Has anyone taken the CBT version of the FE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I review all 110 questions at the end of the exam?

No. At the start of the exam you will be notified of how many questions you must answer before your scheduled 25 minute break, which is optional. After you complete the said amount of questions and hit submit, you will no longer be able to review/edit that section.

Took the cbt others test today. Must say, the electronic reference manual certainly helps! Also the shorter time duration helps. Please know that once you are done with a section, you cannot go back to it. I went through 5 books of rough work as the units conversions were brutal. I wish they could test a concept rather than having us do robotic calcs that test nothing. I also got a couple of problems that were nowhere in the reference manual. I came back home and spent 30 mins looking for the answer in the reference manual - it wasn't there. Also, they incorrectly mentioned a unit of ft^2 for a VOLUME. This was an error in the test problem for sure. Anyone know if we can report it to someone? Anyway, fingers crossed now waiting for the result.

Congratulation to Amit.. and those who have passed their FE CBT exam

I’m just new to this forum, looking some good suggestion and help to pass this exam. Really appreciate. I try couple of yrs back to pass this exam but failed few times. I was graduate 20 yrs back.

Amit - Would you like to share your thoughts in terms of paper exam Vs CBT. If you have both experience and also I think you took FE other discipline exam does new CBT exam will go to the same as old paper patterns i-e Some topics covered in morning session did not appear in other session.

Thanks

GenEng, The key to this exam is time management and doing lots of problems. I mean LOTS of problems. I did so many problems that I started to remember unit conversions. I felt the CBT was of the same difficulty as the paper exam. just shorter duration. I actually felt my second session for CBT was slightly harder than what I had seen in the paper based test. The CBT exam goes down the list of subjects and doesn't repeat questions. For example, all maths questions will be first in the exam, then the second topic will be probability/statistics, last topic will be heat transfer/thermodynamics etc. In your second session, you will not see any math problems. The order of questions, follows the order of subjects listed in the syllabus. Do many many problems...the more problems you can do the better. Also, remember to give practice exams to get your timing right a week or so before the exam.

I gave the exam on a weekend, and got my result on Wednesday morning at 11am. All the best for your test! Don't give up and remember..do problems, problems and more problems!

CntrlEng, Congratulation to passed the exam and thx for input. Its was helpful.

Thanks for remind time management thing and I'm working on it. When you say practice "LOTS of Problems" Is that mean FE Review Manual By Lindeburg? or some thing more... Could you please explain it also what books you review during exam preparation..

Looks like CBT exam Sequence will go from Math to Dynamics and 25 mints break option I guess... 2nd session start from strength of materials to Heat, Mass and Eng transfer..

Yes, do problems from Lindburg big book. I also studied school of PE notes and did all their problems. I also bought a book called 1001 problems for fe exam by lindeburg and would do at least 60 problems per day in the month before the exam.

Hi guys, I took the FE Other Descipline today. I thought I'd share my experience with you. Here they are:

1) I have been out of school for more than 8 years. I studied about three months for this exam.

2) I used Lindeburg's FERM as my main review material. I feel that the problems in the real exam are easier than those in the FERM.

3) I didn't review all topics in my preparation. Specifically, I didn't review chemistry, biology, electrical stuff, computer, material science. However, I did put a lot of time on math, statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics.

3) In the real exam, problems were grouped by topics. They didn't appear randomly.

4) I answered 57 problems in the first section and 53 in the second section. The second section was harder than the first section. I spent about two hours on the first section and about three hours on the second section.

5) All math problems were in the first section.

6) All engineering economics problems were in the first section.

7) Almost all statics, dynamics, material mechanics, fulid mechanics and thermodynamics problems were in the second section.

8) There were 2~3 safety problems.

9) There were a few problems that I couldn't find formula in the FE Handbook.

I think that's all. If you want to know other information just ask.

Hope this helps.

I took the other disciplines exam yesterday and my experience was identical to yours.

I was disappointed that you couldn't jump to a specific section... I kept waiting for heat transfer and thermo to come up (my strong points), but they didn't appear until the very end... I ran out of time for the last 8 questions and had to straight guess.

I'm not sure how I did... how do you think you did?

I took the other disciplines exam yesterday and my experience was identical to yours.

I was disappointed that you couldn't jump to a specific section... I kept waiting for heat transfer and thermo to come up (my strong points), but they didn't appear until the very end... I ran out of time for the last 8 questions and had to straight guess.

I think I did well. Will update when the score is out.

I feel the same. Took the CE yesterday and I didn't have enough time for the second portion of the test so I had to guess like 8-10 problems eeekk!! I'm very anxious I wish I would have spent less time in the first part

I feel the same. Took the CE yesterday and I didn't have enough time for the second portion of the test so I had to guess like 8-10 problems eeekk!! I'm very anxious I wish I would have spent less time in the first part
How much time did you spend in the first section? How many problems did you need to solve in the first section?

I had 57 questions in the first section and split the time down the middle... I should have taken the break when I finished the first section, but instead I spent the remaining 30 min looking at problems I was unsure of. I had trouble re-focusing after the break and time management went downhill.

This waiting is killing me! I don't know how people used to wait WEEKS to find out!

How much time did you spend in the first section? How many problems did you need to solve in the first section?
I spend half of the time, so I spend about 2 hr and 10-15 mins.. I could have easily submitted it 15 mins earlier. But now when I think about it, those were easy points and I tried to miss as few as possible. The second portion I guessed like 8-10 problems and those were not easy for me, so even if I had 30 mins extra time, maybe I would solve no more than 1 or 2. First section 50 or 51, second section 110-(first section) .

I had 57 questions in the first section and split the time down the middle... I should have taken the break when I finished the first section, but instead I spent the remaining 30 min looking at problems I was unsure of. I had trouble re-focusing after the break and time management went downhill.

This waiting is killing me! I don't know how people used to wait WEEKS to find out!
I hope you passed mate, I hope we both passed :dance:

Back