Cubscouts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Protest.  Tell them to show you in the rules where it says that.  Fight the establishment.  
It's all good. I have a decent feeling about these cars. And, FWIW, a front wheel on both cars is ever so slightly raised higher. It spins when put in motion, but barely. Just enough so that teh judges wont complain that the cars are up on three of four wheels.

Nice to see that your, *ahem*, kids are putting much thought and effort into their pinewood derby cars.
Well, I got the royal treatment last year being the dad who is an engineer, coming in behind the other dads. So this year I decided to up the game a bit

I was going to but then I ended up buying graphite coated axles with the grooves in them. I also bought a tool to set the axles all evenly. Both cars when pushed on flat surfaces run in a straight line neither one pulls to either side.
I'm long gone out of the PW Derby but I'm curious about the axles and alignment tool.  Can you post a link so I can see what they look like?

15 hours ago, NJmike PE said: I was going to but then I ended up buying graphite coated axles with the grooves in them. I also bought a tool to set the axles all evenly. Both cars when pushed on flat surfaces run in a straight line neither one pulls to either side.
I'm long gone out of the PW Derby but I'm curious about the axles and alignment tool.  Can you post a link so I can see what they look like?
c3e4bd96cdf11e05f8f8c17f9640a5ab.jpg
dc965da170db4824f9110af659b6c65f.jpg
63f471ba2c04c8cf60704ad33585bc53.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo you spent $45 to beat a bunch of 8 year olds.

/monthly_2017_02/untitled.jpg.5d397fc2b8d68f22971ad987d978dd50.jpg
Maybe upfront, but I'll get my money's worth out of both the axles and the axle tool. I'll reuse them each year

He's out of uniform and there's a rocket on his pine wood derby trophy.  Was that the "special" PW derby?

NJMike:  The axles look illegal and I'm not clear on how the axle tool works to assure 4 wheel alignment.

He's out of uniform and there's a rocket on his pine wood derby trophy.  Was that the "special" PW derby?

NJMike:  The axles look illegal and I'm not clear on how the axle tool works to assure 4 wheel alignment.
It's possible that they are illegal. I honestly don't know, however I do know that short of an anonymous call from a concerned citizen, the governing body will never know. As for the tool, on the blue paddle, there is a tongue which fits into the groove in the bottom of the car block. When held firmly against the block, there is only an opening the size of the axle available for the axle to be set into. Now, I'm sure that I could have pre-drilled the opening with a jig, but I opted against it. I was able to clamp the tool against the block and then set the axles, all the while watch them as I hammered them in to be sure that they were perpendicular to the block. Another nice aspect is the metal fork that rests against the side of the car. When set properly, you can hammer in the axles and they will all be evenly gapped due to the thickness of the fork. So the wheel itself will never be too close to the block.

Does that help any MA?

In a way I am glad minisnick isn't doing the whole cub scout thing.  meeting times just don't jive with our work schedules

When I ran our pinewood derby we had to check the nails to make sure they looked like the ones that came with the kit. If its not obvious from looking at the nail head that they are not the BSA nails then you can probably squeak by- but they are most defin not legal for BSA / Cub Scout use.  You have to use the nails and wheels that are from the BSA kit.

We were a pack with a lot of overpaid Lockheed martin engineers with a lot of free time, I recall a lot of times under 3.5 seconds..

I thought of the Scouts for my boys (now 4 and 6).  A little concerned about the "spirituality" of it though.  How faith-based is it? 

Its very low spirituality based in practice, even though it was originated as a Christian based organization, its very vanilla...

Back