How much would you pay?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adding a specific grocery list to any of the above choices?

• $2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $5

• $7

• $10

• Total voters
Maybe things are really good with the coupons, but my wife and I found that the majority of the coupons you can clip are for "name brand" items, and 90% of what you can buy in the store, you can get the store's private label for less than what it would cost with a coupon.

We aren't picky, and in some cases the store label stuff is very good... so, we don't take the time to clip coupons, just buy that option and end up saving 20% or more with less effort.

My girlfriend and I use E-Mealz they give you dinner plans and grocery shopping lists, you can even customize for what store you shop at.

cost is like $5 per month.

The thing I really like (other than the money savings) is that I can do all the shopping for a week on 1 day, usually Sunday and the grocery list gives me specific sizes/amounts of each ingredient so I am not left with a bunch of extra food I haven't eaten.

It is also nice because even the 2 person plan has lots of leftovers so typically we only buy for 4 nights per week and then eat leftovers or dinner out the other days.

We aren't picky, and in some cases the store label stuff is very good... so, we don't take the time to clip coupons, just buy that option and end up saving 20% or more with less effort.
I buy store brand everything unless I have a bad experience with it, and it's worth the extra to go name brand. Stop & Shop cottage cheese is an example. I don't like it, so I get Hood instead.

I agree that most coupons are for stuff I don't want. And I don't use them if the store brand is cheaper. But like Chucktown said, if you only use coupons when the item is also on sale at the store you can get things for ridiculously cheap or free. We have enough toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo and soap to last for years and it was almost all free.

Maybe things are really good with the coupons, but my wife and I found that the majority of the coupons you can clip are for "name brand" items, and 90% of what you can buy in the store, you can get the store's private label for less than what it would cost with a coupon.
Mrs. Chucktown gets the name brand items for less 90% of the time. If she doesn't then she doesn't buy it. Like frazil says below, if you buy it when it's on sale and use a coupon (and most stores will take two coupons, a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon) it's either very cheap, free, or sometimes they pay us to buy stuff. Last week she got paid $0.25 per bottle for French's mustard and Heinz Ketchup. I think she bought as much as she could of each.

I agree that most coupons are for stuff I don't want. And I don't use them if the store brand is cheaper. But like Chucktown said, if you only use coupons when the item is also on sale at the store you can get things for ridiculously cheap or free. We have enough toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo and soap to last for years and it was almost all free.
I think that's Mrs. Chuck's favorite. She goes to CVS once a week and gets most of that stuff for free. I have about 10 Gilette Fusion razors, 5 bottles of shaving cream, after shave, face wash, etc. We started running out of room and we have at least a 2 year supply so I told her to stop buying that stuff until 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys have been an incredible help and thank you! As I said, I'm still in the conceptual phase of this, but it isn't that much money to start it up, so if it flops, at least it didn't break the bank. To answer some of your questions...

In regards for leftovers, I usually have a plan for them as well, but they normally turn into breakfasts and lunches... for example, the flanksteak we are having this week will get done up in wraps with some low sodium provalone cheese and packed with my lovely no salt potato chips and a piece of fruit or yogurt, the roasted potatoes from fish night will get tossed together with some egg beaters and some peppers to make southwest egg wraps, I'll use the leftover roasted chicken in some chicken salad and if there's enough make a chicken and spinach quiche on sunday morning... a lot of times I just take whatever is leftover and use it to top a salad or put it into some sort of fancy sandwhich... we also have divided tupperware plates, so we might just eat exactly what we had for dinner the next day for lunch if I can't come up with anything creative to do (Leftovers and I have a love/hate relationship)

As far as the prep time, I've usually included my grocery lists with the usual ziplock baggies and tupperware needed at the bottom so they know they will need it... because we have such a long commute time, I try to make everything I can on the weekends and get things marinated, but because I enjoy cooking so much I also like to have some things to do the day of so I can have some relaxation... even my dogs know they do not come into the kitchen when I'm cooking, it's my "me time".

Supe- I'll PM you the questions that I usually ask and make one up for you if you'll give me some feedback on it!

VT- I think you are within driving distance, come on down... or am I getting you confused with another EB'er?

Fraz- I actually started a database for each of my friends so that way I can currently make sure I don't give them too many similar meals each month. If the thing takes off, who knows where it could go, I can see myself ten years from now doing something where there is an option for the meals come partially prepared, but I would like to start with a small idea and see if it's successful...

I don't do the coupon thing, I found that when I took the time to clip them, I never had ones for what I needed, but I pay attention to the sale items at the store (this week diet dr pepper and chips were on sale so I stocked up) We do get an ad for the grocery store, so I use that as a guide when planning, but it usually only impacts things in a small way. I too purchase the store brand for many things like canned veggies, some milk products, cereal, but never for other items... sometimes that little extra cost makes a big difference... I also purchase all the paper products and toothpaste type items at the dollar general store...

VT- I think you are within driving distance, come on down... or am I getting you confused with another EB'er?
I'm in Massachusetts. You guys go ahead and eat, just keep something warm for me, I'll be there by Tuesday...

Lol, for some reason I was thinking you were up in north georgia... I think next Tuesday will probably be a new low-fat lasagna test :) you might not want to come!

Latest posts

Back