Failing Letters

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DVINNY Here are my results (I have a feeling I missed it by 1 question) for a diagnostic review. Any thoughts.
Bredth:

Env - 100%

Geo - 50%

Str - 63%

Trans - 50%

WR - 763%

Depth:

WW - 67%

bIOLOGY - 57%

Solid Wastes - 80%

GW - 80%

Geo - 100%

WR - 70%

I guess there is always next time.

To those that did fail.....there IS a next time!!! You just weren't prepared enough, trust me, Now with DV passing, I'm becoming the poster boy for re-taking the exam. I'll be taking it for the 4th time in October! IT's NOT a big deal to not pass, just take a few days off to let your system settle down, then FOCUS on the things that you didn't do well.

Darked....looks like some transportation help is what you need, feel free to email me with any questions you might have, and I'll be happy to help you get that behind you!!!!

How the heck did I FAIL???? I took the Civil with Env in my depth. Anybody with any insights?
A number of opinions have been expressed as to why your score isn't passing, but one opinion has not been offered.

Many people look for a so-called cut score when thinking about grades. I don't know if any of us really know if there is a true cut score in the sense of 50/80 = :pASSED2:

I took and failed the Civil/Env Depth section three times. Twice I failed with a 69 and a third time was just the big :Failed: without any score. My score calculated for the 2nd time I took the exam was 54/80, but I had two moderate scores in the morning and one low score in the afternoon.

This is SOLELY my opinion:

I believe that there isn't one 'true' cut score. I think the exam equating process also considers how well you did in each of the sub-topic areas relative to one another when providing a final score. So, in other words, there must be a MINIMUM ratio for scores between sub-topics. :2cents:

I don't know if that helps any to soften the blow, but what I will say is that a few low hanging fruit items for the Transportation section would score you a PASS easily :)

JR

DVINNY Here are my results (I have a feeling I missed it by 1 question) for a diagnostic review. Any thoughts.
Breadth:

Env - 100%

Geo - 50%

Str - 63%

Trans - 50%

WR - 63%

Depth:

WW - 67%

bIOLOGY - 57%

Solid Wastes - 80%

GW - 80%

Geo - 100%

WR - 70%

I guess there is always next time.
Breadth:

Env - 100% 8/8

Geo - 50% 4/8

Str - 63% 5/8

Trans - 50% 4/8

WR - 63% 5/8

Depth:

WW - 67%6/9

bIOLOGY - 57%4/7

Solid Wastes - 80% 4/5

GW - 80% 4/5

Geo - 100% 4/4

WR - 70% 7/10

Gives a 55

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I will be brave and submit my results. Let me know what you make of this. I took the Electrical Power PE exam in Minnesota. Please help me interpret this.

Well, I tried to post my score sheet that I scanned but this message board wont let me upload it. So, I will type it out here:

Basic ELE - Professionalism and Eng. Econ 100%

Basic ELE - Safety and Reliability 100%

Basic ELE - Electric Circuits 60%

Basic ELE - Electric and Magnetic Field Theory 100%

Basic ELE - Computer Systems and Engr 50%

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Components 33%

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Materials 100%

Controls and Communications Systems 67%

Power - Transmission and Distribution 60%

Power - Rotation Machines and Electromagnetic Devices 100%

General Power - Measure, Instrument and Statistics 50%

General Power - Special Applications 100%

General Power - Codes, Standards, and Special Appls 67%

Circuit Analysis - Analysis 33%

Circuit Analysis - Devices and Power Electronic Circuits 67%

Circuit Analysis - Electric and Magnetic Fields adn Applications 50%

Rotating Machines 71%

Electromagnetic Devices 25%

Transmission and Distrib - System Analysis 33%

Transmission and Distrib - Power System Performance 50%

Transmission and Distrib - Protection 25%

Thanks,

Nick

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Components 33%Circuit Analysis - Analysis 33% (1/3)

Electromagnetic Devices 25% (1/4)

Transmission and Distrib - System Analysis 33% (1/3)

Transmission and Distrib - Power System Performance 50% (1/2 or 2/4)

Transmission and Distrib - Protection 25% (1/4)
Nick, looks like you nailed a bunch of sections perfectly, that's good! I picked these out as it looks like these are statistically pretty close to guessing, and probably what cost you the test. Keep doing what you've been doing, and bone up some more on 3-phase circuit analysis and HV distribution and you've got it in October! There are a bunch of people in the electrical forum here who will be happy to help you study. Have hope!

Last edited:
DVINNY that is correct, afternoon water resources score was a 70 (I believe it is typically 25% of test so it would be a 7 out of 10).

^^ Pucci, I edited my posts above, looks like 56 was the cut score on the Civ-Env exam this time. Two 55's failed.

Thanks DVINNY. That is what I figured. Atleast I know I was close, but yet so very far away.

I look forward to January when I can let everyone know that I passed the October 2007 exam.

after seeing the two diagnostics listed above, I'm pretty embarrassed.

I honestly thought I did great on the exam, and to my horror I did VERY

poorly. but here's my diagnostics anyway...took the Controls depth module:

Basic ELE - Professionalism and Eng. Econ 50%

Basic ELE - Safety and Reliability 33%

Basic ELE - Electric Circuits 60%

Basic ELE - Electric and Magnetic Field Theory 100%

Basic ELE - Computer Systems and Engr 100%

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Components 50%

Electronic, Circuits and Components - Materials 100%

Controls and Communications Systems 50%

Power - Transmission and Distribution 20%

Power - Rotation Machines and Electromagnetic Devices 33%

General EE Knowledge - Measurement & Instrumentation 50%

General EE Knowledge - Interpret of Codes & Standards 100%

General EE Knowledge - Computer Systems 0%

Electronics - Electrical Circuit Theory 25%

Electronics - Electric & Magnetic Field Theory & Applications 33%

Electronics - Components & Circuits 29%

Control System Fundamentals 20%

Control System Design/Implementation 100%

Controls - Stability 25%

Communications & Signal Processing 50%

Communications - Noise & Interference 67%

Telecommunications 33%

Nick, looks like you nailed a bunch of sections perfectly, that's good! I picked these out as it looks like these are statistically pretty close to guessing, and probably what cost you the test. Keep doing what you've been doing, and bone up some more on 3-phase circuit analysis and HV distribution and you've got it in October! There are a bunch of people in the electrical forum here who will be happy to help you study. Have hope!
Thanks for the help. Now, can anyone recommend some good books that will prepare me for the 3 phase circuit analysis and HV transmission and distribution? Also, I need more references and study material for 3 phase power systems in General. I don't have much on Load flow analysis, or per unit analysis, or much else related. I used the "the other board" EERM to study and that was my primary reference in the test along with the NEC.

Thanks for the help. Also, is there another thread I could post this type of question in where I could get some help. I am new to these boards.

Thanks,

Nick

Thanks for the help. Now, can anyone recommend some good books that will prepare me for the 3 phase circuit analysis and HV transmission and distribution? Also, I need more references and study material for 3 phase power systems in General. I don't have much on Load flow analysis, or per unit analysis, or much else related. I used the "the other board" EERM to study and that was my primary reference in the test along with the NEC.
Thanks for the help. Also, is there another thread I could post this type of question in where I could get some help. I am new to these boards.

Thanks,

Nick
I used EERM as my primary reference, too- concensus is that it's great for the morning, but a bit thin for the afternoon. Check out the Electrical PE Prep forum here, I think it's exactly what you're looking for: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showforum=4

Last edited:
Tucker-

It is almost impossible to predict what they will ask in communication and transmission. For these the best you can do it study basic Fourier series, etc., and bring references on communications, transmissions and antennas and hope you can find the equations. I used my school textbooks and Schaums outlines.

Electronics and controls are different. You can ace these and improve your chances. There is only so much of the basics to learn. Work plenty of problems, learn the tricks for circuit analysis and learn how all the basic semiconductor devices work and you'll ace it next time.

Practice nodal analysis and the rules for op amps. try some filter problems to practice circuit analysis and transfer functions. You can get this stuff down.

Others may disagree but I think if you work problems you can have confidence in passing next time.

I took a review course (Cal State LA) and it helped me.

Good luck.

How the heck did I FAIL???? I took the Civil with Env in my depth. My diagnostics show the following:Bredth:

Env - 88%

Geo - 63%

Str - 63%

Trans - 0%

WR - 75%

Depth:

WW - 78%

bIOLOGY - 86%

Solid Wastes - 80%

GW - 60%

Geo - 100%

WR - 80%

Unless everyine else did the transpo questiosn real well i'm not sure what went wrong here??!! Anybody with any insights?
Aside from the TRANS in the morning, it seems like I performed in a similar fashion to you. One question, where did you lump the questions regarding comparison of one vegetable to another vegetable, and finding the benefit of that vegetable to other vegetable? Sorry for the cryptic sentence, if you remember the question, you might follow me better.

I distinctly recall a question, or two of that type in the PM of the Civil/Env. Unfortunately, it was not a subject that a truly studied for, since it was not one of the CORE subjects you have outlined above.

Brian

Thanks,

Nick
Nick, I think you're right on; from your diagnositc it looks like you need to work mainly on circuit analysis, both single phase/DC and three phase, including per-unit and symmetrical components. EERM is of very little help in these areas. I have already recommended this elsewhere on the board; it is my primary reference for transmission systems, and the book I was taught from in school: Power System Analysis and Design

Good work on the Rotating Machines area, btw. That's an important one for the Power depth.

Failed

Environmental 75

Geotechnical 25

Structural 88

Transportation 75

Water Resources 50

Traffic Analysis 56

Transportation Planning and Construction 38

Geometric Design/Traffic Safety 78

Geotechncal 83

Water Resources 50

what's my score?

you can do the morning easy

75 = 6 of 8

25 = 2 of 8

88 = 7 of 8

75 = 6 of 8

50 = 4 of 8

Morning total = 25

I'll let DVINNY do his magic to help with the afternoon....

You were close though, something I know all too well.

I'm just guessing from the score though that you know enough to pass the test, it looks to me like you MIGHT just be missing the FINE print under charts for the lookup type problems. I found that to be the case in the two subjects you did the worse on.

Failed
Environmental 75

Geotechnical 25

Structural 88

Transportation 75

Water Resources 50

Traffic Analysis 56

Transportation Planning and Construction 38

Geometric Design/Traffic Safety 78

Geotechncal 83

Water Resources 50

what's my score?

you can do the morning easy
75 = 6 of 8

25 = 2 of 8

88 = 7 of 8

75 = 6 of 8

50 = 4 of 8

Morning total = 25

I'll let DVINNY do his magic to help with the afternoon....

You were close though, something I know all too well.

I'm just guessing from the score though that you know enough to pass the test, it looks to me like you MIGHT just be missing the FINE print under charts for the lookup type problems. I found that to be the case in the two subjects you did the worse on.
i think what screwed me was the rounding and that "nearest possible answer" bull*hit or whatever it was. i think i should have "rounded up" on all the hydrology stuff in the AM and PM in particular as well as a few traffic problems so that things "met or exceeded" the design criteria.

i don't know WTF happened with the morning geotech part.

It's just disgusting to think I'm going to have to go through all this waiting and stuff again in the Fall which will drag out until January.

Don't let it get you down! I'll be with you, and it will be my 4th attempt! It's pretty dis-appointing to get that failing letter, but after a few days you just accept it, realize that the REAL reason you didn't pass is the fact that you just weren't prepared enough. You did well enough that you shouldn't have any problems in October.

Stay in here with this group, I've found it to be quite comforting to know that others have gone through the same thing you just did...it certainly doesn't measure you as an individual, or an engineer!

i think what screwed me was the rounding and that "nearest possible answer" bull*hit or whatever it was. i think i should have "rounded up" on all the hydrology stuff in the AM and PM in particular as well as a few traffic problems so that things "met or exceeded" the design criteria.
i don't know WTF happened with the morning geotech part.

It's just disgusting to think I'm going to have to go through all this waiting and stuff again in the Fall which will drag out until January.

Don't let it get you down! I'll be with you, and it will be my 4th attempt! It's pretty dis-appointing to get that failing letter, but after a few days you just accept it, realize that the REAL reason you didn't pass is the fact that you just weren't prepared enough. You did well enough that you shouldn't have any problems in October.
Stay in here with this group, I've found it to be quite comforting to know that others have gone through the same thing you just did...it certainly doesn't measure you as an individual, or an engineer!
no, it has nothing to do with NOT preparing enough. i attended a review course and studied every night for 3-4 hours. On the weekends i must have studied at least 20-22 hours. i'm a geotech and to get a 2 out of 8 is a kick in the balls in the AM right there. i know of a few problems where i debated on rounding up or down that were a hydrology problem. i asked the question on here and people said to round up. i also know a few that were simple look up problems in the transportation but the exact answer wasn't there and i rounded down.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=2951&hl=

oh well, this is just so disappointing that i'm going to have to throw away another $230. i think that is what upsets me more than anything.

Back