Interview tips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My company recently posted a job opening I am debating applying for (deadline is Friday).

Pros:

It's in our downtown main offices and a lot more "secure" from a long-term stability standpoint

I can get away from some of the $hit I've been dealing with and can still continue working towards vesting in my retirement

It would be a transfer. I would still need to go through the application/interview process, but I wouldn't have to test for the position

Cons

It's downtown (worse commute and I would have to pay for parking either way)

I would be designing and responsible for contracting out parking lots.

I don't know what my "outside" opportunities would be (if it would mean becoming a cubicle rat), whereas my current position I can sneak outside whenever I want.

Despite knowing a lot of people in the company, I don't know very many in this new department.

The two big hangups for me would be the longer commute and the fact that I would be essentially responsible for parking lots. I have barely opened CAD a handful of times in the last 5 years so I would have to relearn all of that. Designing parking lots is not much fun (I did it at my previous job). The commute would suck. I would have to drive downtown (the Camaro is not downtown friendly) or would have to ride the train. Either situation would require me to pay for parking.

On the flip side I would be able to network a little more within the company which could lead to more opportunities down the road.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that advertised on indeed . I was wondering if you would apply? Couldn't you take the train straight there a few days a week?

It sounds like you have a target on your back where you are at? (Hope that's not too forward to say) But I would defin. apply!

It would be a transfer (same title, pay, benefits, etc). Just a different boss and office.

if you don't like designing parking lots, why would you want a job to do that day in day out? It wouldn't hurt to apply, but would you really enjoy it?

^As a stepping stone to something else. Sometimes you have to take an assignment you don't like for a while to get ahead.

^As a stepping stone to something else. Sometimes you have to take an assignment you don't like for a while to get ahead.

True. Good thing is that you may have some fun in the process. It happened to me a few years ago. Trying to escape a sheat hole I was made a lateral move. Turned out that I learned and had so much fun in my new position that seriously thought about resigning and create my own service company. Even crunched some numbers to find out what the original investment was going to be (needed to buy monitoring equipment). Sadly or luckily I have never been the business man type (too much of a coward... did not have the balls to do it).

But it never works that way. Be wise think with a cold head. Leave the emotions out.

wasn't there an Engineer IV slot they had advertised a few weeks ago? Is this the same one?

Back