Everything Happens for a Reason?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had them prior to moving to Auckland. Now they're a weekly routine. A small restaurant just up the road sells 20 for $10 and are damn good.
Thankfully I found a deliver place that has good ones.  Most of these f*ckers don't know the difference between fried dumplings and potstickers, which is total bullshit.  

It's hard to find dumpling wrappers that have the right thickness/chew to them.  Most seem to err more towards a wonton wrapper.  I also have been completely unable to replicate the proper taste for dumpling dipping sauce.  I'm about to hand the restaurant down the street a $20 to give me the damn recipe.

Hmm...so what's the difference? :dunno:

:bag:
Go back to your supper club!

J/K.  By definition, a dumpling that is prepared by frying and sticking to a wok, then finished by steaming should be a potsticker.  All potstickers are dumplings, but not all dumplings are potstickers.  

The REAL problem in the south, is that a lot of Chinese-American restaurants serve Japanese gyoza instead of Chinese dumplings, but call them dumplings or potstickers.  Gyoza are a much thinner wrapper (like a wonton wrapper) and a much finer mince on the meat.  These are the things you usually see sold in frozen bags in the grocery store.  Chinese dumplings are a thicker wrapper and coarser mince in the meat.  

Fact of the matter is, fried dumplings and potstickers should be synonymous, and gyoza should be gyoza.  When I order fried dumplings or potstickers at a Chinese restaurant, I sure as shit shouldn't get gyoza.  

No idea, never had Korean dumplings.  From what I gather, the Chinese stuff is some combination of vinegar, soy, fresh ginger, sugar, and ...?  There's either some secret ingredient, certain kinds of the listed ingredients, or some magic ratio that either makes is garbage or perfect.  There is no in-between.  

you must because Asian food is god awful without some type of sauce to mask just how shitty it al tastes (no wonder they are all so skinny)

And on that note, I'm heading over to the mall for some food court Chinese "food."

Back