Cubscouts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apparently I left way too much wood weight on these two cars. middle of the pack times again. 2.88 s was our best run. best time for the day was 2.67 s

I do think you can "overthink " the cars!

But the way I saw it, so long as your kid isn't the one whose car doesn't make it all the way down the track you have done your job!

PH- The cost vary from pack to pack, our "dues" were around $75 a year. You buy the shirt, book, and a few patches. The pack buys the "badges"

If you are considering it for the fall look around ebay for used cub scout shirts in the summer, they will be plentiful as kids grow fast, they will be hard to find once school starts and the pack year begins. We bought a large blue shirt for the kids that gets them through 3rd grade usually.

So we're doing the derby again. I let the boy pick out the design for one. I designed the other. Naturally, he picked a Spiderman design. Mine was merely going for the concept of cutting off as much of the wood block as possible so I can put it back in the form of tungsten. Both blocks, are about 1.0 oz... 5 is the max at weigh-ins. Before cutting them down, we pre-drilled the axle slots to assure the wheels are. All level and the track is true. Next we'll grind off the burs on the axles, and the tungsten weights to the blocks, pudding and paint them.

Here is the current status of the car blocks.
84f502f6636d3a7caa576519b9c00311.jpg
092004316d6b3ff6a2b34823684d1bf4.jpg
62db71f7a18cab0b7087ef3439d304fd.jpg
05389488349ecd329d9e7360d1a66759.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was a Boy Scout / Cub Scout leader for 13 years, both sons achieved Eagle Scout.  Both had entered cars over the years and did quite well.  I did help them when using power equipment, but aside from that, they did the work themselves.  My happiest moment was when one of my cub scouts, took a saw, cut a wedge off of the front end of the block and glued it onto the back.  He painted the car with colored markers............He won.  Beat out all the other cars, especially the "Dad" modified cars that looked like months were taken to build and paint. 

Weigh-ins are this evening. All wheels touch. Right on weight. Let's hope this goes without a problem tonight and tomorrow the cars all run better than average. That's all I want.
e38d59e73093634019248ca1328450e8.jpg
45658c306bc22d50f1cab8fd31446f5b.jpg

so the red/blue car finished 2 in the Den, and 15 overall in the pack. not too bad. the black car was entered as a sibling car. While it ran faster than the red/blue car they did not publish the scores, but at least it won for best looking.

Overall, I'm happy with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats and good luck! Good looking car - those were fun times with the kids for sure!

Thanks.  We go to the regional race next month.   It will be tough to win there.  
congrats.  Where are the regionals held?

Back when my son was in the cubs we won the "city-wide" derby at the mall.  We came in second in his pack but the 1st place kid didn't bother with the extra "city-wide" event.  It's fun for them to bring home some hardware.

Not sure the location yet.  It will be at the of March, so there's time to make some minor tweeks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
PWD Nationals are this weekend in Times Square.   Should be interesting.  I'm not expecting much, but it will be fun just going.  

Back