Things kids born in 2011 won't know

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what was a computer lab? In elementary school our school had 2-3 computers on carts that moved from room to room each class got the computer for a week at time, I think i was in 6th grade when they got them. Even then the computers were the cartridge variety.

By the time I was a senior in HS (1998) we had a designated computer lab, and it was full of macs.

I graduated college in 1997. ^^^^

I didn't have my own computer until I built my first one in 1998. Went thru college using an electric typwriter to do papers. Pretty sad eh?

We did have computers labs in college though, and I learned QBasic. :D

My brothers had the electric type writers, too. I gradjiated HS in 1997 and my first college email account was DOS based. My first computer was a Compaq Presario 486 SX/66 with a 210 MB HD and 4 MB RAM. I Windows 3.1'd the hell out of that sucker!

what was a computer lab? In elementary school our school had 2-3 computers on carts that moved from room to room each class got the computer for a week at time, I think i was in 6th grade when they got them. Even then the computers were the cartridge variety.
By the time I was a senior in HS (1998) we had a designated computer lab, and it was full of macs.
We had a lab with eight or ten Apple IIe's back in 82 or 83 in our HS. Graduated college in 88 and by that time was doing all my typing on Word Perfect.

Does anyone use these programs anymore on a regular basis?

Basic

BasicA

QBasic

C++

Pascal

Fortran

WordPerfect

WordStar

Lotus 123

I used to have a Zenith Z100 computer when I was at HQ MAC in the early nineties. Integrated screen, keyboard, and display with two, yes, two, 5 1/4 floppy drives. And the display was that supercool green dot display.

Anyone remember daisy wheel printers and tractor feed paper?

My folks still have their Apple IIe that I cut my computing teeth on as a sixth grader, complete with ImageWriter tractor feed, dot matrix printer.

My folks still have their Apple IIe that I cut my computing teeth on as a sixth grader, complete with ImageWriter tractor feed, dot matrix printer.
Had to Google a picture. It is, in fact, an ImageWriter II!

We had a lab with eight or ten Apple IIe's back in 82 or 83 in our HS. Graduated college in 88 and by that time was doing all my typing on Word Perfect.

Does anyone use these programs anymore on a regular basis?

Basic

BasicA

QBasic

C++

Pascal

Fortran

WordPerfect

WordStar

Lotus 123

I used to have a Zenith Z100 computer when I was at HQ MAC in the early nineties. Integrated screen, keyboard, and display with two, yes, two, 5 1/4 floppy drives. And the display was that supercool green dot display.

Anyone remember daisy wheel printers and tractor feed paper?
On occasion i will still use QBasic these days.

I remember wheel printers and tractor feed paper quite well. Okidata, baby. They were the cat's pajamas!

I used to use DOSSHELL a lot when I still used Windows 3.11, which I still think was far better than any successive Windows OS.

Back