How much for an engagement ring?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much is appropriate for an engagement ring? (check all that apply)

• <$500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $500 - $999

• $1000 - $3000

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • $3000 - $5000

• $5000 - $10000

• $10000 - $15000

• >$15000

• Total voters
If you're working around a lot of machinery, it's best not to wear the ring at all.
I had a crewman in my oil field days who was missing his ring finger, and not even because of machinery. He just got it caught in the door clasp of our instrument cab, and jumped to the ground, rather than taking the 4 step stairs, becuase he was in a "hurry". His ring finger was what they call "de-gloved" and there was nothing the doctors could do but remove it.
They were banned on the flightline, and I saw a guy do a lesser version of what you describe when the ring got caught on the guide rail for a 40K loader.

Am I the only guy here who basically never wears his ring?
Nope.

Right when we got married I wore it. I had a habit of taking it off and putting next to the sink everytime I washed my hands. I left in the hotel was we were leaving to return from our honeymoon. I noticed before we got out of the parking lot, but in short order I had a number of similar episodes. I'm not a jewelry person, so I decided to be safe I'd just leave it at home. I used to wear it whenever I wore a suit, but have essentially given up that practice, too. I tell my wife that not wearing a ring doesn't make me any less married. She's fine with it.

I'm not a jewelry person, so I decided to be safe I'd just leave it at home. I used to wear it whenever I wore a suit, but have essentially given up that practice, too. I tell my wife that not wearing a ring doesn't make me any less married. She's fine with it.
It used to bother my wife a little, but she's fine with it now. I bust it out on sentimental occasions like anniversaries or formal events where I need to dress nice.

I'm not a jewelry guy either. A couple days after we got married we were frolicking around in an old volcanic basin in Idaho. The air temp was around 102 and the black rocks and soil were even hotter. Between the heat and being a little bit dehydrated, my fingers puffed up a bit. I flipped when I realized I couldn't the ring off right then. I didn't even look at that thing for another week.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ that's mindbottling!

I take my ring off at night so i can pretend that I'm single in my dreams :joke:

Truthfully, i would feel naked w/ my wedding ring off. I do take it off for pounding irons in ground or heavy manual labor - although I usually just wear work gloves on those occasions; otherwise, the ring fits good to where it would never unknowingly fly off - and my wife (& I) are traditional enough i guess to where neither one would really like the idea of convenience wearing or whatever - it's interesting, hearing of others customs B)

I think I've taken mine off maybe five times in 10+ years, and even then it was five minutes, max. I'd feel naked without it, although it took me a few years to truly get used to it (I'm not a jewelry person).

I don't remember what my hubby paid for the diamond but I wanted a simple setting and cared more about color than I did carats. It is approximately 1/2 carat. My wedding band was thrown in for free. My hubby and I aren't the type to upgrade either.

The hubby's ring is made of titanium, and he was welding within the first week we got married (no honeymoon) and got slag all over it. It's a tough ring but didn't stay shiny and new very long. I don't remember how much I paid for it. I didn't realize guys bought their own wedding rings.

I honestly have no clue how much my ring cost... but I like it and that's all that really matters :)

I didn't wear it for most of my pregnancy because of swelling... hubby hated that I wasn't wearing it, so I put it on a necklace.

Am I the only guy here who basically never wears his ring?
Never wear a ring because I don't have one. My wife has an engagement ring, ruby not diamond since she doesn't like diamonds. Don't remember what I paid for it but I think under $1000. (We just had our 13th aniversary yesterday, and I can't remember details like that from 14 years ago). She wears it pretty routinely.

Neither of us wanted wedding bands and so we never bought them.

As for what 'should' you spend, I think its the same answer as what you should spend on a house or car, etc. What you can afford.

I'm not married or engaged yet, but it really irritates me for some reason when I know men are married and don't wear their wedding rings. There are several people at work that do that who are always in the office. I understand if you have to take it off if you are working in the field or with machinery where there is going to be a safety risk, but I think people should wear it the rest of the time if they are married. You'll get used to wearing rings. If I forget to put on a couple rings that I wear daily, my fingers feel naked. My parents separated for a bit last year and are back together now and happy and when I saw that my dad didn't wear his ring for awhile it really bugged me.

I honestly have no clue how much my ring cost... but I like it and that's all that really matters :)
I didn't wear it for most of my pregnancy because of swelling... hubby hated that I wasn't wearing it, so I put it on a necklace.
This was me too...I was a huge swollen mess, so I ended up wearing a fake ring from my grandmother. There were too many nights with the real ring where I was soaking my hand in ice just to get them off my hand.

I tell my wife that not wearing a ring doesn't make me any less married. She's fine with it.

My parents separated for a bit last year and are back together now and happy and when I saw that my dad didn't wear his ring for awhile it really bugged me.
gymrat brings up an interesting point. . .MA_PE, you have older children, right? Have they ever wondered or questioned why dad never wears his wedding ring? I'm just curious, wondering if 'societal expectation' trickles enough into their lives where they've maybe wondered about it.

pathetic storytime: when i separated from & ultimately divorced my 1st wife, i kept my ring on not only thru the divorce, but for a time past it. The folks i worked with back then were all single w/ kid(s) or divorced w/ kid(s), and i first off couldn't accept the fact that I had unceremoniously become their 'peer' (though w/ out kids), and secondly cuz i didn't want anybody hassling me until i could deal w/ it apathetically - by the time someone figured out my ex & I were no longer together, i was totally 'golden' about it. The ring totally served as my privacy keeper in a way - then it got pawned!

gymrat brings up an interesting point. . .MA_PE, you have older children, right? Have they ever wondered or questioned why dad never wears his wedding ring? I'm just curious, wondering if 'societal expectation' trickles enough into their lives where they've maybe wondered about it.
Yes I do have older kids (2 boys). I don't recall any specific discussions about it but I decided not wear right after we got married and before the kids were born. FWIW, at the the time I was working in our lab doing lots of various materials testing and using all kinds of power tools (band saws, routers, belt sanders, etc.

I think I brushed the dust off a couple of times for weddings so the kids know I have one, but they are quite aware that I don't care for jewelery of any kind.

Short answer is that I don't think they view a wedding band as a symbol of whether I love thier mother or not. Sounds like gymrat's experience was that when dad took off the ring he was showing that he no longer wanted to be associated with mom. I can see that, but that's not my circumstance and I don't believe either of my sons lose any sleep over it.

FWIW, they also don't see me hitting on or flirting with women when we go out.

yeah i figured it was probably a total non-issue :D - was just curious because it is such a strong societal symbol, though arguably, most affecting of adult aged folk or FBI profilers.

My dad never wore a wedding band. Still and still doesn't. I never thought much about it, he just isn't the sort to wear jewelry.

I got engaged nearly a year ago and still haven't gotten the engagement ring. Now that I think about it, it would be a great celebration for the upcoming "anniversary"!

{Off to go get ring...}

Back