Maryland PE Status

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any guidance for ink color for PE stamps? I couldn't find anything specific for Maryland.

I was going to order a stamp, but wasn't sure if there was an ink color requirement?
I always use black.

Is there any guidance for ink color for PE stamps? I couldn't find anything specific for Maryland.
I was going to order a stamp, but wasn't sure if there was an ink color requirement?
Our office uses mostly black with one PE who uses blue ink for letters and checklists that are required by review agencies to be signed and sealed.

Cool - I have seen the following color options: Black, Red, Green, Blue, Violet

Not to be "that guy" but I was considering Red (or Green). I cannot find anything that specifies ink color. I wasn't sure if there are issues with xeroxing non-black/blue ink as well. I am a Mechanical PE, so I won't be stamping multiple plans like a Civil PE would on a day to day basis...realistically, I probably will never really stamp anything. I got my PE because it shows some level of competency and is good for career advancement/job opportunities.

(I wouldn't mind Baltimore Ravens Purple)

I mostly see black but I have seen one jurisdiction I think in PA that required red or blue to show it was original. None of my stamps are pre-inked. I just felt that buying a standard stamp was better because you don't use it that often and I will need it to last as much as 40 years. Also, if you need to stamp another color it will be easier.

Can anyone share about how long it took from the time you registered online to the time you got your certificate in the mail. Also how long it took for you license to show up as active on the DLLR site. Thanks.
My registration just showed up on the DLLR site.

Can anyone share about how long it took from the time you registered online to the time you got your certificate in the mail. Also how long it took for you license to show up as active on the DLLR site. Thanks.
Mine showed up this morning on the site too. I registered on line midday on Jan 5 so it took just a couple of days to process and end up in the database.

Mine showed up this morning on the site too. I registered on line midday on Jan 5 so it took just a couple of days to process and end up in the database.
Once it shows up are you able to order your stamp? I cannot find any guide lines and it seems that I only need my license number to order the stamp, but it just seems too easy. I figured I would need to provide the stamp company more proef. Thanks

My office often recommends blue so that whomever receives the drawings knows that it is a "wet stamp" and not just a reproduction. Black or blue to my knowledge is the preferred option.

You have to be careful with stamp color sometimes. I know some CCD's stamp their approval with green ink, some building permits or SHA approval are in red ink, I think WSSC used a blue approval at some point (although it has been a few years since i have done work with them) ... i would just play it safe with black ink for the seal and a black or blue pen for the signature.

Good point about different agencies requesting different colors. I was going to get a self-inking stamp with red ink but the more I contemplate it, the more I think the smartest idea would be to not get a pre-inked or self-inking stamp with a predetermined ink color.

I think I may just get a regular run-of-the-mill stamp from engineerseals or acorn, and pick up one or two individual ink pads in different colors.

I bought a regular rubber stamp in case my state decide to use red or blue ink one day instead of black ink.....If you used to stamp with black ink..and change for example to red ink...remember to clean the rubber stamp and remove the old black ink....Hobby stores sell good solution bottle that is for that and leave the stamp looking like new.

Last edited by a moderator:
For you Maryland guys that are buying a seal, I would also consider buying a stamp for the following regulation:

"Documents described in this chapter shall contain the following certification: "Professional Certification. I hereby certify that these documents were prepared or approved by me, and that I am a duly licensed professional engineer under the laws of the State of Maryland, License No._____, Expiration Date:_______________.""

You can always have this typed in your titleblock but it may be a good idea to have this on a stamp in case it is ever needed. I think I got one for like $6.
So I am finally getting around to ordering my stamp about two weeks from when I asked for advice on ink color....

I was also considering ordering a small stamp that states the above "....I hereby certify...."

Where did you order your stamp from for ~$6? I wasn't sure if it was something you could get done at staples or if you ordered online cheaper.

It only took roughly 30 days for me to get my Maryland license in hand ... that was from reciprocity though.
May I know the size of the wall certificate? Letter or bigger?
The license is half the size of a standard sheet of paper ... the embossed wall certificate (which you wont get for 2 months or so) is quite larger than an 8.5x11. I would have to look at home on the exact size of the wall certificate. I will come in a hard cardboard envelope ... cant miss it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It only took roughly 30 days for me to get my Maryland license in hand ... that was from reciprocity though.
May I know the size of the wall certificate? Letter or bigger?
The license is half the size of a standard sheet of paper ... the embossed wall certificate (which you wont get for 2 months or so) is quite larger than an 8.5x11. I would have to look at home on the exact size of the wall certificate. I will come in a hard cardboard envelope ... cant miss it.
Thanks, Bradlelf.

I have a certificate frame at home which is 8.5x11. Just wonder if I need buy a new one...

Back