hospital.

The key is to put the gown on backwards to show off the goods for the entire hospital to see.

At least Jeff Foxworthy thought so.

Well, I'm back. I didn't pass out, but they did a finger stick on me and my blood sugar level was 43. So, they put me on an IV, even though the surgery got delayed for 2 hours. The IV helped the blood sugar, but didn't help w/ the dry mouth and grumbling stomach... so I was bitchy all day.

But, I can hear, and that's all that really matters. Now I have to keep from letting my husband and kids drive me nuts over the next couple of days while I veg! :)

Great news TX, especially to have a positive result as soon as you wake up!

Well, I'm back. I didn't pass out, but they did a finger stick on me and my blood sugar level was 43. So, they put me on an IV, even though the surgery got delayed for 2 hours. The IV helped the blood sugar, but didn't help w/ the dry mouth and grumbling stomach... so I was bitchy all day.
The dry mouth and grumbling stomach happen pretty much regardless of how much you prep/hdyrate/etc.

But, I can hear, and that's all that really matters. Now I have to keep from letting my husband and kids drive me nuts over the next couple of days while I veg! :)
Wow .. the improvement was practically immediate? Awesome!! :) I am glad everything went well!! :)

As one who has moderate hearing loss, I can empathize with the challenges that arise from having wonky hearing. Out of curiousity, How would you rate the improvement in your hearing? Do you notice quality differences when you focus vs. casually listen? Do you have any trouble hearing with background noise?

Again, glad to hear that all went well. :)

JR

But, I can hear, and that's all that really matters. Now I have to keep from letting my husband and kids drive me nuts over the next couple of days while I veg!

most excellent!! That's great news TX. If I lived near you I'd bring over a case and we'd have some CABs!

Are there people that don't know you;ve had the surgery that you want to spy on? If they knew about your hearing situation before, you may be able to do some serious eavesdropping.

The dry mouth and grumbling stomach happen pretty much regardless of how much you prep/hdyrate/etc.

Wow .. the improvement was practically immediate? Awesome!! :) I am glad everything went well!! :)

As one who has moderate hearing loss, I can empathize with the challenges that arise from having wonky hearing. Out of curiousity, How would you rate the improvement in your hearing? Do you notice quality differences when you focus vs. casually listen? Do you have any trouble hearing with background noise?

Again, glad to hear that all went well. :)

JR
Well, right now they have my ear canal packed with a bunch of stuff... so I don't really know how good the hearing will be once that's out. And, the doc said that there will be some swelling for the next couple of days that will affect things. But, I can hear when something rubs against the bandage, and I can hear that my kid just turned the TV on in the other room. I go back a week from tomorrow to get the stuff removed from the ear canal, and I guess they'll do another hearing test then.

Nice!

Is there anything you particularly missed about not being able to hear as well? Music, birds, etc.? Anything that you are really looking forward to hearing clearly again?

It'll be nice to be able to talk on the phone without having the volume set so high that my hubby can hear it across the room.

Hello... hello.... hello.... TX can you hear me? LOL

Glad the surgery went well. Just one piece of advice, if I may, remember to pull your hair behind your ear when you want to hear. There's something about hair that blocks hearing. Just like the bionic woman, she always had to pull her hair back. Even her bizillion-dollar ear surgery, was no match for her hair.

Back