Everything Happens for a Reason?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This article came across my FB feed yesterday and I think it addresses my thoughts on the "inflammatory" meme I shared yesterday.

Basically, if you're mad that I shared something that said "fuck" instead of listening to the message it was portraying, then you're focus is misguided.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unfundamentalistchristians/2017/06/christian-upset-wrong-things

I have three things I’d like to say today. First, while you were sleeping last night, 30,000 kids died of starvation or diseases related to malnutrition. Second, most of you don’t give a shit. What’s worse is that you’re more upset with the fact I just said “shit” than you are that 30,000 kids died last night.

I don't like the idea of karma. If all my evil thoughts and all the crap I've pulled over the years comes back to me one day, I'm f*cked. Divine grace is a much more comforting binkie.
The part that bothers me is that so many use "devine grace" as a mental get-out-of-jail-free card.

You did something bad? Tell Jesus you're sorry and it's no big deal. That's bullshit. Walking away from personal accountability like that really grinds my gears.

This article came across my FB feed yesterday and I think it addresses my thoughts on the "inflammatory" meme I shared yesterday.

Basically, if you're mad that I shared something that said "fuck" instead of listening to the message it was portraying, then you're focus is misguided.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unfundamentalistchristians/2017/06/christian-upset-wrong-things
I couldn't care less about the fact that you shared something that said fuck or shit or whatever cuss word you want to say in it. What I can't stand is the perceived intellectual superiority that you have over us heathens who believe in a higher power. I don't care that you don't believe in God, but don't act like you're this enlightened individual who sees things those simple-minded Christians can't see. The truth of the matter is that you're nothing more than an insecure, immature asshole.  

SCIENCE!

Reminds me of a joke our pastor told:

SCIENCE! went to God and said, "God, we no longer need you.  Using the power of SCIENCE! we have achieved everything you have; we know the stars, we can see the beginning of the Universe, we have mastered the power of the atom, with our 3D printers we can arrange molecules into any shape or substance we desire, we can literally take a pile of dirt and recombine the elements in a way that creates life!"

[SIZE= 18px]God said, "Wow, that sounds pretty impressive.  Can you show me?"[/SIZE]

Science said, "Sure. We start with this little pile of dirt here and..."

[SIZE= 18px]"Whoa, whoa, whoa!", says God.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]"... get your own dirt..."[/SIZE]

Ble- I Agree

Many of us here have been around here for a long time and I don't see the need for such a rude response. Go get your rocks off someplace else with that shit....

& my original question was not in a religious sense, just something I had been pondering. I do totally believe in Karma, it will catch up to you sooner or later (See OJ)

& my original question was not in a religious sense, just something I had been pondering.
I do hope your job situation turns out better than you could have ever hoped, despite the disappointment you experienced a few months ago. Like goodal mentioned, it's difficult to talk about this topic and not have it lead to some sort of religious debate. Can't really talk about effect without debating cause.

I agree with Ble. Quoting Tina Fey re: Christopher Hitchens: "It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist."

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this will lighten the mood a little?  :)  

An Atheist in the woods admiring the beauty of it thought to himself, "Evolution made that tree and evolution made those birds, and made the flowers in the field, and the grass. All of a sudden a Grizzly bear charges from the bushes after him. He runs away trying to escape but trips on a root. As the bear prepares to pounce on him he screams, "OH MY GOD!" The bear freezes in mid pounce, the trees stop waving in the wind. A bright light shines on him and a loud booming voice says, "You spend your entire life not believing in me, tell others not to believe in me, and attribute MY creation to natural selection!" "So why should I save you and if I do, am I to believe that you would now be a Christian?" The atheist states that it would be hypocritical of him to assume that, but could God make the bear a Christian. God says, "ok" and time restarts.. The bear gets down on his knees, folds his paws together and says, "Oh! Lord thank you for this meal I am about to receive." 

I've had to think about this one for awhile and I'm going to go ahead and admit I believe it. I think things like, "Thank goodness I left a little late to miss that weather that caused that accident!" or "Maybe next time I'll get the job." 

Yeah, it's fantasy, but it makes me feel better. Don't let Dex know or he'll crush that dream, too. 

I've had to think about this one for awhile and I'm going to go ahead and admit I believe it. I think things like, "Thank goodness I left a little late to miss that weather that caused that accident!" or "Maybe next time I'll get the job." 

Yeah, it's fantasy, but it makes me feel better. Don't let Dex know or he'll crush that dream, too. 
I agree with you. I have those same thoughts. I'm glad I was lucky enough to miss that unfortunate event, or was in the right place at the right time for something good. I just don't thank god for it.

I couldn't care less about the fact that you shared something that said fuck or shit or whatever cuss word you want to say in it. What I can't stand is the perceived intellectual superiority that you have over us heathens who believe in a higher power. I don't care that you don't believe in God, but don't act like you're this enlightened individual who sees things those simple-minded Christians can't see. The truth of the matter is that you're nothing more than an insecure, immature asshole.  
How do you feel when you figure out a magician's trick? Perhaps there was a little intellectual superiority as you watched your friends continue to be baffled and amazed by it. Do you tell them that there's a trap door, or do you let them believe the magic? Perhaps I'm making it worse and further proving your point by equating it to a magician's trick.

Does that make me feel enlightened? A little. And even a little superior. Do I need to get called out for it? Probably, and I thank you for doing it. I'm glad we know each other well enough that we can do it openly. My humility comes from these discussions with others. I do need my friends to call me an asshole when I'm being an asshole. But I also hope my friends can see that when I criticize their beliefs, I'm not trying to put myself up on a pedestal, but rather trying to understand why they believe what they do.

Am I insecure? Of course I am. Show me someone who isn't and I'll show you a liar.

Immature? No shit. We've known each other long enough for me to definitely prove that multiple times.

Asshole? Again, you know me. I've done worse and been called worse.

I firmly believe everything happens for a reason. Unfortunately I may not agree with the reason in the short term, long term or cosmic relativity (my personal good or someone else's good farther down the line.) RG staying with a great job may prevent someone else having that same opportunity. Or him staying may increase the company's growth and allow a few new hires that can benefit from a decent job. You can't predict the future possibilities when the randomness of life interferes. The comfort knowing that if I do the best I can for a particular moment in time will nominally increase the good in the world at some point in the future has become my safe, warm blanket. It allows me to sleep at night and wake up with hope.

I happen to be a christian due to extensive research, conversations, pondering and hundreds of iterations of testing (trial and error of different inputs just to watch the outcomes). Testing my theory was very important to me. If people don't agree with me it just means that life has given them a different perspective. If I had the same experiences (or lack of experiences) they had I would probably believe otherwise.

I hope I always believe in a higher power of some sort. Anything else seems a little depressing and not worth the effort. It may be the easy road, but one that has been fairly rewarding so far.

I do hope your job situation turns out better than you could have ever hoped, despite the disappointment you experienced a few months ago. Like goodal mentioned, it's difficult to talk about this topic and not have it lead to some sort of religious debate. Can't really talk about effect without debating cause.

I agree with Ble. Quoting Tina Fey re: Christopher Hitchens: "It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist."
I was thinking about this quote and I like it in one sense but I think it misses the mark in a greater sense.  

What I like is it relegates religious selection to that of food preference.  Which is true, one's choice in religion is, in all honesty, nothing more than personal preference, much like one's favorite food, favorite movie, favorite music genre, favorite sports team, etc.  - not based on evidence or facts -  but on personal preference.  Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Buddhism, Catholic, 7th Day Adventist, Mormon, Jehovah's Witness, Lutheran, Methodist, Protestant, Pentecostal,.... on and on..... pick your favorite.        

But where it misses the point is this.  I can't remember the last time someone who likes Chinese food has done any of the following "in the name of Chinese food":  Told me I am going to hell if I don't like their food, placed Chinese food flyers on my windshield... wait, scratch that one ;) ,... knocked on my door to preach to me the virtues and "truth" of Chinese food, tried to force 'Intelligent Design' into my kid's classroom, flown a plane into a building or set off a suicide bomb in the name of Chinese food, killed an abortion doctor, performed witch hunts, inquisitions, human (and animal) sacrifice, child molestation and cover-up,  crusades, ethnic cleansing, journalist beheadings, slavery, misogyny, intolerance toward gays, genital mutilation, the death of innocent children due to parents' reliance on faith healing,... shall I continue?

I'm totally cool with an individual's right to have a personal belief in anything they want..... just please don't force it upon me and others.  Some atheists take it too far but I think the majority of us are just saying please don't let your personal beliefs intrude on my freedoms.  I hope that makes sense.  Not trying to be a d!ck or anything. :)         

Assholes are going to be assholes. Faith is just another justification for being a jerk but that doesn't make it inherently bad.

I can't remember the last time someone who likes Chinese food has done any of the following "in the name of Chinese food"
If you withhold fried dumplings from me for more than a month, I wouldn't rule out doing roughly half of those.

If you withhold fried dumplings from me for more than a month, I wouldn't rule out doing roughly half of those.
Never had them prior to moving to Auckland. Now they're a weekly routine. A small restaurant just up the road sells 20 for $10 and are damn good.

Back