FAIL!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see my name on the NC Board website so I'm assuming I failed as well. My co-worker passed and I'm happy for him. He deserved it. I'll be hitting the books for April........only 3 month away.

I thought the PE was usually at the end of April. Is there a reason they moved it up approximately 3 weeks to April 8th? Was it always so early?

I hate to derail this thread a bit with my request, but for the ones that failed, would you mind posting the discipline specialty you took, as well as the questions you've got right out of the total? That way, the ones that are still waiting on the results can start planning ahead for the worst. Thanks!

I don't think that would be wise, giving out all of that info. We did sign an agreement on not releasing info on the exam. I certainly would not want to jeapordize my future chances to take the exam.

Wow, I was not expecting that. I was so confident that I passed that test, I actually walked out thinking it was pretty EASY to what I was expecting. Obviously I have a lot of work to do. I feel so embarassed right now as I was in public with tons of friends when I heard results were released and I checked it on a friends phone. I never would've done that thinking I would get the result I did.
It's a tough pill to swallow, but I'll sulk for now and look to keep my head up and get after it again after the New Year. What a damper on vacation tho... all I want to do is go home and open up my Power Systems book again. To anyone else feeling my pain, keep your head up and stay strong. Take some time to breathe and get after it again for April.

To all others, congrats on your achievement!

-Charlie
I hate to sound so cliche, but you are right, don't give up! I almost did and 3x later, I passed! Its a tough test. The questions make you doubt yourself and they know the mistakes people can make with just 6 minutes per question (like stupid conversions!). I studied so hard the first time around, I was determined not to fail, I took a class, I studied with a group, I was devastated when I didn't pass, I thought I passed. The second time I knew coming out of it, I failed, I studied and studied, but for some reason, I just didn't feel good. The third time around, I all about gave up and BARELY studied (honestly). I did some review problems here and there. I think I was putting too much pressure on myself and when I finally "let go"... I passed. Know you are smart, you would not have gotten this far if you weren't. My husband had to keep telling me that over and over again to keep me going. Good luck! I have felt your pain.

I don't think that would be wise, giving out all of that info. We did sign an agreement on not releasing info on the exam. I certainly would not want to jeapordize my future chances to take the exam.
Really? The "content" of the exam also covers the number of questions each failing candidate got right as well? Here's the section that talks about this matter from the NCEES agreement.

Intellectual Property Rights and Exam SecurityAll NCEES exams are copyrighted works. Examinees are strictly prohibited from copying or disclosing any exam questions, problems, or answers, orally or in writing. This prohibition includes not discussing or disclosing any exam questions or problems on Internet blogs or chat rooms or through any other means.
As far as I understand it, it only talks about disclosing the exam material. Which includes exam questions and solutions to them, not the amount of questions each candidate got right reported on their diagnostic report. But do correct me if I'm wrong in terms of interpreting the agreement, as I do want to be on the safe side as well.

talking about the diagnostic report is not prohibited, otherwise the many years of trying to hypothesis a cut score after people posted their %ages would not exist.

The Texas people get and give out their scores and they don't seem to get in trouble.
That's all up to the state board.

But remember these are not raw scores. They are scaled scores. They tell you nothing really about the actual raw cut score. Many states used to give them out until a couple years ago.

But people have been posting diagnostic reports on here for years. NCEES monitors the site and so far nobody got in trouble for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
talking about the diagnostic report is not prohibited, otherwise the many years of trying to hypothesis a cut score after people posted their %ages would not exist.
Thanks for clarifying this issue for us!

My request to the people that failed the exam still stands. If you can please post the specialty of the exam you took as well as the total number of questions you've got right. That way, everybody else that is still waiting on the results can prepare for the worst.

I read all of that as well, I was trying to avoid a slippery slope where someone new on here would be giving out too much info on the exam. The moderators do an excellent job with this site, but if you get two or three newbies on here starting to add too much, someone might get into a pickle. That is all.

I read all of that as well, I was trying to avoid a slippery slope where someone new on here would be giving out too much info on the exam. The moderators do an excellent job with this site, but if you get two or three newbies on here starting to add too much, someone might get into a pickle. That is all.
It never hurts to remind people. Especially right around this time.

I failed ... and didnt feel very confident coming out of the exam, so I am not too surprised. Didn't think I'd do as badly as I did though. Don't have tme to line things up properly .... but the #s at the bottom correspond to the sections listed.

Knowledge Area

1 Construction

2 Geotechnical

3 Structural

4 Transportation

5 Water Resources & Environmental

6 Hydraulics -- Closed Conduit

7 Hydraulics -- Open Channel

8 Hydrology

9 Groundwater and Well Fields

10 Wastewater Treatment

11 Water Quality

12 Water Treatment

13 Engineering Economics

Number of Items

8 8 8 8 8 6 6 6 3 6 6 6 1

Your Performance (No. Correct)

Your Performance (% Correct)

62 50 50 62 62 66 33 50 33 33 33 16 100

TallyPE, can you please post the total number of questions you've got right (out of 80)? Also, what discipline was this exam? Was it Principle and Practices for Civil Engineers?

Anyways, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't pass. :(

I failed ... and didnt feel very confident coming out of the exam, so I am not too surprised. Didn't think I'd do as badly as I did though. Don't have tme to line things up properly .... but the #s at the bottom correspond to the sections listed.
Knowledge Area

1 Construction

2 Geotechnical

3 Structural

4 Transportation

8 Hydrology

10 Wastewater Treatment

11 Water Quality

12 Water Treatment

13 Engineering Economics

Number of Items

I think you got 39/80. I think you should get the new % dia that you can check out the avg people score.

My first time in Mechanical is only 32. Second time the AM score 31...that is almost equal what I score the first time...but f... test still let me down.

Hope you did better next time...and improve every sections to 70% above. Set your final score as 60/80. YOS WILL PASS IT.

Knowledge Area

1 Construction

2 Geotechnical

3 Structural

4 Transportation

8 Hydrology

10 Wastewater Treatment

11 Water Quality

12 Water Treatment

13 Engineering Economics

Number of Items

I think you got 39/80. I think you should get the new % dia that you can check out the avg people score.

You got it ... 39/80 ... civil - water resources and environmental ... PE, Florida.

Am I the only one who got scores and am wiliing to share?

You got it ... 39/80 ... civil - water resources and environmental ... PE, Florida.
You're not the only one. There are others here that have failed but posted their scores sporadically over the forum.

I know there is one Electrical Power candidate that reported a score of 48/80. So we know that 60% for Power Engineering is not passing.

Perhaps, I should start a thread for people to post their scores out of 80 or 100 to keep it more organized. And of course, if I do receive a diagnostic report, I will be sharing mine as well.

Knowledge Area

1 Construction

2 Geotechnical

3 Structural

4 Transportation

8 Hydrology

10 Wastewater Treatment

11 Water Quality

12 Water Treatment

13 Engineering Economics

Number of Items

You are not the only one fail but I think you are the first person to post your %.

Don't worry ...read my post again you will know.

Knowledge Area

1 Construction

2 Geotechnical

3 Structural

4 Transportation

8 Hydrology

10 Wastewater Treatment

11 Water Quality

12 Water Treatment

13 Engineering Economics

Number of Items

You are not the only one fail but I think you are the first person to post your %.

Don't worry ...read my post again you will know.

I failed badly as well. I am still shocked, but life must go on. I am shifting from GEO to CONSTRUCTION. I would appreciate study material suggestions! I'm from CO by the way.

If it helps out the community because this board has certainly helped me in the past weeks...

ME, thermal & fluid systems - I correctly answered 47 and failed.

Back