Do I take this opportunity?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surfdome!
surf460.jpg
That would be something I could sign up for if I were in the OP's situation. Unfortunatly all joking aside, companies know that people are desparate so they are cutting things like moving expenses and sign on bonuses. However the census data shows that people are staying put and just moving in with family because the costs of travel are sky rocketing.

In all seriousness though, read the original post in which he said he recently moved to Southern California to look for a job. The company does not need to pay for any moving costs because they would have hired a local.

Surfdome? Well that sounds great, I actually have a friend who works for a company that designs standing wave machines but unfortunately the market for $1,000,000 is not that great currently so no job opportunities there.

I feel like I should be looking for temporary/contract work so I could be constantly looking for work and be earning an income while gaining some more experience.

What is everyone's experiences in temporary/contract work in the engineering world?

Surfdome? Well that sounds great, I actually have a friend who works for a company that designs standing wave machines but unfortunately the market for $1,000,000 is not that great currently so no job opportunities there.
I feel like I should be looking for temporary/contract work so I could be constantly looking for work and be earning an income while gaining some more experience.

What is everyone's experiences in temporary/contract work in the engineering world?
Depends on how many years of experience you have, my experience has been that it is near impossible to get independant contract work unless you have AT LEAST 10 years of experience, but I have seen requirements for up to 15-20 years experience. The pay is really good though. Maybe its different in other states or other industries.

OK, let's explore your options. You are already in So Cal, have resources saved up and are trying to find a job. You may wish to poke around a little longer, however, it may be worth it to take the job, even though it is less than you had desired.

A. Plan on working there for 2 years, no matter what. You can stand on your head for 2 years if you have to-- it is only 24 months.

B. You will learn the area, the companies, the customers and the competitors as well as your discipline.

C. I do agree that a smaller firm provides you with greater opportunity to do a wide variety of tasks that you may not receive in a larger, more specialized firm. There is benefit in this experence.

D. Live very frugally to begin with.. Yes, I know that you are away from home, a degree, job, etc. Live frugally and make every penny count.

E. Become indispensible to the company. Learn what nobody else wants to learn, specialize in what no body else wants to specialize in and push hard.

F. If this owner fails to see your value, one of your competitors will most certainly see it and will offer you a much better position.

G. Get involved with after hours events== baseball, soccer, church, service club, whatever you need, do it. Get your name out there so people know you. This is tough for many engineers, however, do it.

H. In 18 months, if the salary has not had an increase, no increased or exciting job assignments, begin looking at other opportunities, planning on bailing out at the 24 month period.

I. I think in today's world, they will give you a raise and push you hard if you show what you can do.

Good Luck!

Back