elliptical machine

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bought an elliptical machine about 12 years ago. It made a great coat rack until we sold it. 

I'm with you, MA_PE.  I'm much more likely to actually work out if the equipment is in my house than if I have to go out of my way to head to the gym.  It fits into my routine a lot better to roll out of bed, work out and then carry on with the day.

We bought a cheap ellipitcal about a year ago.  I don't remember the brand, but it was under $200.  It's not the most sturdy thing around, but it's fine for the amount I use it (alternate between it, the treadmill and the bike).  And as wilheldp_PE said, if it breaks I can just get another one.

^ concur. That's what made some of the beach body home workouts so attractive. No membership (even if cheap) fee, no worrying about packing a bag, getting there, parking, etc. 

yeah but what about the times I tell the old ball and chain I am going to the gym but really go to Rock Bottom Brewery for nachos and beer?

^ concur. That's what made some of the beach body home workouts so attractive. No membership (even if cheap) fee, no worrying about packing a bag, getting there, parking, etc. 
It can go both ways.  A racing friend of mine weighed 400+ lbs.  He joined one of those $250/mo type gyms to feel obligated to go (even sold a car to pay for the membership).  He's lost over 150# in just over a year and has totally changed his life.  I only pay like $35/mo, but still feel an obligation to go because I'm paying for it.

I can't workout at home for the same reason I can't work from home. Too many distractions. If the couch & TV are right there, it's where I'm going. I've tried it multiple times and can't keep it going for more then a couple months.

Going to the gym is more effort (including driving/parking/etc), but when I get there I am fully there. I won't be distracted by the kids, the wife, the phone, and I can mentally put my effort into the workout.

This ne cost me $60.

Precor_EFX_524_Side_7.jpg

Found it on a Gov't surplus auction site.  It's a commercial Precor that was from a rec. center.  I was a little skeptical but I figured for $60, what would it hurt.  Thing was like new and had been maintained really well.  The only thing not working were the little metal plates on the handle that are supposed to measure your heart rate.  There's no wiring in the handles (I had to take it apart to get it down to the basement) so one of these days I'll look to see if they just need to have a battery replaced.

Not yet.  I keep trying to  just convince myself to go to the gym.

Back