Ebola is here, Dallas, Texas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read where they are saying the nurse on the flight had a 'slight' fever the day she flew. When are they actually going to treat this like a problem and start making people stay put where they are. Now they have to track down everyone on that flight...

Just to play devils advocate, but what level is it really the government's responsibility? I blame the nurse, who really probably knew she had a "slight fever" and I'm SURE knew she had dealt with an Ebola patient. Not a single person has said a word about her poor decision. So we are blaming the government for failing to anticipate that a person in the medical field was uneducated enough to "inadvertently" expose the people on the plane... and POTENTIALLY EVERYONE ELSE she came in contact with?

Yes I understand that mistakes happen, and that everyone becomes lax with some procedures here and there, but it's not like the first case wasn't all over the media and being made into a big deal that these people didn't have a constant reminder in their faces of what they were dealing with.

The government should only have to focus on restrictions of incoming passengers (which they HAD restrictions in place but the first dude full out lied so it wouldn't have been caught- now we need to consider escalating them). Ensuring that the public utilities are protected, ensuring that the food chain is not contaminated in any way, ensuring that the professionals who are dealing with it are fully trained and aware and focusing on healing those that have contracted it.

It was actually nice to hear how the story played out locally. Woman returns from Liberia, goes to Christian clinic to seek treatment for cold. Doctor believes nothing out of her mouth about not being exposed to Ebola, closes the entire clinic down and arranges transport to the large hospital where she is isolated and tested. While the tests have come back negative, she's still in isolation until the CDC can confirm.
I think the nurse was completely irresponsible and blame her 98%. But knowing how inconsiderate/stupid it seems most people are, it seems like a gov mandated isolation for anyone known to come into contact with an ebola patient is the only way to keep people from doing something stupid like getting on a flight when you are a supposed health care professional.

She's probably going to die anyway and then they will put her pets to sleep so what does it really matter?( about losing her job)

I wish every nurse in America would give a blue flu type call in for a week...

Last edited by a moderator:
RG, the nurse in the interview is not the second news to be diagnosed.

Snick- that's a very uninformed statement....that's what is actually happening in most all hospitals....

Snick- that's a very uninformed statement....that's what is actually happening in most all hospitals..
I have no doubt that this is happening all over, I just don't agree with the her method. Going straight to media should not be the first thing on your mind.

Who else do you go to when no one else will listen?

These nurses have seen all the jokes about Ebola from the likes of even educated people on this board from people not taking this seriously. they have always had to deal with the threat of disease,death to do their job, now it's even more so... I would be frustrated as hell also....

When doctors contracted Ebola in Africa did people blame the doctors? But the dumb nurses yeah let's blame them...

When 18 rangers died and 80 were wounded in Somalia did you blame the army rangers or their leaders? Yep dumb ranger failed to follow protocol and allowed himself to get shot in the neck and bleed to death...

Don't be fooled by any hospital that tells you they are "prepared"....

I was in total support of her and the interview that she gave this morning. When asked about what she encountered, she answered honestly and thoroughly. I'm sure the lawyer coached as to exactly how to respond. The only part that bothered me was her response at the end of the interview where she was asked if she would go to her hospital if she was found to have symptoms of the virus. To which she replied no. It wasn't that she replied no, but it was how she did it that rubbed me the wrong way. Up to that point I saw no grounds for the hospital to be able to or look to dismiss her, until then. And again, she didn't say anything wrong at all. It was just the way she said it.

As for my earlier statement about the CDC permitting the second nurse to travel, I swear I saw a statement published where the CDC told her not to fly. And then after, a second statement completely contradicting it stating that they told her it was ok.

I wish every nurse in America would walk out right now.. there is no way they can fire them all.. I don't normally believe in pussy liberal union tactics but I wish they would all up and quit until they provide some real equipment and training for them all... If no one cares about their safety why should they give a rats ass about your family member sitting in the hospital (& have to deal with their asshole family members during their 14 hour shifts?)

I'd like to say first I'm glad I'm not a healthcare worker.

Secondly, the government regulates things when people won't self-regulate. It's that simple. So, if people aren't self-policing, that's when the government steps in. It's why we have speed limits. It's probably why we're going to see some ebola travel restrictions coming on soon.

I'll be honest, I'm actually a little confused about the guidance. In reality, you can't catch this crap through your skin, so if you can disinfect any skin areas that were exposed, you would be fine. It makes sense to cover as much of that skin as possible because even the smallest of droplets landing on the tiniest nick could infect you, but doesn't it sort of depend on what your interaction with the patient is and what stage of the sickness they are in? I mean if the patient is still in the early stages of the symptoms, there is MUCH less risk involved for the health care professionals (as long as they are aware it's ebola) than when they are in the bleed out phase of it because there is less bodily fluids involved. The danger that comes with the initial stage of symptoms is that it's probably not KNOWN that it's ebola and the person is walking around thinking they have the flu and spreading droplet sized contaminated spittle over everything they come in contact with... and that virus will sit there and wait until someone else picks it up.

I will say that I don't think people are actually realizing how nasty of a virus this is or they would not be making fun of the "paranoid people". I think if I ever contracted it and got to the point where my body was painfully disintegrating that I would rather someone shoot me and end it quick.

This is what they are telling joe blo healthcare worker...

d955a0c51146ebbf651532f8f916d6ce.jpg

Anybody else read "The Hot Zone"? We had to read it in our chemistry class. It is supposedly a true story about the origins of the Ebola virus. It is pretty cheap on Amazon.

It would be nice if you could run your concerns up your chain of command....,
Done. Waiting for response.
Guidance may be changing... I am hearing now that *perhaps* a strong chlorine solution will be required in toilet prior to flushing, as well as a required contact time before flushing.

It seems that others share my concerns.

Back