LEED

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just passed. Got a 189.

Congrats! Only have a minute to respond but did you purchase additional study material? If so, was it helpful?

Off to a bid opening. Currently signed up for LEED Exam on Jan. 5th, 2009 and have only completed light reading. Time to step it up and study!!!!

Congrats once again.

Owillis

Congrats! Only have a minute to respond but did you purchase additional study material? If so, was it helpful?
Off to a bid opening. Currently signed up for LEED Exam on Jan. 5th, 2009 and have only completed light reading. Time to step it up and study!!!!

Congrats once again.

Owillis
Thank ya.

Yes, I purchased the practice exams from www.greenexamprep.com. They were $50 for 4 complete exams that you can take as many times as you want to (I took each 2 or 3 times). They are very similar questions to the actual exam (maybe a little harder), and the online interface is similar to the computer at Prometric testing sites. When you retake exams, the questions and answers are randomized, so it can seem like a brand new test. The scoring report at the end, and the detailed solutions were very helpful in preparation.

I scored higher than you but that's because I can model stormwater when I'm not running my own contracting business or staring at my degree from a top 3 school. :p

Congrats to another LEEDer!

I haven't been on here for some time...and I didn't even realize there was a LEED topic...however...I did pass the day before Thanksgiving. I wanted to pass before the new

version of the exam comes out in 2009.

Good luck to those getting ready to take it right now.

I came across some information on the new LEED 2009 on GBCI's website, see below. A few highlights are that they are going to begin requiring continuing education credits; there are now going to be three tiers of LEED status: LEED Green Associate, LEED Accredited Professional, and LEED AP Fellow; existing LEED AP's will have the option to become LEED AP's by agreeing to the continuing education, but new LEED AP status will require that you document experience on at least one LEED project in the last 2-3 years. They seem to indicate that the new programs will role in February 2009, but they don't give a specific date that the new exams will be offered although I believe the Existing Buildings exam has already been discontinued until the new LEED 2009 exams become available.

http://www.gbci.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CMSPageID=85& LEED 2009 Credentialing FAQ

http://www.gbci.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CMSPageID=83& LEED 2009 Credentialing Program

http://www.gbci.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CMSPageID=84 LEED 2009 Credentialing Program Specifics

So they found a way to charge more?

To me, that's all this has done.

Here's hoping I pass this thing Monday. If not, I can't say I'll pursue it anymore.

So they found a way to charge more?
To me, that's all this has done.

Here's hoping I pass this thing Monday. If not, I can't say I'll pursue it anymore.
Buy the practice exams from greenexamprep.com. They put me over the top in my studying. I can't say they'd do you much good this late in the game, though.

Buy the practice exams from greenexamprep.com. They put me over the top in my studying. I can't say they'd do you much good this late in the game, though.
I used the free exams from the U. of Florida that someone posted in another thread. I think they really helped me.

As of 9:08 this morning, you can add my name to the ever growing list of LEED AP eb.com members!

I used the free exams from the U. of Florida that someone posted in another thread. I think they really helped me.
As of 9:08 this morning, you can add my name to the ever growing list of LEED AP eb.com members!
Giggity. Congrats!

I used the Colorado Study Guide exam, the PPI exam, and the 4 exams from GreenExamPrep to study. They were all very helpful.

Congrats JM!

That continuing ed thing is a bitch. Even if they don't have seminars/training going on, I can always order some PDHs from private Companies for the PE. There is no guarantee that my company will get involved in a LEED project in the next couple of years. It's not exactly the "Go-No Go" criterion we look for when going after a project.

I can totally see myelf standing on a street corner in tattered clothes holding a sign that says, "Will Work for LEED Credits"

Congrats JM!
That continuing ed thing is a bitch. Even if they don't have seminars/training going on, I can always order some PDHs from private Companies for the PE. There is no guarantee that my company will get involved in a LEED project in the next couple of years. It's not exactly the "Go-No Go" criterion we look for when going after a project.

I can totally see myelf standing on a street corner in tattered clothes holding a sign that says, "Will Work for LEED Credits"
Either I'm misinterpreting your post, or the LEED website, or something.

As I can tell, legacy APs only have to sign up for credentialing, pay the $50 every two years, and take 30 hours PDHs with 6 LEED specific. Only new APs have to be involved on a project. Right?

So, the only problem I see is that I'll most likely have to pay for 6 hours of PDHs that are LEED specific, as I doubt my company will bring those in as I'm the only AP in the office.

Unless you're wanting that "Fellow" thing, which I'm not all too concerned about right now.

nice work. Congrats

I hope to post the same message on January 5th

owillis

As I can tell, legacy APs only have to sign up for credentialing, pay the $50 every two years, and take 30 hours PDHs with 6 LEED specific. Only new APs have to be involved on a project. Right?
That's my understanding as well. If you've already qualified as a "Legacy LEED-AP", then you can upgrade to the new "LEED-AP+" credential simply by:

- agreeing to the new disciplinary policy

- paying the $50 fee every two years

- agreeing to the new credential maintenance policy, which involves 30 hours of continuing ed every 2 years, including 6 LEED-specific hours

As I understand it, new applicants for the "LEED-AP+" will also have to take both of the new tests, and will also have to document LEED project experience. But existing "Legacy LEED-APs" will be exempt from these additional requirements.

So, the only problem I see is that I'll most likely have to pay for 6 hours of PDHs that are LEED specific, as I doubt my company will bring those in as I'm the only AP in the office.
As a "Legacy LEED-AP", the "credential maintenance" policy is the big question mark for me. Many states, including mine, have no continuing education requirements for PEs. So I don't get any company-subsidized continuing education hours, and would potentially have to pay for all 30 hours myself -- not just the 6 LEED-specific hours.

I am reserving judgment until GBCI presents more details on the proposed credential maintenance program. Such details are supposed to appear in early 2009. GBCI has claimed that the program will be "flexible", but we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all LEED Exam Takers,

How much time, on average, did you spend studying for the LEED Exam? I am preparing to take it in the next week or so and was wondering how much time others spent studying for it.

Thanks

Hey all LEED Exam Takers,
How much time, on average, did you spend studying for the LEED Exam? I am preparing to take it in the next week or so and was wondering how much time others spent studying for it.

Thanks
I probably spent about an hour a night, plus a few extra hours on the weekends, over the course of about a month.

I studied about a month here and there, but pretty much crammed the last week and did about 2.5 to 4 hours a day, a little more on the weekend. I think the most helpful thing I did was go through the reference guide the night before and read all of the intents, requirements, approach and implementation, etc. for each credit. The credits that I knew I just quickly browsed and sometimes skipped altogether, but the ones that I had trouble with I spent more time on and tabbed them. The morning of the exam I spent another hour or so studying all of the credits that I had tabbed the night before so the info was fresh when I took the exam. Take as many practice tests/quizzes as you can so you'll know what to study up on and you should be alright.

I studied about a month here and there, but pretty much crammed the last week and did about 2.5 to 4 hours a day, a little more on the weekend. I think the most helpful thing I did was go through the reference guide the night before and read all of the intents, requirements, approach and implementation, etc. for each credit. The credits that I knew I just quickly browsed and sometimes skipped altogether, but the ones that I had trouble with I spent more time on and tabbed them. The morning of the exam I spent another hour or so studying all of the credits that I had tabbed the night before so the info was fresh when I took the exam. Take as many practice tests/quizzes as you can so you'll know what to study up on and you should be alright.
Thanks Bman. I have studying on and off for about 1.5 months and will be taking the exam on the 29th. I have about 4 hard copy practice exams and also paid for the 4 online sample exams from www.greenexamprep.com. I should be ready by the 29th.

Best Regards

Back