How did you guys make out?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, as I've been stewing the last few days, I feel pretty good overall about my exam experience. I don't remember exactly who said it, but someone on EB recommended that you stick in your head the feeling you have when you walk away instead of the weeks of doubt before your results come in. I walked away feeling really good about it, but don't want to jinx it!

Now, that being said, there were a few problems that I was either iffy on how to solve or made a minor mistake in (and thankfully caught) and the answer I came up with was a possible solution. So, hopefully there's not very many I feel good about that I made some minor common mistake they were predicting.

I surprisingly finished both the morning and afternoon ahead of time. I went through the morning and felt 99% sure on 30 out of the 40. There were 5 or 6 that I felt 50% confident on and the remaining I was iffy on but, I don't recall flat out guessing on any. Maybe one or two where I tried to "engineer" a logical guess after digging through the MERM. I took the T/F afternoon and walked away feeling like I kicked its ass. There were a couple that I did have to take an educated guess on, but I had time to look them up and eliminated some answers. I finished the problems in about 3 hrs and 15 mins and took 30 mins to go back through them and/or investigate the ones I was unsure on. Again, hopefully I don't feel good about ones that I made some common mistake and got an available answer.

Overall, I feel pretty good because I didn't have to straight up guess due to time. The ones that I was unsure on, I at least had some time to look into them to cancel out some answers or make an educated guess.

All-in-all, I'd say my thoughts after taking the exam are this: I strongly feel that no one walks away feeling like they scored 100%. There's just no way with an exam like this that covers such a wide array of topics and problems. Conversely, if one were to come nowhere near passing, I believe they would know. So, I think it is perfectly normal for us to feel on the fence about our scores. Another EB member stated that they feel 80% of the people who pass the exam probably pass by 5 or less points. I could not agree with this more. So, I obviously have some doubt (units screw ups, answers from common mistakes, etc.), but I really don't think I could feel any better about the exam, knowing that there will always be some doubt in your mind. But, there's always the possibility of doing the problems just well enough to get one of their wrong answers.

I guess I would say the level of difficulty was equivalent to the NCEES practice exams, but I find it really hard to compare tests with different problems. They might have asked questions on the practice exam that were off from someone's knowledge and then the exam was right in their wheelhouse. Or vice versa.

It's gonna be a long few weeks. I'm trying to keep it out of my head because the more I think about it, the more I doubt how confident I felt walking out. Won't be sure until I get a letter in the mail! If I didn't make it, I'm really not sure what I'm going to do to prep next time. I feel like I did all I could this time.

I guess I always had heard that you need a 70% and took it to mean 56 / 80. I hope you are right.
This is what I was mentally basing everything on as well. I went in thinking if I could miss 20 or less I would be good. I think I did, but who knows how many i feel good about that a screwed up.

There are quite a few "fail score" threads in the "anything about the PE" section of EB. I've seen quite a few people conclude that ~55 has been the arena for a cut score in the past. I have also seen quite a few people, such as gaurav0323, state that something much lower was equivalent to a 70%. 46/80 just seems crazy low to me. The other conclusion out of the fail threads is, no one knows, so don't worry about trying to figure it out (good luck with a group of enginerds :) ). So, I went in feeling comfortable that if I could miss less than 20, I should be good.

Here's the link to the "46" thread.

/>http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=16267&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

It's gonna be a long few weeks. I'm trying to keep it out of my head because the more I think about it, the more I doubt how confident I felt walking out. Won't be sure until I get a letter in the mail! If I didn't make it, I'm really not sure what I'm going to do to prep next time. I feel like I did all I could this time.
That's exactly what I'm worried about. I could redo all the problems and practice exams, but it would feel like cheating because I already know how to solve those. Let's not start thinking about that yet though!

Outlaw,

I agree that many disciplines like Civil have a very high cut scores like 55-56/80 question correct = 70%. But you cannot base your assumptions on other branches of engineering. For Mechanical TF/MD/HVAC cut-scores are very low, my buddy who scored 56/80 was on 82% for MD. Also unlike all states Texas releases percentage passing to its candidates. I know my scores and percentage from last time and the reason why I am basing my assumption that 46/80 is passing for MD area.

^^^ Yeah, I should have caveated my statement, saying that the fail score thread gets input from all disciplines and I don't know which disciplines the ~55/80 come from. I wasn't arguing or trying to refute the score you listed. I have seen those as well. I was just stating that I saw a variety and I was mentally picturing if I could get 60 or more, I should be good.

Krakosky,

I think you did fine, don't stress about it! Try to move on with your life....I kinda have not, as I still meander through this board alot. :)

^ LOL. I'll try my best. We need to start a group. Post PE Anonymous. Friday was test day. Saturday was a recovery day of rest and relaxation. And Sunday was like "wait, what's it like to have a life again?"

I feel like I am going through studying withdrawl. And i saved a ton of money studying! now that I have free time I can do things! I liked the April test. Study in the wintertime.

I agree. I also took my FE in April, last year. It's going to suck if I have to take it again and study in the summer. What people refer to as "summer" here in MI anyways. Definitely a drastic change from TX.

How did you guys make out?
Usually in the back of the Buick.........

..... oh... you're talking about the exam.... nevermind. :oops:

... We need to start a group. Post PE Anonymous. Friday was test day. Saturday was a recovery day of rest and relaxation. And Sunday was like "wait, what's it like to have a life again?"
The "group" has been started. It's called EngineerBoards.com - it's like a brotherhood (sisterhood) of all of us who have been in this situation

:waitwall:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mechanica/HVAC. I feel like I passed, but definately didn't ace it. I had to guess on about 8 in the morning and 8 in the afternoon. Half of those were educated meaning I could elimated 1 or 2 answers. The other half was a blind guess. After coming home and checking I realized I guessed right on a least 3 that I guess blindly on so that helped me feel more confident. Still the ones I felt good about I could have made a dumb mistake, so I guess you never know.

Regarding passing scores from what I have heard a 47/80 was a passing score on a past exam. Of course it's curved every time, but from reading the responses here that sounds pretty close to the average.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd have gone insane by now without this board. It really helped during studying and now during the long wait.

Heck yea. boy this is going to be a long 7 more weeks. and knowing NY they'll drag their feet even longer.

:40oz:

This wait is really driving me crazy. I hope that I don't have to study in the summer too. My wife would kill me if I had to be locked in the basement for another three months. Especially since we are having a kid in June. ohh well. 1 week down 7 more to go!

Heck yea. boy this is going to be a long 7 more weeks. and knowing NY they'll drag their feet even longer. :40oz:
I feel that we should have results (majority of states) before memorial weekend. Just a guess looking at past result dates.

Back