Encourage someone studying for October

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get 'er done guys (and gals)!

May be easier said than done, but don't stress and try to relax! Friday evening will be great!

Ed

looks like you guys have been doing a great job preparing for this exam. a week before april's exam, i was a total mess and thought that i was going to get killed. but as long as you put in the time, you'll do fine. nothing left to do now but to get a lot of sleep and clear your head.

I haven't posted on the board for a awhile but I have been reading it. Just wanted to wish all you guys and ladies the best of luck this Friday. With all the prepartation and sacrifices that you have made to take the exam it's all going to be rewarded back to each and everyone of you by receiving that passing letter in January!! : USA :

I've been studying for almost 2 weeks now. Damn, this stuff gets old quick!

It's that time again... time for those studying to get serious. I know when I hit the two month mark to go, it was time for me to tie up some loose ends, work a ton of problems, and get myself mentally prepared to do this.

To all of you test takers... study hard, but one night a week, kick back, relax, do something fun, forget about the exam for an evening. You'll find yourself refocused and ready to start cranking out the problems the next time you sit down.

Kick some ass in October! We are all pulling for you!

-Ray

I've been tryioing to do about two hours a day. I spent spring trying to figure out if I wanted to take mechanical or fire protection, studying both. I took the summer off and picked up again a couple of weeks ago. Right now I'm skimming through the MERM, getting a lay of the land, then I'm gonna tab it. After that, problem solving galore.

I tend to do about an hour at lunch and 2 hours a night. Its much harder this time, motivation is a huge problem. I'm going to focus on the weak areas and near the end just brush up on the strong areas to stay sharp. Looking back in hindsight I didnt study 'smart' and spent way too much time on certain areas and not enough on others.

Last edited by a moderator:
A month and a half of studying, and I was 2 months shy with experience :oops: (i figured it was worth the 30 bucks to apply).

What do you all think? Lay low until January or keep at it until April??

A month and a half of studying, and I was 2 months shy with experience :oops: (i figured it was worth the 30 bucks to apply).What do you all think? Lay low until January or keep at it until April??
I would probably work a few problems every now and then and go on a full study schedule starting January or so.

What do you all think? Lay low until January or keep at it until April??
You'll burn out if you stay at it from now until April. I suggest some organizing and a little studying, but also take advantage of the extra time to finish any non-test stuff that needs to get done. If the rest of your life is in good order, it's easier to study.

:D Less than sixty days to go! Its your choice if the light at the end of the tunnel is the exit or the PE train barrelling forward to railroad you. Hit those books! :D

Who dug this back up? I was a bit freaked when I saw this.....it doesn't really work until Tuesday!

A month and a half of studying, and I was 2 months shy with experience :oops: (i figured it was worth the 30 bucks to apply).What do you all think? Lay low until January or keep at it until April??
slade9,

I was in a similar situation last year. I had applied for the October '06 exam, and was notified by the state that I was approved for the October '06 exam and the April '07 exam. Problem for me was that my wife had to take her qualifying exam for her doctorate the weekend where the PE would have fallen, and she had no option for a different date. I opted to take the April exam so my wife could study while I watched our son. I did take a review class last summer, but found that the best use of my time leading up to the full blown studying in January was to prepare my notebooks, gather references, read through & tab books that I wasn't familiar with.

The next few months would be great for you to get organized, set up your notebooks, etc. so that when you hit January, you can be tweaking your notes, working problems, and focusing on the nuts and bolts of the topics.

Good luck!

-Ray

Its rough going through some of this stuff. I've been out of school for 19 years...I'm moving really slow on the questions right now, and hope my speed picks up with practice.

Its rough going through some of this stuff. I've been out of school for 19 years...I'm moving really slow on the questions right now, and hope my speed picks up with practice.
Cap,

It is slowly but you are moving and that is what really matters. As long as you move there is progress and as long there is progress you are moving in the right direction.

The PE is not a sprint race; it is an endurance test. Keep it up and say :bio:

Good luck!!!!!

No sympathy from me. I left college in 1978 without a degree and passed PE in April, 2007. You can do it, too. You just need to get your brain in condition. Give it all you've got. :thumbs:

^^ yeah, I took it at 46 years old and having worked in construction for 25 years. The brain tune up took a little while, but then it started to click. You can do it! :thumbs:

Back