How much for an engagement ring?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much is appropriate for an engagement ring? (check all that apply)

• <$500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $500 - $999

• $1000 - $3000

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • $3000 - $5000

• $5000 - $10000

• $10000 - $15000

• >$15000

• Total voters
That's exactly what I was eluding to Ill. You would have probably been a little peeved (and rightly so in my opinion) if your husband had a kick ass gun collection and/or Jeep and spent $500 on your ring at Sam's wholesale (not knocking Sam's). I didn't think about my guns in my post about "not spending much money on myself" and thinking about it, I would say that my gun collection is worth about as much as my wife's ring.
I don't think there is anything wrong with having nice jewelry. Plus, all these heirlooms that people are talking about have to come from somewhere.
Chucktown, I think we're the only ones in this boat. I think it comes down to a personal decision as to what you want to spend your money on, and how much. Some people cannot fathom spending so much on jewelry, but this sort of thing is a once in a lifetime sort of purchase. It's a lot of money up front.

As long as you clarify in the proposal that "Honey... Don't think of it as fake diamond... Think of it as Genuine Cubic Zirconia!". IF she buys into that you are golden. Let's just say that i have a really forgiving wife.

As long as you clarify in the proposal that "Honey... Don't think of it as fake diamond... Think of it as Genuine Cubic Zirconia!". IF she buys into that you are golden. Let's just say that i have a really forgiving wife.

I know a girl whose former fiance' did the same thing. He gave her a 2 carat CZ and tried to pawn it off as real. She believed him and then one of the prongs got loose. She took it to the jeweler to have it fixed and she asked him about putting in the safe overnight. The jeweler (in Chicago) asked her why the f she would care about it being in the safe overnight due to it being worth around $250. She broke off the engagement, not because of the value, but because he lied to everyone about the thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, my engagement ring was $5K and my wedding band was $1500 (which I purchased, along with his $600 band). It's a .74 carat and it's the right size for me. I wasn't pushing for a huge ring...I wanted a simple solitaire and I wanted platinum.

I could wax poetic about how they were blessed during the ceremony as a sign of our love and commitment...but they're shiny and I like them :)

Speaking of shiny, my wife really needs to get hers cleaned. Same with her wedding ring, which is one of those deals with the embedded diamonds in it. They have about as much luster as one of those shitty aluminum Order of the Engineer rings at this point.

I'm in the "it depends on the situation" arena. I spend about $4000 on my wife's engagement ring, which at the time was about a month's gross salary for me. Its all about what you want to spend your money on.

Some people may see jewelry as a waste of money, but those same people may spend money on something that a jewelry buyer may see as a waste. I was out in Vegas last week, and suprised my wife with a (belated) 5-year anniversary gift, a necklace she has been wanting from Tiffany. Was the something more "practical" I could have used the money on? Sure. But she wanted it, we could afford it, and I like making her happy.

I think my hubby spent around 3K on my engagement ring. I didn't want anything more expensive than that because I would be afraid of losing it. I only wear it now for special occasions because it doesn't fit well with the wedding band. I really should get it resized.

My coworker keeps losing his wedding band, I think he's on his 3rd or 4th ring now, we joke he should purchase them in bulk so he doesn't have to explain to his wife why he lost his ring again . . .

Is that how much the Cracker Jack box it came from cost?
No it was how much I spent at the vending machine before I was finally able to snag it with that stupid robotic claw.

actually it's really easy to find a ring (for men) that cheap. Mine is titanium tungsten

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZtitan...fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

Edit: ops, I was in a rush to get out the door so I guess I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing, my rings tungsten not titanium.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband's 'ceremony' wedding band is tungsten but he wears a titanium band everyday, $80. It gets beaten up pretty badly because he has to go out on the floor sometimes with all of the machinery. He's also on his third titanium band. He lost one and had to get another resized because he lost so much weight. His tungsten band was around $500. He didn't want any 'bling', so to speak.

My husband's 'ceremony' wedding band is tungsten but he wears a titanium band everyday, $80. It gets beaten up pretty badly because he has to go out on the floor sometimes with all of the machinery. He's also on his third titanium band. He lost one and had to get another resized because he lost so much weight. His tungsten band was around $500. He didn't want any 'bling', so to speak.
My hubby has a tungsten ring too. At the time he worked in the NMR world so he was constantly working right next to super conducting magnets. Tungsten has the least amount of magnetic sensitivity. He has seen a metal zipblade fly off a table in the lab and spin towards the magnet.

If you're working around a lot of machinery, it's best not to wear the ring at all.

I had a crewman in my oil field days who was missing his ring finger, and not even because of machinery. He just got it caught in the door clasp of our instrument cab, and jumped to the ground, rather than taking the 4 step stairs, becuase he was in a "hurry". His ring finger was what they call "de-gloved" and there was nothing the doctors could do but remove it.

My wife's ring was $2500. My wedding band was $26.
Haha, I got you beat. Mine was $19.95.

When I asked the price, the girl said 19 95, I said "WHAT?" my wife looked at me and said "yeah, as in 20 dollars", I said "I'll TAKE IT!"

I needed a tough 10k that would not get bent up while I was lifting weights, etc. It still is in great shape 10 years later.

My buddy has a Tungsten Carbide wedding ring. I don't remember how much he said it cost, but it was sub-$100. That thing is made out of the same material as machine tools, so I'm pretty sure he's never going to have a scratch on it.

I think my hubby spent around 3K on my engagement ring. I didn't want anything more expensive than that because I would be afraid of losing it.
Adding hers to the insurance policy didn't add too much yearly cost.

came home from work one day after we were married and my wife said she took all the jewelry I had given (dating, bdays, etc./engagement/wedding) to her jeweler to be appraised for insurance purposes. I was pleased to see all the appraisals were substantially higher than I had paid. The jeweler I was using was a long time friend of a friend and I trusted him. He lived up to the trust well.

I lost my wedding band less than 2 years after we were married - I didn't like the feel of a ring on my finger, and so I got it a little big to begin with. Ended up sliding off my finger, unbeknownst to me, wile running through the jungle setting the 1000th Hash trail in 2004. Coming home from that rager of a party and having to explain how my wedding ring got lost was a .... difficult.... situation. I got the replacement ($380 I think) sized correctly, and always wear gloves when running in the jungle now (I should follow my own safety advice and take it off, but I am too afraid of misplacing it).

If you're working around a lot of machinery, it's best not to wear the ring at all.
Mine goes in my pocket or is locked up in my computer case any time I'm in the field. I've seen the results of finding a live 480V circuit with a wedding band.

Latest posts

Back