Interview tips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dork = structural engineer :D

Lucas_Popped_Collar_123908.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I just realized after getting home today is that my suit is way too big. I bought it when I weighed about 30 lbs more. Looks like I'm going to rock the sport coat.

And kf that is a terrible comparison and you know it. I would never wear more than 3 popped collars.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! The interview went very well I think. I believe all told I met with 12 people from the office. Included in those 12 were 6 structural engineers, 3 project managers, the office manager, the VP of the division for the Merritt Island office, and the executive VP over all the offices in that division. Everyone was extremely nice and went out of their way to answer any questions that I had. I did field some questions from the structural guys about my experience and what my current role it, but a lot of the time was spent with them talking about the company and the area.

The work that they are doing seems extremely interesting and would involve more actual design than what I'm doing now, which is something that I would like. They all mentioned several times that they loved what they did and that it was definitely a close knit office. I can tell that the head structural engineer is a family man and the first thing he asked me once he got to the interview was if I had kids (he jokingly said before asking that that HR has never told him what he can/can't ask in interviews). He then went on to tell me how wonderful the area was to raise kids in and that he has never regretted moving down there from his old hometown (Birmingham).

All told, I fully expect to get an offer from them at some point in the near future. At that point, it will be up to me and the misses to determine if we want to move down to the area (assuming the offer is acceptable). I did get to drive around on Sunday and it looks like a nice area, but I still have to have mrs. ble's input. They were completely understanding in this regard, and several of the interviewers told me to not hesitate to contact them with any questions whatsoever about the job or the area. Looks like I may have an important decision to make soon...

Thanks again everyone for your help! By the way, I went with a sport coat and no tie and did not feel uncomfortable at all. Most everyone was in polo shirts and several interviewers had blue jeans on.

I would live there in a heartbeat, hell your only 5 hours away from they Keys?

Google just said 6 hours to Key West, so that's not bad. That's closer than the Outer Banks are to me now. The area is really nice and relatively affordable as well.

sounds like it went well. hope the conversation with the mrs doesn't land you on the couch.

She's very understanding and is willing to consider a move if it makes sense for me professionally. The main thing that we are concerned with is that the area is going to be good for our kids. The schools in this area are all rated very highly and it does seem like there are a lot of things to do with kids.

You don't really need to go past Key Largo (5 hours) / Islamorada for good diving / fishing..... Not really much to see in actual Key West to be honest. but its cool to go there once...

we would all appreciate it if you get a really big house close to the beach with maybe a guest house for when we come visit?

You don't really need to go past Key Largo (5 hours) / Islamorada for good diving / fishing..... Not really much to see in actual Key West to be honest. but its cool to go there once...

we would all appreciate it if you get a really big house close to the beach with maybe a guest house with a large garage for when we come visit?
Since we're making requests...

Awesome! Glad it went well Ble.

By the way, I went with a sport coat and no tie and heels and did not feel uncomfortable at all
nice!

Back