Cubscouts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mini P-E just joined the cub scouts a few weeks ago.  Went on our first camp trip with the scouts.    I was suprised that the activities were archery, BB gun shooting, tomahawk throwing and axe swinging...for six year olds.   I wonder what their insurance policy costs.  Had to grab him from falling into the fire once or twice.   Okay time but exhausted.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Mini P-E just joined the cub scouts a few weeks ago.  Went on our first camp trip with the scouts.    I was suprised that the activities were archery, BB gun shooting, tomahawk throwing and axe swinging...for six year olds.   I wonder what their insurance policy costs.  Had to grab him from falling into the fire once or twice.   Okay time but exhausted.  
Just sign the dotted line.... ;)

really?  we never did that with cubs.  Only once we were in boy scouts.

really?  we never did that with cubs.  Only once we were in boy scouts.
Yup.  We tried all the stuff with a lot of supervision.  We were at camp sayre in the blue hills. 

BB Guns are allowed in cub scouts, but I thought it was only for Webelos.  Archery isn't something my cubs ever did.  I was a Cubmaster for 2 years.  Tomahawk throwing sounds a bit scary.  Yeah, the biggest concern usually with cub scouts is the fire.  They are attracted to it like flies to a picnic and I swear they'd jump in it if they were allowed to.

I'm surprised they don't let them do .22 shooting anymore.  I know I used to see at least a lot of 4H clubs do it.

Cubs are

Supposed to only do BB's and archery at camporees's.(groups of scouts- generally run by the district). But all ranks of Cubs can shoot them.

Sounds like you were at a BSA camporee? (That's where I've see the hatchet throwing). It's usually well supervised and beats kids playing video games all weekend.

They always like to invite Cubs to the bsa camporee but I agree usually a little older when they are close to crossing over..

Yes BSA camporee. All Cubs from the pack were invited.  Tiger parents didn't get into it much.  The older dens had better participation and organization.  I didn't complain for fear of being reeled in as a den master.  

I think it's a bit premature to bring 6yos, but that's just my opinion.

what I have seen with the BSA Camporee's is they only invite the Webelos (4th & 5th Graders)

I am sure SG2S (safe guide to scouting) doesn't permit a cub scout (non Webelos) to throw the "axe"  but I don't see an issue with BB guns and Archery (these are usually like $20 bows you get at wal mart)

P-E I have to say I was a den leader for both my kids from Tiger to Cross Over and also at the same time the Cub Master for our Pack of around 80 kids)  It was at times a ton of work and frustrating to get help but I made some great life long friends with the other scout leaders and even the kids whom I was able to be a small part of their lives & some of the best leaders we had didn't have any scouting experience.. 2 of my 3 kids are in HS (where they don't need any parent help) and I am coaching for my last time this Fall before my youngest goes to HS next year,  But I found being involved in scouting a truly great and fun experience that your kid will remember for a long time.

My first group of den parents became true life long friends, we are all scattered around the country now but they are the adult friends of mine who answer the phone when you call them..

I'm an Assistant Scout Master now at my younger kids troop and I have to admit while the camping is better (all us adults just sort of relax since the boys manage themselves) I do miss the camaraderie we had with our cub scout group (even though it involves lots of work on those cub scout campouts, of which we only did one a year)

well today was a good day!

I took my sons Eagle Scout application to the main council office to get reviewed and signed off on.  Basically what this means is that he just has to have his Board of Review and then will be "done" an Eagle Scout, 3rd Generation. 

Its been a total PIA this last year and a half to try and get him to do anything on this. Ive been quietly pushing him from time to time but haven't made it "my job"  He had been trying to find a time to take his application to get reviewed (they make sure all his dates of ranks and such are accurate) but they are only open M-F, 8-4:30 so if you are in school its tough to get done, so finally he asked If I would take it and have it done..The Denver office is failry close to my work so I was able to stop by during lunch..

Although I don't want him to put this off much longer this means he can technically receive his rank after he turns 18 (since all the "work" is done) - he turns 18 in August

Now I get to start pushing his little brother (just turned 14) and is "life" rank!

9061ea8a0c411482c23dfe882b76c59b.jpg

It's that time of the year again. Derby time! This year I get two cars to run.

did you polish your axle?
I was going to but then I ended up buying graphite coated axles with the grooves in them. I also bought a tool to set the axles all evenly. Both cars when pushed on flat surfaces run in a straight line neither one pulls to either side.

By set axles evenly, I hope you mean three evenly with one not touching.

By set axles evenly, I hope you mean three evenly with one not touching.
Gently not. I tried that last year and they told me that I had to bend one of the axle so that way that all four wheels were touching. So as to avoid that this year, I set all four evenly, that way the car won't pull in either direction and ride the center rail, and creating additional friction

Back