Level of engineering education in the US

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
engineergurl,

I appreciate your input, as I am sure do others reading this forum. Again, the intention was to provoke a discussion based on a true scenario - despite your hints of otherwise... And the responses were great and informative, at lest in my opinion. The rankings consistently show US and UK universities in the top, so there is no point of going there... it was the real life experience I was after...For the record, before it gets out of hand, let's have a civilized discussion free from 'firing up' and 'kicking ass'. Apologies if anyone feels offended - not my intention! Honest!

And apologies for going off topic to politics, but politics do shape our reality and lives whether we want it or not - it does no good to pretend otherwise... It makes me furious when I think of this infamous exploit (for the record, last time I checked: there were about 150,000 US soldiers to 4,000 British - have no illusion who's running the show), to support which we are borrowing $ billions from communist China - how do you like that? (and ever wondered why the communists in China are fine with the US gov't, but the communists in Cuba are not?) BTW The forecasts show that China's economy will outgrow ours in about 5 years time. Yep, the world does not stand still, the times - they are changing, man... but OK, no more politics in here!

So there, hope this clears the air - let's get back to the topic!

engineergurl,
I appreciate your input, as I am sure do others reading this forum. Again, the intention was to provoke a discussion based on a true scenario - despite your hints of otherwise... And the responses were great and informative, at lest in my opinion. The rankings consistently show US and UK universities in the top, so there is no point of going there... it was the real life experience I was after...For the record, before it gets out of hand, let's have a civilized discussion free from 'firing up' and 'kicking ass'. Apologies if anyone feels offended - not my intention! Honest!

And apologies for going off topic to politics, but politics do shape our reality and lives whether we want it or not - it does no good to pretend otherwise... It makes me furious when I think of this infamous exploit (for the record, last time I checked: there were about 150,000 US soldiers to 4,000 British - have no illusion who's running the show), to support which we are borrowing $ billions from communist China - how do you like that? (and ever wondered why the communists in China are fine with the US gov't, but the communists in Cuba are not?) BTW The forecasts show that China's economy will outgrow ours in about 5 years time. Yep, the world does not stand still, the times - they are changing, man... but OK, no more politics in here!

So there, hope this clears the air - let's get back to the topic!
Well, you are right about one thing. I'm sure people appreciate engineergurl's input.

Guess what? I don't believe a single thing you say about your motivation. If you are not trying to offend or stir things up you better work on your social skills, because you really come across as someine with a big chip on their shoulder.

What are you talking about, real life experience? Are you an engineer or some sort of Oprah? Real life experience means anecdote and opinion. It is worthless for analyzing anything in a serious manner.

And you consistently "apologize" for things and then repeat the same offense. On a topic about about university education you first bring up Iraq and then China and Cuba. Talk about complete non sequiturs.

Last edited by a moderator:
benbo,

I do not like to waste time on pointless discussions, but since this is an important issue and an unfair attack, I will make an exception. Here's my final say.

First of all, you are not being honest: I was not the one who started going off topic to statements about the pride in the greatness of our country (what did it have to do with my original question? We were not debating it at all.).

I had another view which I have shared with the others, and I have done so w/o offending or insulting anyone. I understand you and others may not agree with me, may not like what I have said, and that's fine (rest assured, I can live with that), but is that a way to express your disagreement: by ridiculing and insulting the other side? Wow, that's really mature, professional and fair. (Goes against the principles this country prides itself on).

In addition, if one cannot appreciate any criticism, that's just a sign of immaturity and insecurity (and what an insecure nation we are!). And you seem to back it up really well with resorting to insults (apparently that's your high level of social stills and courtesy you would want me to aspire to) and including others as supporting your statement. That's fabrication.

So why can't I have my say - don't we claim to have the "best democracy in the world (...that $ can buy" - as some people in certain parts of the world say, anyway)? And how can you expect to solve a problem if there was one? By pretending there is none? Wow, that's really cool, really mature... guaranteed to get the problem solved! :)

Unless this the 'good old guys & girls forum of mutual brown nosers' (which I hope it is not), where you cannot either express or counter an opinion in a civilized manner, I don't see why I cannot have my say.

I rest my case (I will not answer to any more offensive posts, so for anyone looking for a vent - take a chill pill.). :)

^^^ I think you have missed the point of what others have stated, so I am not going to :deadhorse:

I do feel the need to address one comment:

Unless this the 'good old guys & girls forum of mutual brown nosers' (which I hope it is not), where you cannot either express or counter an opinion in a civilized manner, I don't see why I cannot have my say.
Many of the good old guys and girls of this forum are veterans, married to veterans, or a close relative or friend of a veteran. A lot of people have had to sacrifice A LOT when it has come to the war in Iraq - making obtuse, broad-brushed statements about this country's involvement in that war is going to chafe, at best.

Knowing that your statements are potentially inflammatory but trying to hide behind the statement that its' just opinion and then whine about freedom of expression which is the very thing those veterans who serve ARE protecting for folks like you and me is bad form in my book. Whine away ... don't expect to get any sympathy .. or respect for that matter.

I am not sayin' ... just sayin'

:2cents:

JR

Last edited:
Here's my final say....
Thank you.

:unitedstates:

I LOVE MY COUNTRY!!!

Instead of pointing out faults that other countries have, I would like to say that despite it's faults, I think the USA is the best place in the world for ME. If I didn't, I would try to find a way to move somewhere else.

benbo,
Here's my final say.
Finally a statement I applaud! Although I'm holding my breath it is true.

In typical fashion, this guy takes up a half a thread with his nonsense and then complains he can't have his say. In a backhanded way he insults the entire US university system (which educated probably over 90% of the people reading), and then calls everybody a 'good old guys & girls forum of mutual brown nosers' or silly, immature, and thoughtless (while trying to maintain some plusible deniabiliity, which everyone sees through). Then he get's his panties bunched because I say he needs to work on his social skills or ask him if he is some sort of "Oprah."

Wow guys. Cut carlito some slack. Guess what, there are plenty of people in this world that have a similar opinion to his. It's a different view from a different perspective and I for one don't disagree with anything Carlito has stated. How did we go from education to a discussion on the worlds best nations? There was even a little bit of college football thrown in to boot. Let's go back to that 'civilized' discussion.

I'll throw Carlito a bone. I agree with much of what he has said. America has issues, and sometimes pride in our country blinds us to the fact that we may not be as great as we think we are. I think brining up some of those issues has struck a nerve with some prideful posters who may have lashed out unfairly. Of course, my opinion may be just as skewed as Carlito's, after all I'm a brit too. I'm an American also. I think that affords me a unique perspective in that I understand that pride in ones nation can sometimes get the better of a person. Imagine how hard it is for me, I have to have pride in two nations. Think of how screwed up that can make you. :wacko:

Wow guys. Cut carlito some slack. Guess what, there are plenty of people in this world that have a similar opinion to his. It's a different view from a different perspective and I for one don't disagree with anything Carlito has stated. How did we go from education to a discussion on the worlds best nations? There was even a little bit of college football thrown in to boot. Let's go back to that 'civilized' discussion.
I'll throw Carlito a bone. I agree with much of what he has said. America has issues, and sometimes pride in our country blinds us to the fact that we may not be as great as we think we are. I think brining up some of those issues has struck a nerve with some prideful posters who may have lashed out unfairly. Of course, my opinion may be just as skewed as Carlito's, after all I'm a brit too. I'm an American also. I think that affords me a unique perspective in that I understand that pride in ones nation can sometimes get the better of a person. Imagine how hard it is for me, I have to have pride in two nations. Think of how screwed up that can make you. :wacko:
You're probably right. You opinion is skewed. Because as far as I know I have NEVER ONCE mentioned anything about pride in my country, any war or policy. I challenge you to find it. MY posts have all had to do with his supposed "civilized", but backhanded anecdotal slap at the US University system. I am still waiting for him to supply any evidence. I put in a peer survey, but of course he dismisses that. That is what I am criticizing, and I stand by that criticism.

Please let this topic die!!! It's ruining my Thursday!
oh c'mon. It was just getting interesting. Let's see if we can't stir up some more controversy instead of letting the thread die.

I think Tommy Bowden is the worst coach, in any sport, ever! :17:

You're probably right. You opinion is skewed. Because as far as I know I have NEVER ONCE mentioned anything about pride in my country, any war or policy. I challenge you to find it. MY posts have all had to do with his supposed "civilized", but backhanded anecdotal slap at the US University system. I am still waiting for him to supply any evidence. I put in a peer survey, but of course he dismisses that. That is what I am criticizing, and I stand by that criticism.
Benbo,

quit being a dick. Let it die.

:jerkit: You're doing it again. Please see my previous statement.

:screwloose:
Since it is obviously beyond you to actually respond to what I have written, I'll quit. THe last time I dealt with your line of argument I think I was in the fourth grade.

Back