Is it true that you don't have to be an engineer in some states to obtain a PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A colleague of mine recently told me that by the year 2015 the NCEES will have an additional educational requirment. 30 credit hours will have to be earned before giving approval to sit for the exam. 30 hours is essentially a master degree but I believe the NCEES is setting something similar to how states currently require PDH credits through approved vendors.

To whom (or who - I always get those confused) did you ask?
I think you are correct. Maybe you know this trick.

Answer the question, and if you would use "him" in the answer use "whom" in the question.

If you would use "he" in the answer use "who" in the question.

Whom did you ask? I asked him. as opposed to I asked he.

Who told you that? He told me that as opposed to Him told me that.

^never heard that before... thats good!
As an engineer who has to write more than any engineer should, they sent me to a grammar class. THey taught us all sorts of hints like that. Only problem is I almost never remember to actually use them.

A colleague of mine recently told me that by the year 2015 the NCEES will have an additional educational requirment. 30 credit hours will have to be earned before giving approval to sit for the exam. 30 hours is essentially a master degree but I believe the NCEES is setting something similar to how states currently require PDH credits through approved vendors.
There is a thread regarding that 30 additional hours already on the forum. It is all subject to individual states agreeing, just like the PDH requirement, not all states require them.

Bubkus! A PE requires a balance of education, experience, and exam. Some states choose to allow experience to overcome shortages in education or exam. By and far, most people registered are the traditional balance (ABET-accredited education, 4 years of experience (give or take a few years), and FE/EIT and PE exam.
BUBKUS back atcha!! . . . . the PE requires you to figure tricky questions that are usually well out of the range of a typical days work. . . . and even some questions that have NOTHING to do with what an engineer does all day long!! If you are a "Test Taker" and can regurgitate then you'll do just fine . . . . but the exam has NOTHING to do with what kind of Engineer you are.

and NO you DONT HAVE TO HAVE EVEN GRADUATED FROM KINDERGARTEN to take this exam.

Maryland lets you do it on experience alone . . . .not even an FE Exam!!!

BUBKUS back atcha!! . . . . the PE requires you to figure tricky questions that are usually well out of the range of a typical days work. . . . and even some questions that have NOTHING to do with what an engineer does all day long!! If you are a "Test Taker" and can regurgitate then you'll do just fine . . . . but the exam has NOTHING to do with what kind of Engineer you are.
and NO you DONT HAVE TO HAVE EVEN GRADUATED FROM KINDERGARTEN to take this exam.

Maryland lets you do it on experience alone . . . .not even an FE Exam!!!
No need to yell... I can read you just fine. I know you're blowing smoke when you write "the PE requires you to figure tricky questions...". I'm sure you meant the PE *exam*. I don't disagree with much of what you wrote about the exam, except for "the exam has NOTHING to do with what kind of Engineer you are". Were it so, the NCEES would be an even bigger farce than most anyone believes.

Regarding your statements about kindergarten, Maryland, and experience, please reread what I wrote (quoted here for your convenience: "By and far, most people registered are the traditional balance (ABET-accredited education, 4 years of experience (give or take a few years), and FE/EIT and PE exam.")

It was either ELSES or NCEES -- don't remember.
I would be interested in seeing proof of that if you have it. To my knowledge the states determine who can sit for the exam, not NCEES or ELSES. Now it may be that ELSES is approving applications for a state they work for.

Now to be a Model Law Engineer it does have to be from an acredited school I do believe. Is that what you are referring to?

I think you are correct. Maybe you know this trick.Answer the question, and if you would use "him" in the answer use "whom" in the question.

If you would use "he" in the answer use "who" in the question.

Whom did you ask? I asked him. as opposed to I asked he.

Who told you that? He told me that as opposed to Him told me that.
Nice! Thanks.

Oscar had a heap of apples.

Oscar had

OH = Opposite/Hypotenuse = Sine

a heap

AH = Adjacent/Hypotenuse = cosine

of apples.

OA = Opposite/Adjacent = tangent

HOMES for the 5 Great lakes

Huron/Ontario/Michigan/Erie/Superior

There's my contribution!

In high school we were taught about a great native indian chief that loved trigonometry

SOH-CAH-TOA

sine = Opp/Hyp

cosine = Adjacent/Hyp

tan = Opp/Adjacent

I still use that one today.

In high school we were taught about a great native indian chief that loved trigonometry
SOH-CAH-TOA

sine = Opp/Hyp

cosine = Adjacent/Hyp

tan = Opp/Adjacent

I still use that one today.
That's the way I learned it too!

Well, back in the old days before electricity, we learned the "Oscar had a heap of apples" way.......

I just learned it. It took just as much work to learn a catchy phrase as it did to learn the actual content.

I've never been much on phrases when it comes to learning things.

I wouldn't read too much into it, especially since it was probably a call center employee, or maybe a comity issue.

I would feel sorry for any engineer with less than the model credentials and was taken to court...

It would be a bloodbath at the federal level not only for the engineer but also for the state for sanctioning less than ideal candidates.

Accredation is an absolute must at the federal level.

I would be interested in seeing proof of that if you have it. To my knowledge the states determine who can sit for the exam, not NCEES or ELSES. Now it may be that ELSES is approving applications for a state they work for.
Now to be a Model Law Engineer it does have to be from an acredited school I do believe. Is that what you are referring to?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can feel for the hands-on engineers without an education -- I was one.

It is well understood in industry that the best engineers unequivocally come up from the floor like I did. You not only have superior blueprint reading and visualization skills but also the unparalled experience to finish a product from prototype to launch -- Not to mention the millions you save companies by visualizing mistakes in drawings before the prototypes.

But you have to take your craft to the next level to get respect -- and that's why I graduated with highest honors from a top school and achieved both national honors and national dean's list. GM, GE, & NASA, for example, have experience with engineers that came up from the floor and concurred they make superior engineers -- and that's why all 3 wanted me in engineering mgmt.

Only a handful of engineers in the country can boast that -- if any.

And the best is yet to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can feel for the hands-on engineers without an education -- I was one.
It is well understood in industry that the best engineers unequivocally come up from the floor like I did. You not only have superior blueprint reading and visualization skills but also the unparalled experience to finish a product from prototype to launch -- Not to mention the millions you save companies by visualizing mistakes in drawings before the prototypes.

But you have to take your craft to the next level to get respect -- and that's why I graduated with highest honors from a top school and achieved both national honors and national dean's list. GM, GE, & NASA, for example, have experience with engineers that came up from the floor and concurred they make superior engineers -- and that's why all 3 wanted me in engineering mgmt.

Only a handful of engineers in the country can boast that -- if any.

And the best is yet to come.

****...... How do you handle the pressure?

Back