Has anyone taken the CBT version of the FE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also learned that I passed the Other Discipline today, woohoo! Congrats to the others who passed, we did it!

Most of the info here is spot on from my experience, but the most important advice I can give is to rest the day before the exam. Sounds like generic advice, but trust me, having a fresh mind beats anything you can cram in the last day. I started off the exam well jacked up on caffiene but I began to crash by the time I started the 2nd section. My pace really got screwed up and with five minutes left, I had 11 questions unanswered. At that I point I said "screw it" and used the random number generator on my calculator and guessed the remaining questions. Definitely not a good way to end the exam. Luckily it appears I did well enough on the rest of the exam.

Also the second section is more time consuming than the first section, so you should be done well before countdown timer hits 2:40. Just pace yourselves and you should be fine. Good luck future exam takers. This isn't an indepth exam by any means, but it's difficult because it covers a lot of topics.

I also learned that I passed the Other Discipline today, woohoo! Congrats to the others who passed, we did it!

Most of the info here is spot on from my experience, but the most important advice I can give is to rest the day before the exam. Sounds like generic advice, but trust me, having a fresh mind beats anything you can cram in the last day. I started off the exam well jacked up on caffiene but I began to crash by the time I started the 2nd section. My pace really got screwed up and with five minutes left, I had 11 questions unanswered. At that I point I said "screw it" and used the random number generator on my calculator and guessed the remaining questions. Definitely not a good way to end the exam. Luckily it appears I did well enough on the rest of the exam.

Also the second section is more time consuming than the first section, so you should be done well before countdown timer hits 2:40. Just pace yourselves and you should be fine. Good luck future exam takers. This isn't an indepth exam by any means, but it's difficult because it covers a lot of topics.
I am a civil too. But out of school for more than 20 years and have been working as a civil engineering project coordinator and manager in overseas. I took the others option one time and failed horribly. Now, I am preparing to take it again would you device others again or Civil? Already have the other material but people are advising to take the civil. Any input on this matter is appreciated.

Thanks

I am a civil too. But out of school for more than 20 years and have been working as a civil engineering project coordinator and manager in overseas. I took the others option one time and failed horribly. Now, I am preparing to take it again would you device others again or Civil? Already have the other material but people are advising to take the civil. Any input on this matter is appreciated.

Thanks
Unfortunately I can't help you much there since I don't know how difficult the Civil one is. I picked other disciplines because looking at the topics covered, it looked easier to me. I switched majors twice, so I had a solid understanding of thermodynamics and circuits before I started perparing for the FE exam. Usually civil engineers don't take those classes so I imagine learning those new topics is more time consuming. But either way, 20 years out of school has gotta be really tough. I would say pick the exam that has more topics you're familiar with.

I like the new format much better, I toke it yesterday in Mechanical, 2nd time. I don't have to flip around the reference handbook anymore, so I can find stuff easier and finish the the test faster. I finish 40mins ahead of the 5hr20mins they give me.

I like the new format much better, I toke it yesterday in Mechanical, 2nd time. I don't have to flip around the reference handbook anymore, so I can find stuff easier and finish the the test faster. I finish 40mins ahead of the 5hr20mins they give me.
Hello there, I'm very glad that you were able to finish the exam 40 minutes ahead! THAT'S AMAZING!!

You mind if I ask, How much time did you spend on the first and second section? And what was your strategy?? I'm taking this exam on the 29th of this month :)

Hello there, I'm very glad that you were able to finish the exam 40 minutes ahead! THAT'S AMAZING!!

You mind if I ask, How much time did you spend on the first and second section? And what was your strategy?? I'm taking this exam on the 29th of this month :)

I didn't have much of a strategy Ruskyline. I just study for it. I just go over the study book I bought from Michael R. Lindeburg, and try to work all the problems they provide. I did skip ethics, chemistry, and biology section. It is not that hard if you study for it, most of the problem is either plug and chug or word problem that can find answer in the search menu. Many people I know pass without even study for the exam, that prove the difficulty of the exam. I did try that the first time, didn't work.I did pass the 2nd time by the way.

1st section I did it in 2 hours

Good luck on exam day

Good Morning all,

I took my Electrical and Computer Fundamental of Engineering Examination on October 18th, 2014. And thank you all especially the person who mentioned about the date & time when the NCEES publishes the result. I just passed the exam, pretty intense one that. I would be glad to address any questions since most of the exam is still fresh in my memory.

Thank you

I took my exam yesterday for Industrial Engineering Discipline. This is my second attempt with CBT version. Honeslty, first time I failed because I didnot prepare well and messed up my time management. I think most of the problems we can solve with common knowledge, however, finishing it in 3 minutes is the key here - which I think requires lot of practice. This time around I prepared myself better. I'm hoping to pass this time - I thought got 60%-70% (atleast) correct.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

I took my exam yesterday for Industrial Engineering Discipline. This is my second attempt with CBT version. Honeslty, first time I failed because I didnot prepare well and messed up my time management. I think most of the problems we can solve with common knowledge, however, finishing it in 3 minutes is the key here - which I think requires lot of practice. This time around I prepared myself better. I'm hoping to pass this time - I thought got 60%-70% (atleast) correct.

Hi, I took mine yesterday.. I took civil.. this was my third freaking time :/ and I hope I passed it too.. How many do you know 100% you got right??

How was the civil CBT exam. I will be taking it in January. It will be my first time taking the CBT exam, third time overall and really hoping to pass this time too. First two times i took general, and for my third time decided i will be taking the civil discipline. i have been studying about 4 hours a day for past 2 weeks. And will be studying every day until my exam.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Sergio

Ruskyline how long have you been out of school. I have been out of school for 6 years. Any tips on exam day since you have already taken the cbt version

Hi, I took mine yesterday.. I took civil.. this was my third freaking time :/ and I hope I passed it too.. How many do you know 100% you got right??
For the morning I 'm confident of 70-80%. For afternoon seesion, I'm confident of 50% correct.

How was the civil CBT exam. I will be taking it in January. It will be my first time taking the CBT exam, third time overall and really hoping to pass this time too. First two times i took general, and for my third time decided i will be taking the civil discipline. i have been studying about 4 hours a day for past 2 weeks. And will be studying every day until my exam.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Sergio
Good luck! Key is to work out more problems. Just go through the basics and start practicising problems as soon as you can.

Ruskyline how long have you been out of school. I have been out of school for 6 years. Any tips on exam day since you have already taken the cbt version
I've been out of school for about the same time. The only tip I have is to study at least for 3 months consistently. I bought the FE Review manual, paid $50 for FE quiz bank which I saw many similar problems on the actual exam and I finally purchased the civil practice exam which is $50 by the officials website.

For the morning I 'm confident of 70-80%. For afternoon seesion, I'm confident of 50% correct.
I just received my results and PASSED the FE (Industrial) exam. One big relief after a month of rigorous studying.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Latest posts

Back