LEED

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brain dump. I took NC so if you're taking another discipline it won't help.

• Know the referenced standards for each credit: ASHRAE and ASTM standards, standards for VOC limits in low-emitting materials, EPA rules, etc. Not the language in the standard, just the name of it.

• Memorize the credit and exemplary performance achievement thresholds. There were several problems scenarios with various green building practices listed and you had to pick the credits that were achieved based on the values given.

• Know who is responsible for designing and documenting compliance for the various credits: architect, mechanical engineer, contractor, etc.

• Identify synergies and trade-offs between green building practices. If you implement some practice to achieve a credit, how will it help or hinder the ability to achieve other credits. They were big on this.

• Understand the Credit Interpretation Ruling (CIR) process. There were 3-4 questions on this.

• Know the basis of measurement for Materials and Resources credits: area, weight, or cost. Also, know when materials apply to one credit versus another. What counts toward one credit in one project scenario, may count toward a different credit in another. Example: Re-using a building’s structural elements may count toward either Building Re-Use or Construction Waste Management, depending on the scenario, but never toward both.

• Know which fixtures apply toward water use reduction calculations: sinks, showers, urinals, and toilets only. High efficiency diswashers and laundry machines do not apply.

• Several credits have loopholes if other conditions are met. They will ask a few of these. Example: A green roof usually does not count toward open space requirements, but can under circumstances.

• There will be a few questions on the LEED online project administration system, and project administration in general: Design vs. Construction phase submittals, how and when credits are awarded, appeal process.

• Calculations are limited to simple arithmetic you can do on scrap paper.

• Know the thresholds for the different levels of LEED certification. There may be a problem or two on this.

o Certified: 26 points

o Silver: 33 Points

o Gold: 39 Points

o Platinum: 52 Points

• There will be questions on the number of points and prerequisites in each category of credits. A popular mnemonic is WIMSEE.

o Water Efficiency: 0 pre-reqs, 5 possible points

o Innovation in Design: 0 pre-reqs, 5 possible points

o Materials and Resources: 1 pre-req, 13 points

o Sustainable Sites: 1 pre-req, 14 points

o Environmental Quality: 2 pre-reqs, 15 points

o Energy and Atmosphere: 3 pre-reqs, 17 points

Thanks.

I just noticed you posted on the areforums as well. There looks to be a good bit of information over there.

I'm signed up to take the LEED-NC exam next friday. I've been slowly becoming familiar with the whole process, and I'm using these next two weeks to "cram". I've got flash cards with all the basic items on each credit. And 5 flash cards for just acronyms. The one acronym I have the most trouble with is LEED.

EDIT: The best $30 I ever spent was rescheduling the exam. I'll try again this Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd treat those college and USGBC local chapter LEED prep sites with a grain of salt. They are useful test prep, but it's a lot of questions people 'remember' for the exam and ones not made up by test prep pros.

The best one I used was PPI's sample problem guide. The questions are essay style and really make you think about the concepts and how the credits are synergies/tradeoffs, rather than just pure memorization.

I'd treat those college and USGBC local chapter LEED prep sites with a grain of salt. They are useful test prep, but it's a lot of questions people 'remember' for the exam and ones not made up by test prep pros.
The best one I used was "the other board"'s sample problem guide. The questions are essay style and really make you think about the concepts and how the credits are synergies/tradeoffs, rather than just pure memorization.
I have two of the "the other board" books, the sample exam and the practice problems. I just took the sample exam the other day and got close to 75% right. I'm working trough most of the practice problems this week. (exam on monday)

I'm mixing that with a little memorization of the credits. Every morning I write or type out the credit numbers, name, and a few notes on each intent, including the standard referenced.

I'm mixing that with a little memorization of the credits. Every morning I write or type out the credit numbers, name, and a few notes on each intent, including the standard referenced.
I took mine this winter. In the evening when I would get on the treadmill or bike trainer, I would just mentally recite them over and over.

Texas spoiled me... I got a score for my PE. Both when I failed and when I passed.

I finished the LEED exam in the first hour. I spent another 5 minutes reviewing the 4 or 5 questions I marked. I almost didn't want to know how I did. I was confident I did well, but I always have a few doubts. I answered all the survey questions indicating I was very satisfied out of fear it would change my grade.

I was in and out of the exam in about 1 hr 20 min. I was done in just over an hour. I flagged a lot of questions for follow up after bubbling in a prelim answer just so I could take a second look at them.

They have a nice efficient set up for the exam. I like it.

If you're a transportation guy and working on heavy roadway construction, it's probably not something you'd run into. It strictly involves building projects and generally the architect takes the lead on the process.

I look at it as a feather in my cap. It looks good since it's such a buzz word these days. But it wouldn't get me a job or raise on its own like the PE.

I do mostly site design and a little environmental. There are components of LEED involving sustainable sites and water efficiency. The rest of it is mainly architectural and M/E/P stuff. Being accredited shows I'm familiar with green site design. Maybe it makes an architect pick us to be on the project team over another firm.

It can't hurt to take it and it's very do-able. The test is only 2 hours and pretty straightforward. Study time is pretty light compared to some exams. Only problem is it's $400 to sit for it. Kinda stiff if work isn't paying.

I have the materials, but since I'm a mechie, I don't see much reason to take the test until it'll pay off for me.

Interesting stuff, though.

If you're a transportation guy and working on heavy roadway construction, it's probably not something you'd run into. It strictly involves building projects and generally the architect takes the lead on the process.
I look at it as a feather in my cap. It looks good since it's such a buzz word these days. But it wouldn't get me a job or raise on its own like the PE.

I do mostly site design and a little environmental. There are components of LEED involving sustainable sites and water efficiency. The rest of it is mainly architectural and M/E/P stuff. Being accredited shows I'm familiar with green site design. Maybe it makes an architect pick us to be on the project team over another firm.

It can't hurt to take it and it's very do-able. The test is only 2 hours and pretty straightforward. Study time is pretty light compared to some exams. Only problem is it's $400 to sit for it. Kinda stiff if work isn't paying.
Basically the motivation I had for taking it.

In my case, it distances me from my peers within the company by being both a PE and LEED AP. Owners have a comfort level with a PE on the team as well as seeing LEED AP's involved.

I have the materials, but since I'm a mechie, I don't see much reason to take the test until it'll pay off for me.
Interesting stuff, though.
Just so you know, LEED V3 will go into effect at the beginning of 2009, so your materials probably won't be much use after this year. They sent the preliminary guide out for public comment and it is quite a bit different from V2.2 (new construction). Thankfully, my company is willing to foot the bill, so I'm planning on taking it in about a month.

Personally, and as a new PE, the LEED certification is a bs attempt by a state to further regulate professionals.

If you have a PE then obtain LEED certification, bless you -- If you have LEED certification & not a PE, you're not nearly as credible as a person with a PE and model background.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back