How much for an engagement ring?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much is appropriate for an engagement ring? (check all that apply)

• <$500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $500 - $999

• $1000 - $3000

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • $3000 - $5000

• $5000 - $10000

• $10000 - $15000

• >$15000

• Total voters
Does anyone wear that dumb Order of the Engineer thing anyway?
Last summer I hiked to Machu Picchu in a group that, coincidentally, had 5 or 6 engineers, mostly from Canada. All the Canadian engineers had their rings on and took them quite seriously. They had a similar mythology to what I had heard about the rings, that they existed because of some collapsed Canadian bridge and that the rings (or the original rings) were made of steel from that bridge.
One ring to rule them all...

+100 LOTR

Does anyone wear that dumb Order of the Engineer thing anyway?
Last summer I hiked to Machu Picchu in a group that, coincidentally, had 5 or 6 engineers, mostly from Canada. All the Canadian engineers had their rings on and took them quite seriously. They had a similar mythology to what I had heard about the rings, that they existed because of some collapsed Canadian bridge and that the rings (or the original rings) were made of steel from that bridge.
Article appeared in July issue of PE magazine:

HistoryThe Order of the Engineer ceremony was modeled after Canada's Ritual of the Calling of the Engineer. That ceremony began in 1926, using a wrought iron ring and an oath written by poet Rudyard Kipling. As a common legend goes, the iron for the first rings was collected from the wreckage of the Quebec Bridge, which collapsed twice during construction in the early 1900s and killed more than 80 people. As an article in the October 2001 Engineering Times explains, according to legend, using materials from the failed bridge for the rings reminded Canadian engineers to be humble.

However, according to Jacob Jeswiet, a professor in the mechanical engineering department at Queen's University in Ontario who was cited in the Engineering Times article, that story is a myth. Jeswiet's research indicates that the rings were never made from the bridge materials, nor were they meant to be a reminder of the collapse. Instead, Jeswiet said, the iron ring ceremony was set in motion in 1922 when seven Montreal engineers met to discuss professional solidarity and the engineer's societal responsibilities. They then asked Kipling to write the ceremony because he had referred to engineers in some of his work.

A Canadian engineer who was on the staff at Purdue University, which has been conducting the Order of the Engineer ceremony since the early 1970s, explained to Purdue's longtime Order coordinator and member Robert Jacko, P.E., that in Canada the iron ring is prized by engineering graduates even more than their diploma. "They place a tremendous amount of value on the receipt of the ring," explains Jacko, professor of civil engineering.

How did the ceremony come to the U.S.? In the 1960s, several officers of the Ohio Society of Professional Engineers wanted to bring the Canadian Ritual of the Calling of the Engineer to this country. However, due to copyright restrictions and other legal concerns, transplanting the ritual was not possible. Instead, it was used to inspire a U.S. version. Cleveland State University held the first Order of the Engineer ceremony in 1970. The Order of the Engineer organization was incorporated in Ohio in 1972. It is currently headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona.
full article : http://www.nspe.org/PEmagazine/pe_0709_Called.html

How... gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

When I saw Supe's name in this topic, I had to check it out.

How... gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
suffice it to say anything so dearly prized by our Canadian friends is not very likely to be so highly esteemed anywhere else...except maybe Ohio

I knew there wasn't truth to the rings being made from a bridge! One of those guys swore up and down that it was, and that his father's ring was one of the originals.

Conclusion: Canadians lie.

I knew there wasn't truth to the rings being made from a bridge! One of those guys swore up and down that it was, and that his father's ring was one of the originals.
Conclusion: Canadians lie ain't too bright eh?
fixed it.

Just go to the Diamond park in Arkansas where you can dig your own diamond. :)

In 2001, I got my wife to be a nice half carrot, then got a 1/2 carrot wrap for the wedding. When we got back from the honeymoon, we had them welded together. The same set would cost about double today. I think I spent 800 for the ring and 800 for the wrap.

Wow... I never thought I'd see this thread bumped from an actual new post!

When I proposed I was still a very very broke college student. I ended up buying a ring for $300 on ebay and even at that price I ended up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a few weeks. Honestly Im not even sure its a real diamond.

For our 5th anniversary (June 2010) I bought her a much nicer ring.

Latest posts

Back