Exam Day Rules for PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They had to bring in stage lighting for us, lights were so low it took a few seconds for my calculator to turn on.
The lights went out with 30 min left at my exam in the afternoon session. Certain people were powering through with the limited light coming in from the windows.

Of course they added time on. But an extra 20 minutes of dim lighting... Who wouldn't take it?

I am taking the exam in Pomona. 

Just checking if besides the admission ticket, calculator, and crate of books do I need to bring anything else to the exam?

Do we leave our stuff during the break? 

Just checking if besides the admission ticket, calculator, and crate of books do I need to bring anything else to the exam?

Don't forget your photo ID. Refer to the NCEES instructions as well. I also took snacks, water, tums, psuedfed, ibproufen, ear plugs, gum. Of course I didn't use most of the medication, but I did get heartburn after eating burritos for lunch, so the Tums came in handy. I had a lunch in the car, waiting for me, but ran into a couple old friends that were also taking the exam so we went and grabbed lunch.

Make sure you're back on time after lunch though. The girl who was sitting behind me didn't come back. About halfway through the instructions I could see her just outside the glass door clearly arguing with the proctor assigned to guard the door. Would hate to be in her shoes.

You can leave your reference material and calculator. They will check your calculator and stuff again in the afternoon. 

Leave it all.  I put my calculator in my rolling luggage. 

Don't forget your photo ID. Refer to the NCEES instructions as well. I also took snacks, water, tums, psuedfed, ibproufen, ear plugs, gum. Of course I didn't use most of the medication, but I did get heartburn after eating burritos for lunch, so the Tums came in handy. I had a lunch in the car, waiting for me, but ran into a couple old friends that were also taking the exam so we went and grabbed lunch.

Make sure you're back on time after lunch though. The girl who was sitting behind me didn't come back. About halfway through the instructions I could see her just outside the glass door clearly arguing with the proctor assigned to guard the door. Would hate to be in her shoes.

You can leave your reference material and calculator. They will check your calculator and stuff again in the afternoon. 
What did you take your reference material in? So do they walk around checking reference material and calculators during the test for the morning and afternoon? Also, if my cell phone is off can I bring it in? Do they walk around and check cell phones?

If I bring my reference material in a cart, can I bring snacks, rulers, and calculators in a bag or plastic bag along with my cart?

What did you take your reference material in? So do they walk around checking reference material and calculators during the test for the morning and afternoon? Also, if my cell phone is off can I bring it in? Do they walk around and check cell phones?

If I bring my reference material in a cart, can I bring snacks, rulers, and calculators in a bag or plastic bag along with my cart?
Put your reference material in a milk crate or Bankers Box and use a little luggage dolly. 

I never saw any proctors checking reference material.  And if they checked calculators, they did it discretely because I didn't notice.  Regardless, bring only approved calculators and you'll be fine.

I can't believe you are asking about a cell phone.  Leave it in the car dude.  Do not bring it in the exam room.

I brought a backpack which had my snacks, chapstick, aspirin, hard candy, extra batteries, water, etc., etc.  It does not need to be a clear bag like the FE. 

Have you not read the NCEES rules? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Proctors walk around and check calculators, but that is about it. Other than telling you to put stuff on the floor.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Most had rolling suitcases.   It reminded me of going to the airport.   No cell phones were allowed.  

5 hours ago, nightwing said:

Most had rolling suitcases.   It reminded me of going to the airport.   No cell phones were allowed.  
Or going to a nerdport.

If you are too embarrassed to buy adult diapers and have kids, you can duct tape several baby diapers together.  

Yeah you can bring your cell phone, but only in airplane mode (wi-fi okay). They aren't too concerned about the type of cell phone, they treat them all basically the same.

If you are too embarrassed to buy adult diapers and have kids, you can duct tape several baby diapers together.  
lol.  I was changing my son's diaper about 6 months ago and I pulled too hard on one of the tabs of the new diaper and broke it off.  There was no way I was going to throw out a perfectly good 45 cents.  So, out came the duct tape to the rescue. 

9 hours ago, nightwing said: What did you take your reference material in? So do they walk around checking reference material and calculators during the test for the morning and afternoon? Also, if my cell phone is off can I bring it in? Do they walk around and check cell phones? If I bring my reference material in a cart, can I bring snacks, rulers, and calculators in a bag or plastic bag along with my cart?
Yeah you can bring your cell phone, but only in airplane mode (wi-fi okay). They aren't too concerned about the type of cell phone, they treat them all basically the same.
Do you still get 2 phone-a-friends?

At my testing center, folks that had cell phones were required to turn them off and check them in.  They kept them on a table off to the side.  I don't recommend bringing one to the testing center as proctor's tolerance for it may vary.  Also, they did check calculators to ensure they were in compliance, but there was no checking of reference material.  Remember, the proctors are human.  You can talk to them and ask them questions about what you have brought.  The ones at my testing center were very helpful, IMO.

I read through the testing day document many times to be clear I would not get kicked out. The only light jacket I have has a hood. The document states that no hoods are allowed. Now, I most likely will not need a jacket, but I want to have it just in case. Any thoughts?

Back