Failing Letters

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got the Trans in the bag. Do more Soil and Struc probs. You'll get it.
thanks,

transportation is our company's bread and butter, so i figured that wouldn't be a problem

but geo. and structures are like a different language to me. at least now its winter so I think

that the "outside" distractions will not lure me from studying for the April exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks,
transportation is our company's bread and butter, so i figured that wouldn't be a problem

but geo. and structures are like a different language to me. at least now its winter so I think

that the "outside" distractions will not lure me from studying for the April exam.
I concur that your transportation depth scores are solid, you just need some help in the breadth areas.

FWIW - there is a pretty good EB.com study group that has gotten started for the April 08 exam. They are concentrating on geotechnical (soil mechanics) right now --> http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=5125

I am following that thread to see if anyone needs help with geotechnical problems. My MS Degree (soon-to-be) is concentrated in geotechnical engineering, so please feel free to post with questions! :)

JR

Basic ELE - Professionalism and Eng. Econ 50% 1/2

Basic ELE - Safety and Reliability 67% 2/3

Basic ELE - Electric Circuits 60% 6/10

Basic ELE - Electric and Magnetic Field Theory 0% 0/1

Basic ELE - Computer Systems and Engr 100% 2/2

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Components 50% 3/6

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Materials 50% 1/2

Controls and Communications Systems 50% 3/6

Power - Transmission and Distribution 80% 4/5

Power - Rotation Machines and Electromagnetic Devices 33% 1/3

General Power - Measurement & Instrumentation 50% 1/2

General Power- Special Applications 100% 1/1

General Power- Codes, Standards, and Applications 100% 3/3

Circuit Analysis - Analysis 17% 1/6

Circuit Analysis - Devices and power Electronic Devices 67% 2/3

Circuit Analysis - Electric and Magnetic Fields and Applications 100% 2/2

Rotating Machines - 57% 4/7

Electromagnetic Devices 0% 0/4

Transmission and Distribution - Systems Analysis 17% 1/6

Transmission and Distribution - Power Systems Performance 50% 1/2

Transmission and Distribution - Protection 50% 2/4

My diagnostics from the Oct. '08 exam. 23 of 40 in the AM, 18 of 40 in the PM. Ideas from anyone that can help me improve are appreciated.

Basic ELE - Professionalism and Eng. Econ 50% 1/2Basic ELE - Safety and Reliability 67% 2/3

Basic ELE - Electric Circuits 60% 6/10

Basic ELE - Electric and Magnetic Field Theory 0% 0/1

Basic ELE - Computer Systems and Engr 100% 2/2

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Components 50% 3/6

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Materials 50% 1/2

Controls and Communications Systems 50% 3/6

Power - Transmission and Distribution 80% 4/5

Power - Rotation Machines and Electromagnetic Devices 33% 1/3

General Power - Measurement & Instrumentation 50% 1/2

General Power- Special Applications 100% 1/1

General Power- Codes, Standards, and Applications 100% 3/3

Circuit Analysis - Analysis 17% 1/6

Circuit Analysis - Devices and power Electronic Devices 67% 2/3

Circuit Analysis - Electric and Magnetic Fields and Applications 100% 2/2

Rotating Machines - 57% 4/7

Electromagnetic Devices 0% 0/4

Transmission and Distribution - Systems Analysis 17% 1/6

Transmission and Distribution - Power Systems Performance 50% 1/2

Transmission and Distribution - Protection 50% 2/4

My diagnostics from the Oct. '08 exam. 23 of 40 in the AM, 18 of 40 in the PM. Ideas from anyone that can help me improve are appreciated.
I took and passed the October 07 Electrical PE exam. For some reason, I remember there was an unusual amount of Code questions in the afternoon Power exam. Much more than 3. So although the breakdowns give you a good idea of what areas need improvement. I don't necessarily think that the number of questions per classification are consistnent from exam to exam.

I took and passed the October 07 Electrical PE exam. For some reason, I remember there was an unusual amount of Code questions in the afternoon Power exam. Much more than 3. So although the breakdowns give you a good idea of what areas need improvement. I don't necessarily think that the number of questions per classification are consistnent from exam to exam.
Thanks. I don't remember there being that many code questions in my afternoon session (although I wish there were). I made the number of problems work out w/ the percentages they gave on my diagnostic sheet and also looked at another post from earlier in this thread. I look at the percentages this way, I need to put in more time studying and working problems than I did last time (hardly any due to work and wife's pregnancy/birth of my daughter).

Thanks. I don't remember there being that many code questions in my afternoon session (although I wish there were). I made the number of problems work out w/ the percentages they gave on my diagnostic sheet and also looked at another post from earlier in this thread. I look at the percentages this way, I need to put in more time studying and working problems than I did last time (hardly any due to work and wife's pregnancy/birth of my daughter).

Congratulations on your Daughters birth KEG. Wish I had an excuse. I got killed in the AM, 20 plus years out of school, Architectural degree, real hard time grasping the more theoretical stuff.

I agree, don't recall as many code questions, wish there were too. I got killed on controls, couldn't tell you if there were 6 on that. So I think they are representative more than definitive. Also I got 100 on Rotating Machines, hard to imagine i got SEVEN right...

GL in April

Congratulations on your Daughters birth KEG. Wish I had an excuse. I got killed in the AM, 20 plus years out of school, Architectural degree, real hard time grasping the more theoretical stuff.
I agree, don't recall as many code questions, wish there were too. I got killed on controls, couldn't tell you if there were 6 on that. So I think they are representative more than definitive. Also I got 100 on Rotating Machines, hard to imagine i got SEVEN right...

GL in April
Not to be an a** or anything but you are including numbers of questions, etc in a test that you are legally not even supposed to discuss and you are doing so on the internet?

Not to be an a** or anything but you are including numbers of questions, etc in a test that you are legally not even supposed to discuss and you are doing so on the internet?

Duly noted. I did not realize that the number of questions was an issue. I thought that you could not discuss content of the questions. You are correct, though, no point taking chances. Sorry.

As a reminder, when you took the NCEES examination you signed an agreement that included the statement that you agreed you “will not reveal in whole or part any exam questions, answers, problems, or solutions to anyone during or after the exam, whether orally, in writing, or any internet chat rooms , or otherwise.” This agreement also stated that failure to comply with this could invalidate your exam results.
Doesn't sounds like he's doing anything wrong to me. Besides, on the NCEES website they post the test breakdown by percentage of problems in a given area.

If I say the wastewater questions were tough, that's fine. If I ask on Problem X how did you size your secondary clarifier that's no good.

If I say the wastewater questions were tough, that's fine. If I ask on Problem X how did you size your secondary clarifier that's no good.
What about the NCEES blanket statement: not to discuss anything about the content vs our freedom of speech 1st Amend rights. I need a lawyer.

I'm afraid to post my diagnostic.

Doesn't sounds like he's doing anything wrong to me. Besides, on the NCEES website they post the test breakdown by percentage of problems in a given area.
No Offense but you are not part of his State's Professional Engineering Board or the NCEES. I'd be careful on what I post- dont want to end up being a subject of an NCEES exam subversion meeting..... My 2 cents (I am no part of NCEES neither so I am not going to speculate on whether what he is discussing is legal or not but after studying that much, paying all that money and waiting so long for results, WHY RISK IT? To each it's own I guess...

No Offense but you are not part of his State's Professional Engineering Board or the NCEES. I'd be careful on what I post- dont want to end up being a subject of an NCEES exam subversion meeting..... My 2 cents (I am no part of NCEES neither so I am not going to speculate on whether what he is discussing is legal or not but after studying that much, paying all that money and waiting so long for results, WHY RISK IT? To each it's own I guess...
Folks from NCEES monitor this site, diagnostics have long been reported and posted here. If they had a problem with it I think they would have mentioned something.

If you aren't comfortable posting that kind of information then you don't have to, but I wouldn't discourage others from doing the same. It's a useful tool to discuss what areas members should focus on for their next exam.

There is nothing wrong with discussing the number of any 'type' of problems on a test, as stated above it is given on the NCEES website as to the breakdown of questions.

That is not a security breach by any means. Specific questions recited at near word for word is what is prohibited, and it has happened here before and NCEES was on it within minutes (which shows they must monitor this board as a guest on a regular basis)

if NCEES had issues with the discussions in this thread, I think we would have been made aware of it.

DV and RW are right.

You'll be ok posting your % results. Just don't post "question X had you do Y and Z and I got answer K."

If anyone's interested, here's my diagnostic for my Chemical October 2006 exam, when I failed with a 66.

Mass/Energy: Mass Balances 63%

Mass/Energy: Energy Balances & Thermo 50%

Fluids: Fluid Transport 50%

Fluids: Mech-Energy Balance 22%

Fluids: Flow Measurement 67%

Heat Transfer: Mechanisms 80%

Heat Transfer: Applications 13%

Mass Transfer: Phase Equilibria 75%

Mass Transfer: Contactors (Absorption-etc) 20%

Mass Transfer: Miscellaneous Separation Processes 0%

Kinetics: Reaction Parameters 100%

Kinetics: Reaction Rate 100%

Kinetics: Reactor Design & Evaluation 33%

Kinetics: Heterogeneous Reaction Systems 100%

Plant Design/Operation: Economic Considerations 50%

Plant Design/Operation: Design & Operations 0%

Plant Design/Operation: Safety 67%

Plant Design/Operation: Environmental 50%

Plant Design/Operation: Materials 0%

Plant Design/Operation: Process Control 33%

I didn't pay to much attention to the diagnostic because I did not approach the test wisely. I wasted too much time on the hard ones. I bubbled in at least 10, without reading the questions, in both the AM and PM, because I ran out of time.

Here's my diagnostic for my Chemical April 2007 exam, when I failed with a 69.

Mass/Energy: Mass Balances 44%

Mass/Energy: Energy Balances & Thermo 50%

Fluids: Fluid Transport 33%

Fluids: Mech-Energy Balance 38%

Fluids: Flow Measurement 33%

Heat Transfer: Mechanisms 40%

Heat Transfer: Applications 50%

Mass Transfer: Phase Equilibria 50%

Mass Transfer: Contactors (Absorption-etc) 40%

Mass Transfer: Miscellaneous Separation Processes 0%

Kinetics: Reaction Parameters 100%

Kinetics: Reaction Rate 0%

Kinetics: Reactor Design & Evaluation 100%

Kinetics: Heterogeneous Reaction Systems 100%

Plant Design/Operation: Economic Considerations 100%

Plant Design/Operation: Design & Operations 25%

Plant Design/Operation: Safety 67%

Plant Design/Operation: Environmental 50%

Plant Design/Operation: Materials 50%

Plant Design/Operation: Process Control 100%

I used this to find my weak points, but ended up reviewing all topics with the same diligence for the third time around. The turning point for me was the advice I got that you can see in the Chemical Exam forum. The third time around I used the NCEES list of topics on the test and created notes. This helped me focus on the topics that I needed to study and not waste time studying topics that were not going to be on the test. By the way, I passed the third time around.

Kinda dropped off from the first exam to the second on your Kinetics: Reaction Rates eh?
I remember that. For the first exam, it was a quick look up using a small ChE pocket reference book. I'm sure I would have found it in Levenspiel (I didn't have Levenspiel the first time). It was straight forward.

For, the second exam, it was a weird one. I only had the ChERM 6th ed books (which is poor in Kinetics), MGI Institute notes (which weren't much help), the NCEES exam, and the same ChE pocket reference book. I think if I had Levenspiel, I maybe would have been able to answer that one... maybe... maybe not... it was a weird one.

The third time around, I took all the books that I could possibly get my hands on (well, all the books that were relevant to the NCEES ChE topics). That was a good example of success depending on the references.

Back