Everything Happens for a Reason?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah no thanks.. I'm done with all the  school bullshit, little league, cub scouts, boy scouts, HS sports, HS Band, etc...

Hey I just had a baby at 41 (she's 8 months now, I am 42 now).  :mellow:
My youngest will graduate highschool when I'm only 2 years older than you...

The thought of having to deal with baby food and diapers again is the source of nightmares.

Last edited by a moderator:
I unequivocally believe sometimes circumstances occur that are more than just random chance or coincidence. To put it simply, sometimes "fate" smiles upon us and sometimes she kicks us in the balls. I believe that there are occasions when her charity or perceived wrath happen for a reason. To push us in a particular direction. A discussion of the events that have lead me to this conclusion would be pointless since most of us are strangers to one another and it would be easy for you to just discount them to the ramblings of just another internet philosopher preaching his version of truth. So as not to enter a metaphysical or philosophical debate, I will just say that during the course of my life I have experienced things that defy traditional scientific explanation or understanding and said experiences brought me to the conclusion that yes, sometimes there is a reason why that particular event occurred. That being said one of my favorite quotes is "luck favors the prepared."

we were talking about you...
I know.  Just saying if I get too old and can't keep up with the kids, my wife is still youthful and should be able to cover it.  ;o)

My youngest will graduate highschool when I'm only 2 years older than you...

The thought of having to deal with baby food and diapers again is the source of nightmares.
I guess I know what you guys are saying.  I just started things in life later than most.  Had my 1st at 35, 2nd at 37/38, and 3rd at 41.  But I am so stoked to have this baby girl.  She's a huge source of happiness.  I wouldn't change it for anything.  :D  

My mom had my brother at 37 and me at 40. My dad was 48 when I was born!

Yep, my parents were definitely on the older end of parents growing up, and my dad is the age of some of my friends' grandparents these days. But I'm rather thankful for my existence. :)

As for the original topic, I don't really think everything happens for a reason. But that's probably mostly based on life experiences I've had.

Then again, I was a hard subscriber to accepting that "it was not my time to pass" the first time I found out I failed the P.E. exam, when I really, really thought I had passed.

I guess I should always trust Red

ab3866d3ee76a3cde6999238092385d5.jpg

That's nice. Just wait until she turns 9. @Supe knows what I mean.
This, but make that "13".  There's a rough patch in there until they come home at 21 and admit everything you warned them about was correct. I'm just holding my breath.

There's no such thing as fate, only probability.  If you have a good probability-generator, good things will eventually happen in spite of the random bad, because you've put yourself in position for luck to find you.  Someone with a bad probability-generator, aka bad decision making skills, will wonder why they're always so unlucky.  Well, it's because they put themselves in the position for bad luck to find them. MATH!

There's no such thing as fate, only probability.  If you have a good probability-generator, good things will eventually happen in spite of the random bad, because you've put yourself in position for luck to find you.  Someone with a bad probability-generator, aka bad decision making skills, will wonder why they're always so unlucky.  Well, it's because they put themselves in the position for bad luck to find them. MATH!
this is a good way to put it...    

This, but make that "13".  There's a rough patch in there until they come home at 21 and admit everything you warned them about was correct. I'm just holding my breath.
Well that's a relief.  Only 6 more months and my daughter will suddenly start listening to my advice and stop doing dumb stuff!

RG asked this question "not in a religious sense", but I don't see how you could ask it any other way.  If there is a reason for things, then there must be a "Reasoner".  Just like a creation requires a creator.  I do believe God has his hand on our lives.  All things, bad and good, can be for a greater purpose that we may or may not ever know about.  To believe in fate or anything like it without believing in a god to control it is contradictory IMHO.

RG asked this question "not in a religious sense", but I don't see how you could ask it any other way.  If there is a reason for things, then there must be a "Reasoner".  Just like a creation requires a creator.  I do believe God has his hand on our lives.  All things, bad and good, can be for a greater purpose that we may or may not ever know about.  To believe in fate or anything like it without believing in a god to control it is contradictory IMHO.
I take it you never read "The Secret"

Back