How do you lose a 777?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't say that without this:

aliens-meme.jpg

I think it was more because at first no one else was assisting. The US and one other place had sent people and I was more like wth China isn't helping? That made me wonder what they weren't telling everyone else.

No, there have been a lot of countries in the area helping out with the search. US media is just so p!ss poor that you don't hear about any one else assisting.(because, OMG, the Bachelor finale is on!).

This. There are like 10 countries contributing to the search, and China is being especially aggressive since they're under fire from citizens (most of the passengers were Chinese nationals).

I think it was more because at first no one else was assisting. The US and one other place had sent people and I was more like wth China isn't helping? That made me wonder what they weren't telling everyone else.

No, there have been a lot of countries in the area helping out with the search. US media is just so p!ss poor that you don't hear about any one else assisting.(because, OMG, the Bachelor finale is on!).

This. There are like 10 countries contributing to the search, and China is being especially aggressive since they're under fire from citizens (most of the passengers were Chinese nationals).

now they are listing them, but when I was reading the articles yesterday morning (prior to the Bachelor) they listed four countries and ours was the only one providing a ship. The list got longer and longer as the day went on yesterday and eventually included China. If that was because the media was not accurately reporting or because we reacted faster to commit resources, I don't know. I do feel that China should have been either the first or second country involved due to the plane destination and the proximity to their airspace.

I really have no issues with us helping in the search, however while we are all focused on this, we are completely distracted from other major issues and I see our military stepping up on several fronts while budgets are being cut back so of course my initial reaction is going to question the spending.

We currently have 99 ships (but a boat ain't one) deployed out there. I think we were the best positioned, along with aircraft. http://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=146 I'm guessing the one boat hanging out near the location isn't off it's mission. My Navy friends confirm that they do a lot of hanging out at sea, waiting for something. We leave groups out there because they take so long to get places.

Plus, on why China may have taken it's sweet time, isn't always known for it's humanitarian efforts or jumping without having a solid PR plan in place.

If that was because the media was not accurately reporting or because we reacted faster to commit resources, I don't know.

It is because our media flat out sucks, especially when it comes to reporting foreign news.

Granted, they are no great shakes at domestic stuff either, but for foreign news, best look to their news sources.

That is a combination of media corporation cost cutting and the failure of j-school to produce anything but teleprompter readers, and folks who can cut and paste from Reuters.

CW, why isn't the UN taking control of this matter?! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
(Reuters) - Malaysia's military believes a jetliner missing for almost four days turned and flew hundreds of kilometers to the west after it last made contact with civilian air traffic control off the country's east coast, a senior officer told Reuters on Tuesday.

In one of the most baffling mysteries in recent aviation history, a massive search operation for the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200ER has so far found no trace of the aircraft or the 239 passengers and crew.

Malaysian authorities have previously said flight MH370 disappeared about an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur for the Chinese capital Beijing.

"It changed course after Kota Bharu and took a lower altitude. It made it into the Malacca Strait," the senior military officer, who has been briefed on investigations, told Reuters.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/11/us-malaysiaairlines-flight-idUSBREA2701720140311

Remember in 2002 when that A-10 crashed, but before it was found, there was speculation it may be used for an attack on the Olympics?

This is just weird....

(CNN) -- Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 was hundreds of miles off course, traveling in the opposite direction from its original destination and had stopped sending identifying transponder codes before it disappeared, a senior Malaysian Air Force official told CNN Tuesday.

If correct, these are ominous signs that increasingly call into question whether someone in the cockpit might have deliberately steered the plane away from its intended destination, a former U.S. aviation investigator said.

"This kind of deviation in course is simply inexplicable," said Paul Goelz, former managing director of the National Transportation Safety Board.

According to the Malaysian Air Force official, who declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media, the plane's transponder apparently stopped working at about the time flight controllers lost contact with it, near the coast of Vietnam.

The Malaysian Air Force lost track of the plane over Pulau Perak, a tiny island in the Straits of Malacca -- many hundreds of miles from the usual flight path for aircraft traveling between Kuala Lumpur and Beijing, the official said.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/11/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Approximately six hours into the flight, Flight 815 encountered problems with their radio. Having lost contact with ground control, the pilot decided to alter course and "turn back" towards Fiji. Approximately two hours later, having traveled more than 1000 miles off their planned course, the plane hit turbulence, which eventually resulted in the plane's crash. ("Pilot, Part 1") http://lostpedia.wikia.com/
I am just going to keep finding LOST similarities

Isn't there satellite imagery of everything more or less in real time or is the 8 year old Google Maps of my house the best that any country can muster.

Or no country wants to admit that it could follow satellite pictures to the site of the crash...

:dunno:

It's more like hide and seek. There are those who know where they are hiding and are only waiting for the rest of us to catch up.

Latest posts

Back