Cubscouts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just signed my 14 year old and myself up for sea base next summer (living on a sailboat for 10 days in the Bahamas) & I have a 15 year old teenage girl who is absolutely pissed that they don't really have a girl equivalent of boy scouts!  girl scouts is a sad organization- they are almost afraid to do anything "outside"..

I just signed my 14 year old and myself up for sea base next summer (living on a sailboat for 10 days in the Bahamas) & I have a 15 year old teenage girl who is absolutely pissed that they don't really have a girl equivalent of boy scouts!  girl scouts is a sad organization- they are almost afraid to do anything "outside"..
I'll take Bahamas over cookies any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is very council dependent.  I went to girl scout camp twice (week long), cots on wood platforms with canvas sides.  we also did local campouts and day trips to local forest preserves.

When I ran our pinewood derby we had to check the nails to make sure they looked like the ones that came with the kit. If its not obvious from looking at the nail head that they are not the BSA nails then you can probably squeak by- but they are most defin not legal for BSA / Cub Scout use.  You have to use the nails and wheels that are from the BSA kit.

We were a pack with a lot of overpaid Lockheed martin engineers with a lot of free time, I recall a lot of times under 3.5 seconds..
last years car ran at 2.89 s and that was slow by comparison to the others. It actually finished middle of the pack for the whole race

Our scout troop back home (Atlanta) was chartered out of a catholic church, the only real interaction was doing some service projects (as a thank you for them letting us use their lights and space) and maybe a once a year pancake breakfast.  No one shows up at scout meetings to try and make your kid a catholic, religious, etc.

If your the kind of person that cant even be on a church property without going into a cross fit style anti religion rant, then no its not for you ;)  

But its a great program for boys, I cant say enough about it. Plus it is giving me the excuse to live on a boat for a week ;)

It's possible that they are illegal. I honestly don't know, however I do know that short of an anonymous call from a concerned citizen, the governing body will never know. As for the tool, on the blue paddle, there is a tongue which fits into the groove in the bottom of the car block. When held firmly against the block, there is only an opening the size of the axle available for the axle to be set into. Now, I'm sure that I could have pre-drilled the opening with a jig, but I opted against it. I was able to clamp the tool against the block and then set the axles, all the while watch them as I hammered them in to be sure that they were perpendicular to the block. Another nice aspect is the metal fork that rests against the side of the car. When set properly, you can hammer in the axles and they will all be evenly gapped due to the thickness of the fork. So the wheel itself will never be too close to the block.

Does that help any MA?
With only the steel guide at the front I can see it being helpful but not not too much better than one could do unaided and being careful.  However I do endorse that once they're in position to satisfaction some 5 minute epoxy will keep them there.

they really need to have two races.  boy scout and a separate one for the parents so the kids are really the ones making the cars
I believe there are some Cub packs that have done just that.

Our scout troop back home (Atlanta) was chartered out of a catholic church, the only real interaction was doing some service projects (as a thank you for them letting us use their lights and space) and maybe a once a year pancake breakfast.  No one shows up at scout meetings to try and make your kid a catholic, religious, etc.

If your the kind of person that cant even be on a church property without going into a cross fit style anti religion rant, then no its not for you ;)  

But its a great program for boys, I cant say enough about it. Plus it is giving me the excuse to live on a boat for a week ;)
Thanks RG.  I'm cool with all that, I just don't want them pushing religious doctrine on my boys.  It looks like atheists/agnostics are not allowed in the Scouts.  Don't ask, don't tell? 

the most is probably the oath that they will do their duty

Boy Scout Oath or Promise

On my honor, I will do my best 
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; 
To help other people at all times; 
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

the girl scout one is similar   [COLOR= rgb(84, 84, 84)]On my honor, I will try: To serve God and my country, To help people at all times, And to live by the Girl Scout Law.[/COLOR]  

Here's his, by his I mean my, first PW car.  He came in 9th of 89.  I only polished and put graphite on the axles.  The cars that beat us [me] had a wheel up.

image.jpeg

The year I did the least amount of "illegal crap" is the year we brought home the hardware...

9aab547ae2f787b4d636dd7e47b1ebc5.jpg

I won one year without doing much at all to my car.  It just all felt like luck, to me. 

a1a9a2dee2144678488245b91fbbc72a.jpg

So Weigh-ins were last night. Both cars made exact weight and the green TMNT car was accepted immediately. However, the yellow Shopkins cheese wedge was not. @Supe, apparently a front wheel was ever so slightly higher than the other three wheels. Unfortunately there was little that I could to the front wheels in the ways of adjusting them because I feared I would snap the car because it is too thin. So my only option was to adjust the rear wheel on the same side as the high wheel in the front. I got all four to touch and car was accepted. Race begins at 9.

So Weigh-ins were last night. Both cars made exact weight and the green TMNT car was accepted immediately. However, the yellow Shopkins cheese wedge was not. @Supe, apparently a front wheel was ever so slightly higher than the other three wheels. Unfortunately there was little that I could to the front wheels in the ways of adjusting them because I feared I would snap the car because it is too thin. So my only option was to adjust the rear wheel on the same side as the high wheel in the front. I got all four to touch and car was accepted. Race begins at 9.
Godspeed ninja car

Back