Countdown to Football Season!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry, been too busy to respond today but I don't think that the number of programs that have won a national championship in the past 20 years is a great barometer of how good a conference is. Someone who has the time should look at some sort of weighted ranking point system. i.e. if a team in your conference was ranked #1 for one week you get 25 points. If they are ranked #1 for 3 weeks then you get 75 points. If a team is ranked #25 then you get 1 point, etc. Total that up for all the teams in each individual conference for the past 20 years. Whoever has the most points (the SEC without a doubt) wins. Somebody get on that.
I doubt the SEC would win that battle. USC has been top #3 preseason and on for a lot of years. SEC teams usually don't start very high, we just end there.

I'll see what I can do for final AP rankings, but week by week would suck take to long.

Edit: Nevermind, I've decided I don't care enough to do this. I declare the winner the SEC by default. In fact, Mississippi State from 1999 - 2000 is what pushed them to the top. Go Dawgs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top to bottom, the PAC-10 may be better than the Big 12 this year.
Aside from Texas and on-and-off schools like Oklahoma and Kansas, saying a conference is better than the Big 12 really isn't saying much...

Aside from Texas and on-and-off schools like Oklahoma and Kansas, saying a conference is better than the Big 12 really isn't saying much...
The Big 12 has more than Texas. The Big 12 south is as tough as either side of the SEC.

Back to the "Top 25" debate. I took the top 5 schools from the last AP poll of the season since 1993 (why 1993, well, that's were the website I got this from stopped.) Awarding 5 points for 1, 4 for 2, etc, the results are as follows.

In the last 15 years...

SEC 62

Big 12 48

PAC 10 38

Big 10 37

ACC 28

Big East 15

MWC 7

Notre Dame 4

WAC 1

All of the Big East points were by Miami, so if you add that to the ACC, they nestle in right above the PAC10.

for years Penn State ranked in the top 10 of toughest schedules year in and year out, and one year (this year) Michigan and Notre Dame aren't as impressive as in the past, and now it's Penn State's fault. Also, Penn State always schedules tough out of conference teams like Miami, Alabama, etc. but this year is the in between year.

I hope the Nittany Lions run the table, and then I have to hear everyone bitch about them being in there. It will make my year. :D

^^ We'll see.

He's a double bum, we was committed to WVU then backed out, and now plays for the Buckeyes. I never want to see anyone get a broken leg, but...... ... I wouldn't be too bothered if it were him.

Double Bum.

I know that that had to hurt to write that. I thought that you would probably win it last year, but it is still tough to write that about your rival. We do get the Nubs at home as well. However we still have the brutal side of the south with OU at home and UT and TT on the road. If we take one of those and take care of business in the north, we should be in. If we somehow manage to go 2 out of 3, I would consider us a lock. (I don't expect to get 2 out of 3 though.) You never know what to expect though, I wouldn't see it as in-feasible for any team in the north other than KSU and ISU to win. I'm just so happy that the doldrums of summer sports are nearly over!
FLJhawk -

This one's for you...

Reesing_Heisman_Vid.gif

th_SS01_spoon_covercrop_0827_t620.jpg

The previous post reminded me that the Arch Rivalry is still the best game in the first weekend of college football. While most big schools schedule cupcakes so that they can win 70-0, Illinois and Missouri give us a game worth watching.

I think the matchup between Okie St and Georgia will be the highlight of the weekend. Not to down my team, but that one will be something.

Just a few more days of waiting... Bah.

And Alabama and VA Tech...

When he posted that about Illinois and Missouri, I thought to myself "I can think of roughly three games I'm more interested in than that one".

Maybe it's just these two (Ala/VATech, GA/OKState)

Fine, maybe there are a few other games worth watching. I'll admit I was half in the bag when I posted that. I was merely getting excited over the start of college football. Anyone know where the College Gameday crew will be setting up? Do they still do that?

How sad is it that I am eagerly anticipating the NC State vs. S. Carolina game tomorrow? I am so desperate for the college football season to start that I am getting excited by that game? What's wrong with me? :tardbang:

The one good thing about going back to CT: I will get to see College Football in all it's glory on a Pioneer Elite Plasma.

RW, you going to the Clemson-GT game on the 10th?
Yes, I'll be there (or at least I plan to be there). I'm trying to debate whether or not to take the next day off work. I'm sure I'll be mostly useless that day, but I'd rather be mostly useless in the office then burning a vacation day just to sleep in.

How sad is it that I am eagerly anticipating the NC State vs. S. Carolina game tomorrow? I am so desperate for the college football season to start that I am getting excited by that game? What's wrong with me? :tardbang:
Guess I should pay attention more, forgot that there are Thursday night games starting first week of the season...

Sadly, I'll be out with friends, so I'll have to survive without seeing this one.

Latest posts

Back