European Vacation (No, not the National Lampoon kind)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps. My father-in-law's grandparents are from Hungary. I suppose if most of the food I ate was tasteless, I'd hate everything too.

Perhaps. My father-in-law's grandparents are from Hungary. I suppose if most of the food I ate was tasteless, I'd hate everything too.

Don't go knocking our stuffed cabbage, paprikash, and goulash. If you think they're tasteless, you've got the wrong people cooking.

Namely my mother-in-law. She made Hungarian potatoes and I think all she did was put parprika on some boiled potatoes, completely avoiding any other seasoning.

All her other food is tasteless as well. She also insists on calling potica kolache and she's missing that 1. kolache is like a danish and 2. it's not pronounced ko-lach and 3. potica is it's own thing.

my kid brought back hungarian goulash spice from when he visited there. That stuff was incredible! Still haven't found the mix in the fancy spice shops in town.

my kid brought back hungarian goulash spice from when he visited there. That stuff was incredible! Still haven't found the mix in the fancy spice shops in town.

Goulash spice should be nothing more than Hungarian sweet paprika. It has a way deeper flavor than the Spanish/domestic paprikas, and is less bitter. It makes all the difference. If there's anything else in it, it's probably salt, fennel, and maybe some chili powder.

Man, it's hard to beat a good thick goulash with dumplings or egg noodles. My grandmother used to serve with super thin sliced onions.

I think it was Hungarian paprika, garlic powder and some kind of herb. he and the girlfriend made us goulash with gluten free dumplings. pretty epic.

How in the hell does one make a gluten-free dumpling?

Vacation is going to be on hold until at least next year. Sister got an opportunity to go on a safari in South Africa and jumped on it. Once she told me the price, I opted to buy another racecar and run races the rest of the year. It's cheaper...

Latest posts

Back