Exam Day Rules for PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At my testing center, folks that had cell phones were required to turn them off and check them in.  They kept them on a table off to the side.  I don't recommend bringing one to the testing center as proctor's tolerance for it may vary.  Also, they did check calculators to ensure they were in compliance, but there was no checking of reference material. 
Same at my testing center.

I read through the testing day document many times to be clear I would not get kicked out. The only light jacket I have has a hood. The document states that no hoods are allowed. Now, I most likely will not need a jacket, but I want to have it just in case. Any thoughts?
Dude, if your biggest problem is not having a jacket without a hood, you're doing pretty well!  I am always hot so I am always in a T-Shirt year-round so I can't really say but if you think you'll be cold, bring an extra shirt (layers)?  Long sleeve shirt?  Borrow a jacket?  Buy a non-hooded flannel or light jacket? 

The search is on for a long sleeve shirt in my house. I'm always in short sleeves, even in the office.

I'm trying to work through the NCEES practice exam one last time but I am burnt out. Maybe I should start my rest today instead of Thursday.

How confident are you @Phenomenon083? I feel real good when I study in the morning. These past few lunch time and after work study breaks have been horrid due to tiredness.

To interject a few thoughts:

Don't bring any references you are not familiar with. Bringing the Public Library with you is no good if you spend an hour looking for one question. Remember, 6 minutes per problem so you have to limit yourself. Some of the more obscure references *might* help you with one question. Remember, it's about passing the exam, not acing it.

I used a milk crate and carried it in. Some people will use a cart if they have more than one crate.  I've even heard of people using rolling luggage.

You cannot count on the proctors knowing the difference between your pencil notes and what's on the exam. Most of the proctors at my exam were well past retirement age and none had engineering experience. It was like being babysat by grandpa, you can get away with anything if you are more than 20 feet away because they can't see what you're doing. That being said, they do meander through the aisles and quietly observe. They won't talk to you unless you give them a reason to.

No cell phones allowed in the room. Just leave it in the car.

Having a 2nd calculator is perfectly acceptable. Many just buy a duplicate of what they normally use and leave it in the original packaging. Once they get their results, they return it.

Yes, you can bring snacks with you. However, be sure they are "quiet" snacks. They won't like it when you open a bag of Doritos in the middle of the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
The search is on for a long sleeve shirt in my house. I'm always in short sleeves, even in the office.

I'm trying to work through the NCEES practice exam one last time but I am burnt out. Maybe I should start my rest today instead of Thursday.

Exactly same condition here :(
73-3149-crew-sweatshirt-clearance__95631.1448053222.1280.1280.jpg

This item has wolves on it which makes it intrinsically sweet and worth 5 stars by itself, but once I tried it on, that's when the magic happened. After checking to ensure that the shirt would properly cover my girth, I walked from my trailer to Wal-mart with the shirt on and was immediately approached by women. The women knew from the wolves on my shirt that I, like a wolf, am a mysterious loner who knows how to 'howl at the moon' from time to time (if you catch my drift!). The women that approached me wanted to know if I would be their boyfriend and/or give them money for something they called mehth. I told them no, because they didn't have enough teeth, and frankly a man with a wolf-shirt shouldn't settle for the first thing that comes to him.

I arrived at Wal-mart, mounted my courtesy-scooter (walking is such a drag!) sitting side saddle so that my wolves would show. While I was browsing tube socks, I could hear aroused asthmatic breathing behind me. I turned around to see a slightly sweaty dream in sweatpants and flip-flops standing there. She told me she liked the wolves on my shirt, I told her I wanted to howl at her moon. She offered me a swig from her mountain dew, and I drove my scooter, with her shuffling along side out the door and into the rest of our lives. Thank you wolf shirt.

Pros: Fits my girthy frame, has wolves on it, attracts women
Cons: Only 3 wolves (could probably use a few more on the 'guns'), cannot see wolves when sitting with arms crossed, wolves would have been better if they glowed in the dark

9 hours ago, nightwing said: What did you take your reference material in? So do they walk around checking reference material and calculators during the test for the morning and afternoon? Also, if my cell phone is off can I bring it in? Do they walk around and check cell phones? If I bring my reference material in a cart, can I bring snacks, rulers, and calculators in a bag or plastic bag along with my cart?
Yeah you can bring your cell phone, but only in airplane mode (wi-fi okay). They aren't too concerned about the type of cell phone, they treat them all basically the same.
If you're at Pomona, leave your cell phone in the car. If you forget , you'll have to leave it on a table up front with all the other chumps. You can't have it with you during the test.

To interject a few thoughts:

Don't bring any references you are not familiar with. Bringing the Public Library with you is no good if you spend an hour looking for one question. Remember, 6 minutes per problem so you have to limit yourself. Some of the more obscure references *might* help you with one question. Remember, it's about passing the exam, not acing it.

I used a milk crate and carried it in. Some people will use a cart if they have more than one crate.  I've even heard of people using rolling luggage.

You cannot count on the proctors knowing the difference between your pencil notes and what's on the exam. Most of the proctors at my exam were well past retirement age and none had engineering experience. It was like being babysat by grandpa, you can get away with anything if you are more than 20 feet away because they can't see what you're doing. That being said, they do meander through the aisles and quietly observe. They won't talk to you unless you give them a reason to.

No cell phones allowed in the room. Just leave it in the car.

Having a 2nd calculator is perfectly acceptable. Many just buy a duplicate of what they normally use and leave it in the original packaging. Once they get their results, they return it.

Yes, you can bring snacks with you. However, be sure they are "quiet" snacks. They won't like it when you open a bag of Doritos in the middle of the exam.
My old lady proctor asked me in the middle of the exam what "PE" stands for!  It totally broke my concentration.  I was 33% amused,  33% shocked, and 33% annoyed. 

And, to make matters worse, I had to think about the answer!  I didn't know wether to answer 'Professional Engineer' (what you become after you pass the exam), or "Priciples and Practices of Enginnering" (the official name of the exam).  Arrggghh.  :S 

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides my cart or crate of materials is it okay to bring a backpack or bag with my calculator, ruler, admission ticket, and lunch? What did everyone bring there lunch and water bottles in? Are backpacks allowed or do I need a clear plastic bag?

I think I brought some water in.  I left my lunch in a cooler in my car.

I remember the proctors not allowing me to put my watch on the table.

Besides my cart or crate of materials is it okay to bring a backpack or bag with my calculator, ruler, admission ticket, and lunch? What did everyone bring there lunch and water bottles in? Are backpacks allowed or do I need a clear plastic bag?

Put your reference material in a milk crate or Bankers Box and use a little luggage dolly. 

I never saw any proctors checking reference material.  And if they checked calculators, they did it discretely because I didn't notice.  Regardless, bring only approved calculators and you'll be fine.

I can't believe you are asking about a cell phone.  Leave it in the car dude.  Do not bring it in the exam room.

I brought a backpack which had my snacks, chapstick, aspirin, hard candy, extra batteries, water, etc., etc.  It does not need to be a clear bag like the FE. 

Have you not read the NCEES rules? 

Everyone: read the requirements on your approval letter.  Each state is different.  NYS does not allow any food or drinks, not even water.  I used a suitcase for my reference materials, and I had to bring my personal items in a clear plastic bag.

Back