Has anyone taken the CBT version of the FE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my exam yesterday for Industrial Engineering Discipline. This is my second attempt with CBT version. Honeslty, first time I failed because I didnot prepare well and messed up my time management. I think most of the problems we can solve with common knowledge, however, finishing it in 3 minutes is the key here - which I think requires lot of practice. This time around I prepared myself better. I'm hoping to pass this time - I thought got 60%-70% (atleast) correct.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Hi, I took mine yesterday.. I took civil.. this was my third freaking time :/ and I hope I passed it too.. How many do you know 100% you got right??
For the morning I 'm confident of 70-80%. For afternoon seesion, I'm confident of 50% correct.
I just received my results and PASSED the FE (Industrial) exam. One big relief after a month of rigorous studying.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Congratulations on passing with your FE (Industrial) exam! I aim to take the FE (Industrial) exam January 2015. What resources did you use to prepare for your FE (Industrial) exam and how effective were they in helping you to prepare? Also, if you could change one thing about the FE (Industrial) exam, what would it be and what is your reason for that change?

Best of luck on your endeavors to make things better for the world!

I took my exam yesterday for Industrial Engineering Discipline. This is my second attempt with CBT version. Honeslty, first time I failed because I didnot prepare well and messed up my time management. I think most of the problems we can solve with common knowledge, however, finishing it in 3 minutes is the key here - which I think requires lot of practice. This time around I prepared myself better. I'm hoping to pass this time - I thought got 60%-70% (atleast) correct.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Hi, I took mine yesterday.. I took civil.. this was my third freaking time :/ and I hope I passed it too.. How many do you know 100% you got right??
For the morning I 'm confident of 70-80%. For afternoon seesion, I'm confident of 50% correct.
I just received my results and PASSED the FE (Industrial) exam. One big relief after a month of rigorous studying.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Congratulations on passing with your FE (Industrial) exam! I aim to take the FE (Industrial) exam January 2015. What resources did you use to prepare for your FE (Industrial) exam and how effective were they in helping you to prepare? Also, if you could change one thing about the FE (Industrial) exam, what would it be and what is your reason for that change?

Best of luck on your endeavors to make things better for the world!
I used " Industrial Discipline-specific Review for the FE/EIT exam by Lindeburg" as the main resource to prepare for the exam. Also, I used FE review manual for Math and Ethics. Trick here is to undersand the concepts and practice more problems. Just spend last two days before exam only for review the materials you studied. One thing I would do different would be to finish morning session as soon as possible. Afternoon session needs more time to work out problems.

Good Luck!

FE4IE,

Having a strong base strategy seems to be important in preparing for the FE (Industrial) Exam so thank you for your answers and advice regarding resources and strategies you recommend in preparing for and taking the FE (Industrial) Exam.

I like the new format much better, I toke it yesterday in Mechanical, 2nd time. I don't have to flip around the reference handbook anymore, so I can find stuff easier and finish the the test faster. I finish 40mins ahead of the 5hr20mins they give me.

Hi,

So you took the Mechanical discipline? How was it? What references did you use?

I am also preparing for Mechanical discipline, I am using only the FE mechanical practice problems by Lindeburg, which is the study companion of FE Mechanical Review manual.

Everything is covered here in this practice problems from the syllabus. Been working through the problems for the last 2.5 months. Over all of the 450 questions in this mechanical practice problem book by Lindeburg I can answer around 90-95% of them correctly.

I'm just anxious about it, thinking if this prep would be enough. I tried answering them as fast I can, my results varies, most of the subjects I always have extra time after finishing off all questions correctly. Its only those fluid mechanics and thermodynamics thats mostly consuming the time to max 3min/problem.

Anyone have used this reference please give me insight how this helps you to prep for the FE Mechanical? Will greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!!!

I like the new format much better, I toke it yesterday in Mechanical, 2nd time. I don't have to flip around the reference handbook anymore, so I can find stuff easier and finish the the test faster. I finish 40mins ahead of the 5hr20mins they give me.

Hi,

I am also preparing for Mechanical discipline, I am using only the FE mechanical practice problems by Lindeburg, which is the study companion of FE Mechanical Review manual.

Everything is covered here in this practice problems from the syllabus. Been working through the problems for the last 2.5 months. Over all of the 450 questions in this mechanical practice problem book by Lindeburg I can answer around 90-95% of them correctly.

I'm just anxious about it, thinking if this prep would be enough. I tried answering them as fast I can, my results varies, most of the subjects I always have extra time after finishing off all questions correctly. Its only those fluid mechanics and thermodynamics thats mostly consuming the time to max 3min/problem.

Anyone have used this reference please give me insight how this helps you to prep for the FE Mechanical? Will greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!!!
I recently took the Mechanical FE and passed, I'm a recent ME graduate. As far as preparation goes I used the Lindeburg review manual, theres one thats floating around online, as well as the FE Pratice Test. Based on my experience, I would say the test was somewhat challenging only because it was a race against time.

Be sure to know where the formulas are on the handbook, and memorize some of the common ones(if you already havent) like the reynolds number, conduction, convection, and radiation, MOI etc. Know how to use the charts especially the psychometric chart and the H134a one. I remember a lot of them from the back of my head so I never really had to keep looking in the handbook for every single one. Pay attention to units and sig figs, and manage your time accordingly.

The only section I had trouble with is last section, which is the Mechanical Engineering and design section, read that section a few times and try to get a feel of where are the different formulas located.

I will try to update this if I remember something else, but these are my takeaways from the test. There are also some posts on reddit regarding the FE Exam if you want to read them.

Good Luck! Let us know how you did!

Hi,

Thanks!!!
I recently took the Mechanical FE and passed, I'm a recent ME graduate. As far as preparation goes I used the Lindeburg review manual, theres one thats floating around online, as well as the FE Pratice Test. Based on my experience, I would say the test was somewhat challenging only because it was a race against time.

Be sure to know where the formulas are on the handbook, and memorize some of the common ones(if you already havent) like the reynolds number, conduction, convection, and radiation, MOI etc. Know how to use the charts especially the psychometric chart and the H134a one. I remember a lot of them from the back of my head so I never really had to keep looking in the handbook for every single one. Pay attention to units and sig figs, and manage your time accordingly.

The only section I had trouble with is last section, which is the Mechanical Engineering and design section, read that section a few times and try to get a feel of where are the different formulas located.

I will try to update this if I remember something else, but these are my takeaways from the test. There are also some posts on reddit regarding the FE Exam if you want to read them.

Good Luck! Let us know how you did!

Congrats buddy!

Yup! Ill keep you posted! Thanks for the input!

The best way to prepare for the FE and PE exams is to study the topics listed by NCEES until you understand the fundamental concepts, principles and practices pertaining to those topics listed. Then solve problems in the NCEES books as well as basic problems in some text books and other sources. Also do not get hung up on particular problems or solutions to problems, but undersatnd the priciples behind the solutions as they relate to the topics. There really is not a single stand alone source that contains all of the topics listed by NCEES, you just have to obtain the basics about those topics from multiple sources. As far as the FE exam, the best place start is to become very familiar with the reference manual provided by NCEES. Learn / Re-learn and understand the principlescontained in the reference guide, then begin to solve the problems in the practice exam provided by NCEES, but also solve problems from other multiple sources. If you learn to understand the principles behind those formulas and laws ect. (use your text books to for clarification of principles, theorems or laws that may not be clear in the manual) contained in the reference manual, then you will be able to solve the majority of the problems on the actual FE exam correctly. Again, do not go into the exam expecting to see problems that were on practice exams, but expect to see the fundamental principles listed in the NCCES topics for the specific exams.

The best way to prepare for the FE and PE exams is to study the topics listed by NCEES until you understand the fundamental concepts, principles and practices pertaining to those topics listed. Then solve problems in the NCEES books as well as basic problems in some text books and other sources. Also do not get hung up on particular problems or solutions to problems, but undersatnd the priciples behind the solutions as they relate to the topics. There really is not a single stand alone source that contains all of the topics listed by NCEES, you just have to obtain the basics about those topics from multiple sources. As far as the FE exam, the best place start is to become very familiar with the reference manual provided by NCEES. Learn / Re-learn and understand the principlescontained in the reference guide, then begin to solve the problems in the practice exam provided by NCEES, but also solve problems from other multiple sources. If you learn to understand the principles behind those formulas and laws ect. (use your text books to for clarification of principles, theorems or laws that may not be clear in the manual) contained in the reference manual, then you will be able to solve the majority of the problems on the actual FE exam correctly. Again, do not go into the exam expecting to see problems that were on practice exams, but expect to see the fundamental principles listed in the NCCES topics for the specific exams.

Hi JB,

Ofc not expecting it to be the same. Just saying that behind all these principles, there are still level of difficulty of the problems. There are problems, can be done int 2 equations and there are some you derive up to 5 equations.

those people who took the new format will not understand our struggle ! lol

It was a battle of 8 hour marathon prepping us for the PE exam later

And we get a pencil out of the whole deal yahoo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Or 3

I took the paper and pencil FE twice, and the CBT FE twice. Believe me, I know the struggle is real! LOL

I did think the CBT FE was easier though. I'm glad it's discipline specific now. There was a lot of topics on the old format that I never had a class in school for (or just didn't pay attention much when I took those classes because they weren't specific to my discipline).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took FE CBT Mechanical discipline today. Wheeeeew!

I think I got around (45/55) on first part. and maybe (37-40)/55 on the second part. What is the least passing mark?

Noone knows the passing score, it varies based on how others did on the test as well.

Based on how many you think you got right, I'd say you're in the clear. You'll get your results on Wednesday. Best of luck ?

Noone knows the passing score, it varies based on how others did on the test as well.

Based on how many you think you got right, I'd say you're in the clear. You'll get your results on Wednesday. Best of luck
How do you know its Wednesday? You mean this coming 20th? Pretty sure, that's the least I should get. But I know for sure i blew the controls subject, which is like the last 44-48th question.

We don't need to get above average of all subjects to pass do we? Hope it is based on overall average?

It seems the scores are always released on Wednesdays. I remember seeing a post here somewhere that the scores are released in batches. (I got my score on a Wednesday lol)

And you dont need above average on every subject, it's based on overall average.

It seems the scores are always released on Wednesdays. I remember seeing a post here somewhere that the scores are released in batches. (I got my score on a Wednesday lol)

And you dont need above average on every subject, it's based on overall average.
Around what time? EST?

Back