DONE with United Airlines

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only airline contracts.  But it's a contract millions of people agree to every day.
it says you can be forcibly removed from the plane due to overbooking?  I am pretty sure I have not seen that on my tickets.

And I have no love for the airline.

They don't have to care about customer service because like the people CSB pointed out- no one really gives a shit unless it applies to them.

Anyone notice their is no film of the cops asking dude to get off plane?

Check out those people pulling out their iPhone 8's and recording it and saying "that's terrible". Stewardess - will we take off soon?

I'll wager everyone in this thread dinner that the cop is only on leave because that's what happens when one gets in the news and then they investigate and find the cop didn't do anything wrong (while we move on to the next Harambe story) & also that the airlines doesn't pay out more to this "doctor" than $10k

Audi driver said:
2 minutes ago, Audi driver, P.E. said: It's a private business with contractual rules for the passengers being there.  The contract was broken by the customer.  I hope any blame for rough treatment is placed where it belongs: on security and the police.
Again, what legal contract do you know of where once you have paid for a service, the business can not only deny you the service as a result of a random selection  but also have you forcibly removed from the service?
Sporting events

Concerts

Movies

Hotels

Etc

Read the back of those tix stubs.

Additionally

My kids teacher got hit by a fly ball at a braves game and had to have major surgery - was out of work a year - and the braves paid $0.0.

Sporting events

Concerts

Movies

Hotels

Etc

Read the back of those tix stubs.

Additionally

My kids teacher got hit by a fly ball at a braves game and had to have major surgery - was out of work a year - and the braves paid $0.0.
At least they didn't sell her seat twice and get everyone in the stadium and be like "crap...we can't play the ballgame until we figure out what to do about these bleachers."

Also, I'm excited to try Virgin for the first time in June!
I, too, would like to try a virgin in June. 

I was once on a flight where I was standby, but they gave me a ticket and I was on the plane, buckled in, when I hear the flight attendants talking about how they are short a seat and they don't know how and they think it's because a lap child is in a paid seat, but instead of walking back to find out, they page me. Now, they botch my last name, so I briefly think of just acting dumb and still flying home. But here's the thing- I'm seated next to a blind guy and I panic that he can sense that I'm that person and I raise my hand and get off the plane, furious that they didn't check for the lap child. 

1. I'm not sure why I thought blind people have super powers. 

2. I got off the plane when they called my name, even though I was in a seat. 

So what about United's obligation to the other 170+ passengers? If they don't take off, then the airline is in breach of the other 170 contracts. Plus, now the plane is delayed at the gate which will impact both future flights at that gate (next plane waiting to unload) and the flight this plane is scheduled for at the next airport. These major international airports operate on schedules down to the minute. If one plane is off, there is a domino effect for the rest of the day impacting thousands of passengers at dozens of airports.

One person versus hundreds. I think this is a case of the "greater good."

Was this handled the best it could have been? Of course not. The passenger escalated things, the airline escalated things, and in the end everyone lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Any pimply teenager who has worked a minimum of 3 months at a McDonald's would have been able to handle this without the same, extreme results as these "professionals" at United, because he/she has to deal with assholes every hour of their shift, every day they work, with absolutely no power to do anything but appease the customer. 

so just for discussion, lets say they are at the point where they have drawn names and chosen 4 people to be removed and you have this 1 dude who wont comply, other than dragging the guy out of the seat what other options could they have done? I am assuming they were already at the point where no one else "volunteered"  to take another flight?

You start negotiating. Clearly the doctor isn't going to cave, so you announce to the plane that it can't leave until one more person gives up their seat.  Re-state the offer, and increase it if you are able to.  But the plane doesn't leave until someone gives up a seat.  If nobody takes you up in 10 minutes (or whatever), make one of the United employees stay back.  

C9EXof_UwAACwTQ.jpg:large

You start negotiating. Clearly the doctor isn't going to cave, so you announce to the plane that it can't leave until one more person gives up their seat.  Re-state the offer, and increase it if you are able to.  But the plane doesn't leave until someone gives up a seat.  If nobody takes you up in 10 minutes (or whatever), make one of the United employees stay back.  
From what I have read that all happened for an extended period of time......

I read that they made offers of money and tickets, but I haven't read anything to suggest that they held the plane back or that they took care of this before letting passengers board, which only increased the trouble.  I also haven't read that they attempted to pull one of their employees - not all were pilots. 

It sounds like the whole ordeal took 3 hours (while people were on the plane)-

Yeah I don't think they offered to hold their crew up- but why should they it's their plane- but if you are the front line person and are being told to make the guy get up i am sure that question came up and their bosses said no- I am not sure what else you do?

Including the flight attendants I mean these people are basically one step away from working at a sears or wal mart.

We'll just have to wait and see what Rachel Maddox has to say about all this!

Back