Curious...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many of each do we have here?

• Female

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Male

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
27 engineers in my dept. of which 5 are female. Six months ago our dept. had 30 engineers and 8 were female.

Keep in mind that I work in the "Oil Patch" now. At the home office where I keep my HP48GX;

8 engineers - All male (I am one of two PEs)

5 Executive Staff - All Male

7 Support Staff - four ladies and three men

And we literally had more women in my reinforced Infantry Regiment last year in Iraq.

Freon

ratio where I work - 8 people (1 principal engineer, his wife (office manager), 2 non-principal engineers (me included), 2 plumbing designers, and 2 cad operators. Other than the wife, i'm the only other female.

my last job, other than the accountant and marketing / sales person, i was the only female out of 20 people. by the time i left, they had hired 3 other female engineers. (it was still around 20 people - very high turnover at that company)

Edit: Also, what is the ratio where you work? I work with in a dept of 13 and am the only female (which makes for fun days when the testoterone is raging).
I work at a large electric utility, the PE email list (which doesn't include me yet) has 75 names with 1 female. The 'Engineer' email list has 179 names with 5 females... WOW didn't know there were that few!

As my wife is fond of saying about being a girl in an engineering school: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd."
Wow I thought the number of female engineers was getting closer to the number of men. Fun poll. And VTEnviro I agree with your wife!! That's a great quote

Counting my boss and her more or less direct reports, it's 6 men and 4 women. Of the four women, one is clerical, one (the boss) is an EE and the two women are Chem E's.

That's sounds pretty out of the ordinary.

No females in this office who aren't admins. I'm the welding "engineer", and we've got 4 male rigging guys, but that's it. Across the street in E&C I recall seeing a fair share of women mixed in, but they definitely stood out in a crowd. I would hate to work over there, cubicle walls are all shoulder height, so it would be impossible to spam online all day!

I was just curious. It seems like there are more females on the board than there used to be :bananapowerslide:

but they don't seem to be voting in the poll...

Latest posts

Back