LinkedIn Protips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why does every linkedin recruiter think I want to relocate across the country for some 12 month contract?
Because they're like well he's already on the wrong side of the mountains he's prob ok with being even farther from the pacific

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Actually two 14ers but many more over 10,000.  If you want come see our puny mountains and see how they compare.  I'd be happy to give you a personal tour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent some time at Fort Lewis so I am generally familiar with the area..

We have 53 14'ers - pretty hard to beat. It does suck that California has the highest in the lower 48, since pretty much everything in Cali sucks (hopefully the wall will run the full length along the eastern edge of Cali ;)   )

I can see two 14'ers from my upstairs window (longs and Pikes) though

Fort Lewis?  That's like saying your're familiar with the mountains in CO because you've been to the Denver airport.

I said "generally"......  we flew over the other parts of the state in "choppers" a lot though :D

I spent some time at Fort Lewis so I am generally familiar with the area..

We have 53 14'ers - pretty hard to beat. It does suck that California has the highest in the lower 48, since pretty much everything in Cali sucks (hopefully the wall will run the full length along the eastern edge of Cali ;)   )

I can see two 14'ers from my upstairs window (longs and Pikes) though
Actually, there are 54 official 14ers and 4 more un-official ones in CO.

https://www.14ers.com/

Does anybody have a solid grasp on when headhunters became like 90% of LinkedIn users (or at least, "active" users)?  Most people I know have a LinkedIn account, but very few of them (including me) ever post, or even look it posts, on there.  I get a connection request from the odd college buddy or stalker from EB, but the VAST majority of connection requests, messages, and posts I see are from headhunters.  I'm not actively looking, and if I was, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't seek out a headhunter, so I ignore mosts messages and connection requests from them.  

A large recruitment firm out of England has called me on both my cell phone and work phone.  I don't accept the cell phone calls because I'm not sure how it would affect my bill accepting an overseas call, but I've accidentally picked up on some of the calls to work.  Once I realized who it was, I told them that it was unprofessional to contact me on a work phone and hung up on them.  Other firms and recruiters haven't been as annoying as the one from England, but I still get cold calls all the time from them.  it makes me want to somehow disable or close my LinkedIn account until I'm actively seeking a position.  

Does anybody have a solid grasp on when headhunters became like 90% of LinkedIn users (or at least, "active" users)?  Most people I know have a LinkedIn account, but very few of them (including me) ever post, or even look it posts, on there.  I get a connection request from the odd college buddy or stalker from EB, but the VAST majority of connection requests, messages, and posts I see are from headhunters.  I'm not actively looking, and if I was, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't seek out a headhunter, so I ignore mosts messages and connection requests from them.  

it makes me want to somehow disable or close my LinkedIn account until I'm actively seeking a position.  
You should definitely remove or hide your phone numbers. I don't see anyone with their cell phone listed unless they are job hunting.

You may need to change your privacy settings so that only people that know your email address can send you an invitation to connect.

I have over 400 contacts in LinkedIn and only one is a recruiter, so I don't see much activity with recruiters. Most of my activity feed is from a couple of engineers that are salespeople for large companies. Every once in a while I will "unfollow' someone if their posts are repetitive or too frequent for my taste. That allows us to stay connected but they don't show up on my feed. To do that you just click on one of their posts at the top right and unfollow. You can always re-follow them later.

Since I own my own business, I try to post online more frequently but I don't know if it results in any additional awareness.

I think most people I know use LinkedIn to get ahold of people in case they switch jobs and their phone dies. It may be important to have it, but you don't need to log in every week.

Back