LinkedIn Protips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only one person (I think) has found me outside of everyone I found. But I didn't find everyone...

Only one person (I think) has found me outside of everyone I found. But I didn't find everyone...
i seriously have so many suggestions that have you and another in common and im like HOW ARE THERE THIS MANY PEOPLE

No one in the recruiting industry knows what mechanical engineers do, so that explains that.  I get everything from technician to mechanic.
that's like looking for architecture jobs. everyone's an architect! systems architect, software architect, etc

LinkedIn suggests that I might know several thousands of people that I have no connection to at all.  I have no idea what their algorithm is.  I think back when I first joined the recommendations were realistic. I was actually surprised it suggested a few people I knew from High School, even though I never input any of that information and we don't run in the same professional circles.

I finally and reluctantly signed up for LinkedIn a couple of weeks ago at the advice of our In-house recruiter (we have a couple positions open).  I did not list my internships since it was 29, 30, and 31 years ago. 

In protest, I am only accepting people in my network and not requesting to be in anyone's network. 

I am going to show "them", whoever "them" is. 

i seriously have so many suggestions that have you and another in common and im like HOW ARE THERE THIS MANY PEOPLE
Oh my gosh I know. Do you know someone who went to Cal Poly?? I didn't go there, but have a coworker and know a few other engineering people in these parts who did. I think it's responsible for the many people in common who are presumably not on EB, or maybe it's just our west coast-ness...

Oh my gosh I know. Do you know someone who went to Cal Poly?? I didn't go there, but have a coworker and know a few other engineering people in these parts who did. I think it's responsible for the many people in common who are presumably not on EB, or maybe it's just our west coast-ness...
yes. a couple of my coworkers and a couple not currently coworkers went there. 

nor am i.

good news. the person who linkedin tricked me into adding is i think someone from eb (dunno who though ha) so maybe i'm not such a creep anymore :D  

Back