Is there really job out there for us

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys:

Thank you for you guys comments on my situation here. And, to be clear of myself, I am not being fired from my old job.Otherwise, I wont be able to collect my unemployment benefit and unemployment training. I am also deeply appreciate you guys encouragement. I am doing my best to handle the ‘dark’ future. Chucktown PE, I totally agree what you said. I got to see what happen in the couple of months.

Tsli001

JR,

No , I wasnt fired. Laid off is different, I got severance pay and other benefits, shortage of work was the reason, this recession is crazy, all our prnding projects were stopped. I got unemployment benefits now.

Dont make conclusions you dont have have any idea what is going on!

And, to be clear of myself, I am not being fired from my old job.

No , I wasnt fired.
My apologies to you both - I mischaracterized the statement.

Dont make conclusions you dont have have any idea what is going on!
Aside from my mis-statement of laid off vs. fired (an innocent typo on my part), have I derived any other conclusions or made any other statements that are incorrect or presumptuous? Is my analysis invalid based on my mis-statement?

JR

Hi Chucktown PE

I totally agree what you said there. I was wondering can you take a look of my resume & cover letter. I’m just need more input to what I can do to improve.

Tsli001

Tsli001, as purely constructive criticism, I must say your writing skills seem very limited. I get the impression English may not be your primary language? If that's the case, I would say so at the start of every written communication with a prospective employer. Because, if that's the case, your English writing skills are not too bad.

If English is your primary language, I would say that you need to either (or both) get started on some remedial grammar and writing education, or avoid submitting anything in writing to any prospective employer, aside from the bare minimum (resume), and try to stick with just verbal interviews.

If you are a strong technical engineer, there are plenty of positions out there for you. But a lot of jobs require decent written communications skills, and you will either want to concentrate on writing more fluently, or be up front about any deficiencies you may have in that arena.

Back