just graduated, any advice? civil

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the advice guys.

i think the thread was going off the deep end haha.

thanks for the advice guys.
i think the thread was going off the deep end haha.
Some people dont like talking about the hard realities of the situation this nation is facing. The whole point of being a first world nation is to have plentiful high wage jobs and cushy lifestyles. If you want to be "hard" and live in a tent then go to a 2nd or 3rd world nation and live. I agree that entitlement is killing us but willingness to work BUT with an expectation of a high wage and cushy life is simply an expectation of living in a first world nation. Fellow americans view this outlook with scorn and think that every generation should have to redue the work that was done before, thats like every generation having to reinvent the wheel.

You cant find a job because our wealth is being given away at an exponential rate that our forfathers worked for. I keep hearing employers and politicians say that engineering is a "high demand" field and there are not enough, well im not seeing it. I am happy that some of you on here are able to get counter offers to force the issue on a raise but thats not the norm, but at least gives hope to the rest of us. If I am asked to stamp drawings designed by someeone else as a condition of emplooyment again for not that great of an offer I may just let my PE lapse and renew when times are better, so far the PE has done more harm that good.

Seriously dude whats up with the bolded comment, is this like your internet talk because I know you dont talk like that to superiours in the military no matter what you think. I always thought military had more couth than that.

Does this comment come from the same guy who has posted on other forums that he went AWOL from the military? Rppearso is a real piece of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this comment come from the same guy who has posted on other forums that he went AWOL from the military? Rppearso is a real piece of work.
Not to mention the nefarious things he did to his first wife that caused her to leave him.
Wow a quick google search for rppearso reveals so much about this guy. It's actually a bit addicting reading all the various things he's posted on numerous boards about himself. It's almost like a choose your own adventure and every path ends in a train wreck.

Wow a quick google search for rppearso reveals so much about this guy. It's actually a bit addicting reading all the various things he's posted on numerous boards about himself. It's almost like a choose your own adventure and every path ends in a train wreck.
Very addictive and can be made into a sitcom.

My favorite is the story about trying to legally changing names to avoid child support, and wondering if the PE is transferable to the new name.

My favorite is the story about trying to legally changing names to avoid child support, and wondering if the PE is transferable to the new name.
And he was trying to renounce his US citizenship and seek asylum to avoid it too. I really thought I was reading the script to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia or something.

And he was trying to renounce his US citizenship and seek asylum to avoid it too. I really thought I was reading the script to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia or something.
I wonder if I can copyright stuff I come up with, I should probably stop posting for free and start copy writing this stuff and selling it.

I should probably stop posting
Good idea! Why not start now and you'll have that airplane in no time?

And you'll help the economy by providing employment to a fleet of editors.

ok guys back on a serious note. i got accepted to grad school for MS in civil in the spring. what do you guys think about getting a "General" MS in civil engineering. you take 2 classes in structures, 2 classes in geotech, 2 classes in transportation, 2 classes in env, 2 classes in water...etc.... and 2 electives.

what do you guys think about this? it would take me 2-2.5 years. i have no debt right now.

Sure why not? That way, you're covered. In the long run, all anyone will see are the initials "MS" anyway. Might as well try not to pigeon-hole yourself.

Congratulations!

ok guys back on a serious note. i got accepted to grad school for MS in civil in the spring. what do you guys think about getting a "General" MS in civil engineering. you take 2 classes in structures, 2 classes in geotech, 2 classes in transportation, 2 classes in env, 2 classes in water...etc.... and 2 electives.
what do you guys think about this? it would take me 2-2.5 years. i have no debt right now.

It appears in NC anyway that Hydraulic engineers are a rarity, although maybe that's changing???? My suggestion would be to pick a specialty if you're going to spend two more years in school...and be the best you can be at it. I think in the long run that may pay off better for you than two more years of general knowledge.

Congrats anyway, regardless of the situation.

and...on a second note, this bumps this priceless thread back to the top. Where's Ironman anyway?

Getting your first job out of school without the lottery ticket winner/mommy&daddy provided/4.0 internship is no mans land and right now .....
This is pure bullshit. I didn't have a 4.0 when I graduated and I didn't get my job through mommy/daddy.

As a new grad you need to be flexible with location and expectations. You probably aren't going to get your dream job right out of school. But before you start a Master's you should get some work experience. Even 6 months as an intern would be helpful, you need to make sure you like what you're doing before you invest more money in education to do it.
Agreed. Utter nonsense. There are plenty of jobs out there especially for someone with the right work ethic, personallity, etc...

As an echo to joining the service, I believe that the Jersey Air National Guard has a school loan repayment program as an incentive for enlisting.

Something to consider...
He's not going to find work as a civil engineer in the united states of america. pure and simple. period, and end of discussion. it just isn't happening.

my advice to a new college graduate who is contemplating returning to grad school is to focus on areas of the economy that services the rich. america is now an official third world state. If you've ever been to a long established third world country - you know what i am talking about.

Go back to grad school in a completely different field. I would focus on health care (look into phycisions assitant particularly for plastic cosmetic surgery), tax accounting, private security (the rich, and thier children, will eventually need protection from kidnapping), culinary arts, cosmetology, grounds keeping for golf courses... use your imagination.

Anything that the idle rich would spend money on - focus on that. Tour some of the poorer countries in south america and seek advice from the locals. THAT is how you will survive in today's america

Cheerio!

He's not going to find work as a civil engineer in the united states of america. pure and simple. period, and end of discussion. it just isn't happening.
my advice to a new college graduate who is contemplating returning to grad school is to focus on areas of the economy that services the rich. america is now an official third world state. If you've ever been to a long established third world country - you know what i am talking about.

Go back to grad school in a completely different field. I would focus on health care (look into phycisions assitant particularly for plastic cosmetic surgery), tax accounting, private security (the rich, and thier children, will eventually need protection from kidnapping), culinary arts, cosmetology, grounds keeping for golf courses... use your imagination.

Anything that the idle rich would spend money on - focus on that. Tour some of the poorer countries in south america and seek advice from the locals. THAT is how you will survive in today's america

Cheerio!
Tinfoil_Hat_Cat.jpg

Well, the idle rich will still need smooth roads for their limousines, runways for their private jets, parking lots at the stores they shop at, etc. Civil engineering is still a good choice.

LOL.

Cheerio!
What happened Roy? If I recall correctly, you used to BE part of the rich and were instructing everyone else how to do it.

It takes a little bit of initiative but their are plenty of engineers who make well into 6 figures. working for county government wont get you there, nor will working for most structural AE (building structural is a low-paying gig contrary to popular belief)
6 figures is not at all uncommon for a PE in industry.

maybe you fit this profile?

http://jobview.monster.com/GetJob.aspx?Job...amp;from=indeed

200-250k / yr

and yes - I make 6 figures.

QUOTE (Roy T. @ Aug 18 2009, 04:46 PM) Also, I will admit I am very much a shameless opportunist. I made no friends along the way to where I am now. I specifically targeted (last year) when oil was $145/barrel the O&G industry and landed a spot. I used my past government job for all it was worth including plenty of study time for the PE and lots of (unauthorized) field experience. I'd just go to the job site and start barking orders. I learned tons and looked out for myself.

It's tough out there - I make no apologies.
What happened to the good ol' days a few months ago when you posted these gems, and many similar pronouncements?

This thread is full of similar gems-

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=9630&hl=

Cheerio!
What happened Roy? If I recall correctly, you used to BE part of the rich and were instructing everyone else how to do it.

It takes a little bit of initiative but their are plenty of engineers who make well into 6 figures. working for county government wont get you there, nor will working for most structural AE (building structural is a low-paying gig contrary to popular belief)
6 figures is not at all uncommon for a PE in industry.

maybe you fit this profile?

http://jobview.monster.com/GetJob.aspx?Job...amp;from=indeed

200-250k / yr

and yes - I make 6 figures.

QUOTE (Roy T. @ Aug 18 2009, 04:46 PM) Also, I will admit I am very much a shameless opportunist. I made no friends along the way to where I am now. I specifically targeted (last year) when oil was $145/barrel the O&G industry and landed a spot. I used my past government job for all it was worth including plenty of study time for the PE and lots of (unauthorized) field experience. I'd just go to the job site and start barking orders. I learned tons and looked out for myself.

It's tough out there - I make no apologies.
What happened to the good ol' days a few months ago when you posted these gems, and many similar pronouncements?

This thread is full of similar gems-

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=9630&hl=
If you look at my most recent posts - I still am *very* much a shameless opportunist... which is why I am moving overseas.

My post is entirely consistent which my world view... as is the current economy.. indeed they are an affirmation of them..

I am sorry if so many people here are stuck and are in bad situations here in the USA . I've stongly believe loyalty to anything other than family and friends is dumb.

go where the money is... always... where the money was 1 year ago... it no longer is today. Hence, pack your bags and move overseas.

or don't and be broke.

nature of the beast. civil engineers aren't the most adaptive lot, but they need to be to survive.

http://www.careerjet.com.au/search/jobs?s=...er&l=sydney

http://www.command.com.au/job-36007.htm

Senior Civil Engineer - Civils/ Water - up to $200k

The Aussie dollar is trading at parity with the USD BTW.

good luck all. I got my VISA

Latest posts

Back