FAIL!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think to start, i am going to go back through the NCEES Sample exam. I had worked these problems in detail last time, taking the time to right each problem out, every formula, notes, etc so that i could reference it on the exam. I don't have the 6-min solutions, but I have heard it was good and am going to order it. I was thinking about also taking the School of PE course...its about the only program I have found that I can do online...wish my local college offered a course, but i think i am relocating in the next month, so it works out for the best. the biggest thing for me is making sure i stick to a schedule and get out of work after my 8 hours so i can study. enough is enough, work/ot/etc is going to have to take a little bit of a back burner for the next 3 months....this should be interesting.

by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR! at least we have one new years resolution that we WILL KEEP!!!

:multiplespotting:

I highly highly recommend School of PE, they give you a binder with theory and problems in it. I used it on 70% of test without cracking CERM. For example, when coming across a problem I wasnt sure about, I'd look in CERM and be baffled at the theory/understanding of it. CERM is too technical in some areas and is not good for on-the-fly learning during the test. By the time you figure out what CERM is trying to tell you, 10 minutes has flown by. The School of PE notes tell you what equations you need and what variables you need and where to get the values from. that is KEY!
My biggest piece of advice to anyone studying for the PE exam is to study like you are planning to take the exam. What I mean by that is if you are planning on bringing your suitcase full of references you should study with all of them while solving problems. If you're going to use the MERM and a fluids book then you should study with those. You should get intimately familiar with your references and know exactly where most things are and how it's written so that you don't have to go reading through it to understand what it's trying to tell you. I did this for the FE (used the provided reference manual for studying) and for the PE (MERM) and it worked wonderfully. I didn't take any classes and only read the MERM and worked Lindeburg's sample problems using the MERM as my reference.

I am going to start Monday and focusing next week on reworking the NCEES AM portion - this should kind of ease me back into it...
I think I am going to sign up for one of the online courses..... I did a refresher course at one a local college but I did not get alot out of it.

I am going to hit the six minutes solution problems the second, third and fourth week and really nail those down. I am strong in fluids but week is heat transfere so I really need to secure a solid grasp of the material in this area.

Jan, Feb and March are the best times for me personaly to be studying - so I am up for the challenge.

The PE is not required for work, but more of a personal goal that I set for myself in my first year of college. There is no doubt I will pass this test, I just need to prepare more.

Besides, to be honest, I have become a better engineer just studying.

Topics will come up in meetings and I have the theory fresh in my head - I found myself rattling off equaitions on the white board during meetings -

As you said - BRING IT ON!

What is your study plan?

Tim
I had the same problem as you when I started out studying and even going into the test. I felt pretty confident in fluids but not so much in thermodynamics. It is definately possible to pass as I'm living proof of that. My advice would be the same as above. Study like you're taking the exam. For me studying consisted of reading the MERM and doing Lindeburg's sample problems and a couple of his sample exams at the end. I think classes may have helped but I think the key point is that you need to know your references inside and out.

Wow guys, thanks for the incredible support. In an effort to vent I never expected to find such resolve. I thank you all.

I'm pretty sure I know where I went wrong, in doing way too much 'book' studying and not enough problems. Now that I 'know' the material and have my references organized, the plan is to buy every practice exam I can get my hands on, sign up for Exam Cafe on PPI and complete daily problems... just do whatever I can to be a better 'test taker' and problem solver.

It has been a tough week with that feeling of the test looming over the head once again. But I'm hitting the books again this week and I know that no matter what happens I will be a better Engineer because of it.

Wow guys, thanks for the incredible support. In an effort to vent I never expected to find such resolve. I thank you all.
I'm pretty sure I know where I went wrong, in doing way too much 'book' studying and not enough problems. Now that I 'know' the material and have my references organized, the plan is to buy every practice exam I can get my hands on, sign up for Exam Cafe on PPI and complete daily problems... just do whatever I can to be a better 'test taker' and problem solver.

It has been a tough week with that feeling of the test looming over the head once again. But I'm hitting the books again this week and I know that no matter what happens I will be a better Engineer because of it.
Good resolve cwlodyka! Very well said. We all tend to lose sight of the fact that whether you pass or fail, just by taking the exam make you a better engineer. One said "you learn more by failing than being successfull the first time". Iam sure you will make it next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed the Mechanical exam with Machine Depth using only the MERM and Shigleys Machine Design. It all depends on your discipline as to how many books to bring. All I can say whatever references you bring you better be well aquainted with them because I felt efficiency was the key too passing. You have to know exactly where to look quickly!
Agree 100%. I too took the Mechanical Exam with Machine Depth (and passed), but I also brought Mark's Standard Handbook for Mech Eng's (used it for 1 or two problems). Know your reference books! I'm not suggesting memorizing entire books, but know exactly which book/section you're going to go to for each type of problem. MERM isn't as good for bearing/gear/weld problems as Shigley. I got to the point where I remembered which pages numbers to turn to in the MERM/Shigley for specific types of problems. My goal was to make sure I spent under 1 minute looking for the proper info so that I could spend 5+ working the problem.

My recommendation is to not even study the book next time. You'll invariably learn the material by working problems. Work hundreds of problems...over and over and over again until you can do them flawlessly. Move continuously from book to book to avoid just memorizing the answers though. I bought all three disciplines of the Mechanical Six Minute Solutions. I worked the breadth parts in Thermal/Fluids and HVAC/Refrigeration, and then I worked the entire Mechanical Design book. I also worked through the NCEES sample exam. The closer you get to the exam, the more you should be focusing on the time it takes to work each problem.

Wow, I was not expecting that. I was so confident that I passed that test, I actually walked out thinking it was pretty EASY to what I was expecting. Obviously I have a lot of work to do. I feel so embarassed right now as I was in public with tons of friends when I heard results were released and I checked it on a friends phone. I never would've done that thinking I would get the result I did.
It's a tough pill to swallow, but I'll sulk for now and look to keep my head up and get after it again after the New Year. What a damper on vacation tho... all I want to do is go home and open up my Power Systems book again. To anyone else feeling my pain, keep your head up and stay strong. Take some time to breathe and get after it again for April.

To all others, congrats on your achievement!

-Charlie
CWLODYKA,

you are not along. On my first try, i was thinking that test was easy and I passed it with no doubt. I studied hard, every one new it, and when result came, I felt very embarrassed. I do not know the result of this try yet, but this second time I never said that it was easy, and never said, that I am confident about the result. Time will show. I guess, i have to wait few more days before know my verdict. :waitwall:

Where can I go to find more example examinations and sample problems and such. Anyone recommend any other texts or websites? This would be for the Electrical - Power examination. I have the PPI and NCEES sample examinations, and in all honesty they were pretty useless compared to the actual upon further review.

Wow, I was not expecting that. I was so confident that I passed that test, I actually walked out thinking it was pretty EASY to what I was expecting. Obviously I have a lot of work to do. I feel so embarassed right now as I was in public with tons of friends when I heard results were released and I checked it on a friends phone. I never would've done that thinking I would get the result I did.
It's a tough pill to swallow, but I'll sulk for now and look to keep my head up and get after it again after the New Year. What a damper on vacation tho... all I want to do is go home and open up my Power Systems book again. To anyone else feeling my pain, keep your head up and stay strong. Take some time to breathe and get after it again for April.

-Charlie
Spoken like a great Engineer!

I wish you the best for the April exam!

Where can I go to find more example examinations and sample problems and such. Anyone recommend any other texts or websites? This would be for the Electrical - Power examination. I have the PPI and NCEES sample examinations, and in all honesty they were pretty useless compared to the actual upon further review.

I'm signing up for this course http://www.pe.gatech.edu/courses/electrica...am-power-option

and I am buying the Chelapati material from the Irvine Institue. I agree that the PPI and NCEES were somewhat useless. Are you retaking the exam in April or October?

I'm signing up for this course http://www.pe.gatech.edu/courses/electrica...am-power-option

and I am buying the Chelapati material from the Irvine Institue. I agree that the PPI and NCEES were somewhat useless. Are you retaking the exam in April or October?

I'll have to check out the site later.... thanks. I am retaking in April, reexam application is already in.

-Charlie
Charlie...I did not pass either, and tis not the first time.

I will say that the new diagnostic they provide is actually really good. I didn’t realize how far off the mark I was till they showed where I was compared to the average passing candidate. Here I was thinking, oh, concentrate on the PM…but really, my AM is the problem.

There are plenty of us sulking right along side you. I have finished feeling sorry for myself (thank God I had the week off...and no one has asked me yet if I passed...I may strangle them if they do)...and am ready to start studying for April. My family and friends have supported me throughout this endeavor, and I am a better engineer for it.

Good Luck, God Bless, and Happy New Year to all...Congrats to all the passing candidates!

I failed Chemical in Ga with a 41/80. I didn't study due to moving, new job, surgery and a few other things that popped up. I wanted to reschedule but missed the deadline by about a week. Amazing how quick four months can go by. I've got a better idea what to study for now and have new books on the way. Good luck to everyone for April and congrats to those who passed.

For me, failing this time was much more devastating. I took the struc. 1 for the first time in April. I halfway studied and bought most of the references. I failed with a 63. This time, I studied like crazy and bought all of the references. I failed with a 65. I got 46 correct. I felt very confident after the test and was sure that I did well. Thats why I was so crushed when I received my results.

I failed. very disappointed on myself. I think I work hard, looks like not enough.

Failed Elec:power for second time. minimal improvement. Gonna try again though. I'm a glutton for punishment.

If it helps out the community because this board has certainly helped me in the past weeks...
ME, thermal & fluid systems - I correctly answered 47 and failed.
I think you need at least 48/80 to passed for the mechanical PE. You almost got it ..try hard you will make it.

First time: 14;18

Second time: 31;13 (I did sxxx job in the pm..i feel that I only got 15 when I left)

Thrid time: ???? (but my feeling for the afternoon is 100% better than the first and the second time...the morning should similar to the second time)
This was my second time taking the ME PE as well, how did you calc the number of correct answers on your last test in April? I have percentages but no number of correct answers. Still waiting on my diagnostic from the Oct test, all I know is that I failed.

This was my second time taking the ME PE as well, how did you calc the number of correct answers on your last test in April? I have percentages but no number of correct answers. Still waiting on my diagnostic from the Oct test, all I know is that I failed.
If you go to the NCEES website you can find the number of questions per section in the exam specifications section. Then multiply the percent in each section by the number of questions and add it up. You will find it works out peretty easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it helps out the community because this board has certainly helped me in the past weeks...
ME, thermal & fluid systems - I correctly answered 47 and failed.
I think you need at least 48/80 to passed for the mechanical PE. You almost got it ..try hard you will make it.

First time: 14;18

Second time: 31;13 (I did sxxx job in the pm..i feel that I only got 15 when I left)

Thrid time: ???? (but my feeling for the afternoon is 100% better than the first and the second time...the morning should similar to the second time)
They will tell you what is your % in each area. Each area has different % on the actual exam and from there you can calculat your overall %.

For example:

There are 5 area in the AM exam. If you got 66% for the "Basic Engineering Practice = 30% (you can get from http://www.ncees.org/Exams/PE_exam.php ". Your score for this area will be 0.66 x 40 x 0.3 = 7.92 (runup to 8)...do the same thing for all AM and PM. You will get the total % score.

What worries me the most is how many people were surprised that they failed. Makes me think that there were a lot of trick questions on the exam.

I felt pretty confident coming out of the exam but I too thought that there were some tricky questions. Didn't think it was that big of a deal though. Maybe it was.

Still waiting out here in California though. Waiting to see what happens.

Latest posts

Back