Failing Letters

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Failed
Environmental 75 6/8

Geotechnical 25 2/8

Structural 88 7/8

Transportation 75 6/8

Water Resources 50 4/8

Traffic Analysis 56 5/9

Transportation Planning and Construction 38 3/8

Geometric Design/Traffic Safety 78 7/9

Geotechncal 83 5/6

Water Resources 50 4/8

what's my score?
Score is 49/80

Failed
Environmental 75 6/8

Geotechnical 25 2/8

Structural 88 7/8

Transportation 75 6/8

Water Resources 50 4/8

Traffic Analysis 56 5/9

Transportation Planning and Construction 38 3/8

Geometric Design/Traffic Safety 78 7/9

Geotechncal 83 5/6

Water Resources 50 4/8

what's my score? Score is 49/80

How do you determine the number of correct scores on SE1 diagnostic? Topics are not equally weighed in the exam, there are 10 items in the diagnostic. I am also curious about the cut score (number of correct answers). I will post my diagnostic later, and look for any advice for October exam...

after seeing the two diagnostics listed above, I'm pretty embarrassed.I honestly thought I did great on the exam, and to my horror I did VERY

poorly. but here's my diagnostics anyway...took the Controls depth module:

Basic ELE - Professionalism and Eng. Econ 50%

Basic ELE - Safety and Reliability 33%

Basic ELE - Electric Circuits 60%

Basic ELE - Electric and Magnetic Field Theory 100%

Basic ELE - Computer Systems and Engr 100%

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Components 50%

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Materials 100%

Controls and Communications Systems 50%

Power - Transmission and Distribution 20%

Power - Rotation Machines and Electromagnetic Devices 33%

General EE Knowledge - Measurement & Instrumentation 50%

General EE Knowledge - Interpret of Codes & Standards 100%

General EE Knowledge - Computer Systems 0%

Electronics - Electrical Circuit Theory 25%

Electronics - Electric & Magnetic Field Theory & Applications 33%

Electronics - Components & Circuits 29%

Control System Fundamentals 20%

Control System Design/Implementation 100%

Controls - Stability 25%

Communications & Signal Processing 50%

Communications - Noise & Interference 67%

Telecommunications 33%
No reason to be embarrased. Period. Regroup yourself and go for it again. If you don't do that then be embarrased.

I've said this here many times and will say it again. No shame in taking a fall. The shame is if you stay down.

With that being said don't give up. Check the EE PE section and post questions here. Someone will help you. Take my word for that.

Good Luck in October 07!!!!!

Taking the percentages of correct per section gives you 79% of the 40 afternoon questions correct which works out to 31 correct.
23+31 = 54 out of 80....which is close.....but then you have to factor in the black magic....so who knows...but you were really close...I know that doesn't help...I went down the same way last year....still in the hope mode for the April results.....but not holding my breath....
Wow. 54/80 is 67.5%, just 2 questions below a 70. Is it possible for the cut score to be above the 70% mark (56 correct) in any case. Anyone know? I am assuming answering 56 correct is an automatic Pass. Am I correct?

okay, I will try to post my diagnostic tonight, i would like to figure out my score. be gentle, i know it wasn't good. :(

Gator

This really hurts - I got hammered. Looks like I scored in the low 40s. Can someone look at this? Thanks.

Breadth

Environmental 50

Geotechnical 88

Structural 75

Transpo 38 (What is up?)

Water 50

Depth (Geotech)

Subsurface - 67

Soil Mech - 22 (no way)

Foundations - 44 (this hurts)

Retaining Struct / Seismic 75

Environ - 75

Struct - 50

Trans - 50

Not too pretty - but there it is. I know it is not close, but I felt really REALLY good about the afternoon, and I got murdered. I just opened the letter 10 minutes ago and I am numb - not so much by the FAIL, but by this diagnostic.

PEPG,

Historically, the geotech PM session is the hardest of the five. The thing is, the sections that you think you have studied and knew well, they throw questions that totally confuse the **** out of you. Then you get flustered and off track, not being able to regroup. Which is what happened to me, I think...

By my calculations, you got 47/80, which is exactly what I got this time around with Geotech PM too...

I will post my diagnostic when I get home.

ktulu

This really hurts - I got hammered. Looks like I scored in the low 40s. Can someone look at this? Thanks.
Breadth

Environmental 50 4/8

Geotechnical 88

Structural 75

Transpo 38 (What is up?)

Water 50

Depth (Geotech)

Subsurface - 67

Soil Mech - 22 (no way)

Foundations - 44 (this hurts)

Retaining Struct / Seismic 75

Environ - 75

Struct - 50

Trans - 50

Not too pretty - but there it is. I know it is not close, but I felt really REALLY good about the afternoon, and I got murdered. I just opened the letter 10 minutes ago and I am numb - not so much by the FAIL, but by this diagnostic.

Breadth

Environmental 50 4/8

Geotechnical 88 7/8

Structural 75 6/8

Transpo 38 3/8

Water 50 4/8

Depth (Geotech)

Subsurface - 67 2/3

Soil Mech - 22 2/9

Foundations - 44 4/9

Retaining Struct / Seismic 75 4/5 ? Not sure

Environ - 75 3/4

Struct - 50 4/8

Trans - 50 1/2

44/80

Last edited by a moderator:
This really hurts - I got hammered. Looks like I scored in the low 40s. Can someone look at this? Thanks.[
Yeah. It does hurt. I only had 37 correct answers the first time I took the test my friend.

I just knew I was way much better than that and used it as motivation. Shake it off and go for it again.

You are going to make it. Believe me. You will make it next time. I am perfect on that kind of predictions.

Yeah. It does hurt. I only had 37 correct answers the first time I took the test my friend.
I just knew I was way much better than that and used it as motivation. Shake it off and go for it again.

You are going to make it. Believe me. You will make it next time. I am perfect on that kind of predictions.
Luis - thanks for the prediction. I have heard of your "prophetic prowess"! Lets hope you maintain 100% accuracy through at least next January.

BreadthEnvironmental 50 4/8

Geotechnical 88 7/8

Structural 75 6/8

Transpo 38 3/8

Water 50 4/8

Depth (Geotech)

Subsurface - 67 4/6 Not sure

Soil Mech - 22 2/9

Foundations - 44 4/9

Retaining Struct / Seismic 75 3/4 Not sure

Environ - 75 3/4 Not sure

Struct - 50 2/4 Not sure

Trans - 50 2/4 Not sure

44/80
DVINNY - figuring out the afternoon confuses me too. I appreciate your input. I came up with a couple less, ktulu came up with a few more. Bottom line is FAIL. I really got hurt in the morning. I could have done better than that. Transpo and Water were at the back end of the test, I remember feeling real fried by the time I got to those sections. No excuse for 3 of 8 in any section, that is for sure.

PEPG,
Historically, the geotech PM session is the hardest of the five. The thing is, the sections that you think you have studied and knew well, they throw questions that totally confuse the **** out of you. Then you get flustered and off track, not being able to regroup. Which is what happened to me, I think...

By my calculations, you got 47/80, which is exactly what I got this time around with Geotech PM too...

I will post my diagnostic when I get home.

ktulu
ktulu - thanks. I remember you said you thought the afternoon was hard. I thought it was OK. Obviously, I must have fallen for decoy answers or something, because I tanked. The FAIL was tough enough, but realizing I was so off in the afternoon is very disappointing.

Breadth

Environmental - 88%

Geotechnical - 88%

Structural - 38%

Transportation - 88%

Water Resources - 38%

27/40

Depth

Subsurface Exploration & Sampling - 67%

Engineering Properties & Soil Mechaniics - 33%

Foundations - 22%

Earth Retaining Structures & Seismic Engineering - 60%

Environmental - 75%

Structural - 38%

Transportation - 100%

21/40

Total - 48/80

I basically flip-flopped from last time, in terms of the percentages...

ktulu

I know nothing in particular about civil and what subject relates to what. But from my limited knowlege it looks to me like you might be more of a transportation expert. Your scores there are really good. People seem to think this geotech depth thing is pretty tough.

BreadthEnvironmental - 88%

Geotechnical - 88%

Structural - 38%

Transportation - 88%

Water Resources - 38%

27/40

Depth

Subsurface Exploration & Sampling - 67%

Engineering Properties & Soil Mechaniics - 33%

Foundations - 22%

Earth Retaining Structures & Seismic Engineering - 60%

Environmental - 75%

Structural - 38%

Transportation - 100%

21/40

Total - 48/80

I basically flip-flopped from last time, in terms of the percentages...

ktulu
Breadth

Environmental 88 7/8

Geotechnical 88 7/8

Structural 38 3/8

Transpo 88 7/8

Water 38 3/8

Depth (Geotech)

Subsurface - 67 2/3

Soil Mech - 33 3/9

Foundations - 22 2/9

Retaining Struct / Seismic 60 3/5

Environ - 75 3/4

Struct - 38 3/8

Trans - 50 1/2

44/80

Wow. 54/80 is 67.5%, just 2 questions below a 70. Is it possible for the cut score to be above the 70% mark (56 correct) in any case. Anyone know? I am assuming answering 56 correct is an automatic Pass. Am I correct?
We always assumed they scaled up, but there's nothing to say they can't scale down if they think a PE aught to score a raw 80% on a particular exam.

I know nothing in particular about civil and what subject relates to what. But from my limited knowlege it looks to me like you might be more of a transportation expert. Your scores there are really good. People seem to think this geotech depth thing is pretty tough.
Benbo - there are only two tranportation questions in the afternoon on the geotech section. the 100% is misleading.

I Failed the MA Environmental PE. Actually I think I did a lot worse than I had anticipated.

Emission Sources 0

Potable Water 18

Public Health and Saftety 22

Remediation 25

MSW 30

Wastewater 36

Stormwater 50

Water Resources 50

Control Strategies 50

Environmental Assessment 56

Ambient Air 63

Hazardous Waste 80

How do I find out how many questions were in each subject, so I know how poorly I really did.

Back