Countdown to Football Season!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let this be the year for the Lions; I need something to wipe out the memory of the Wings choking in Game 7
:whipping:
Heard an interesting stat for the lions this morning on the Mike & Mike show on ESPN:

Since 2003, the Lions are NOT the worst team in football. They have a 26-70 record which is 2 games better than the Raiders with thier 24-72 record. This even includes last year's 0-16 record...

I don't wish any ill will on Penn State, I just think that is an awfully weak schedule.

Going undefeated through that schedule doesn't prove much.

Sounds an awful lot like mediocrity.
Not really. They just don't have one team that stands out above the rest. The ACC has gotten a bad rap recently for being a weak conference, but if you look at their wins and losses to out of conference opponents they actually stack up pretty well against the other conferences. And unlike the schools like Penn State (sorry DV, that's a pathetic schedule), the ACC schools aren't afraid to schedule out of conference opponents with some teeth.

The ACC has also been plagued with inconsistent play recently, much of that has been attributed to the lack of experienced quarterbacks the past few seasons. Let's hope that changes now that most of the conferences quarterbacks have a season or two under their belts.

Last edited by a moderator:
And unlike the schools like Penn State (sorry DV, that's a pathetic schedule), the ACC schools aren't afraid to schedule out of conference opponents with some teeth.

I don't know if we should pile-on Penn State too much. They just got off a series with Oregon State and have deals set for the next six seasons with Bama, UVa and Rutgers. This year's cupcake schedule seems to be an abberation.

I don't know if we should pile-on Penn State too much. They just got off a series with Oregon State and have deals set for the next six seasons with Bama, UVa and Rutgers. This year's cupcake schedule seems to be an abberation.

Playing one decent out of conference game and one decent in conference game all season hardly qualifies as a challenging schedule.

You're right, we shouldn't pick on Penn State to much. It's not their fault that the Big Ten Eleven is such a mediocre conference. :p

Playing one decent out of conference game and one decent in conference game all season hardly qualifies as a challenging schedule.

You're right, we shouldn't pick on Penn State to much. It's not their fault that the Big Ten Eleven is such a mediocre conference. :p
How many ACC programs have won national championships in the past two decades?

So since 1989? I count 6, but since 3 of those were Miami, who at the time wasn't in the ACC, we don't have to count those if you don't want.

FSU 1993 & 1999

GT 1990

and Miami 1989, 1991 & 2001

How about the Big Ten Eleven?

I count two since 1989. Maybe I missed some.

Michigan 1997

Ohio State 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division...80.93present.29

So since 1989? I count 6, but since 3 of those were Miami, who at the time wasn't in the ACC, we don't have to count those if you don't want.
FSU 1993 & 1999

GT 1990

and Miami 1989, 1991 & 2001

How about the Big Ten Eleven?

I count two since 1989. Maybe I missed some.

Michigan 1997

Ohio State 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division...80.93present.29

So two ACC programs have won national titles in the past two decades - same as the Big11Ten.

And in the past 15 years?

ACC - Florida State

B10 - Ohio State and Michigan

So two ACC programs have won national titles in the past two decades - same as the Big11Ten.
And it past 15 years?

ACC - Florida State

B10 - Ohio State and Michigan
Ha! I like how you changed the parameters of your question once you realized the ACC had more championships in your original time frame. Should have doubled checked before you asked the question.

And since we are changing the rules as we go, Miami is an ACC program now, so I'm going to count their championships too. :p

by the way, i don't think having one good team (National Champion) in a conference proves that conference is strong or weak. You can have one great team and a bunch of terrible ones and overall I'd say a conference is mediocre. I'm not trying to say the ACC is a football power conference either. They aren't. I was just trying to say they aren't terrible like everyone seems to think there are. They just haven't had that one stand out National Championship contender recently.

Ha! I like how you changed the parameters of your question once you realized the ACC had more championships in your original time frame.
How did I change the parameters?

But whatever - rather than continue debating I will concede. You have proven that the Big Ten at it's worst might be as bad as the ACC.

How did I change the parameters?
The second part of your question. The timetable went from 20 years to 15.

to be fair I did misread the question to begin with. You are correct, the in the past two decades only two ACC programs have won National Championships. Never mind that they won more of them then the Big Ten during that time. :rolleyes:

Heard an interesting stat for the lions this morning on the Mike & Mike show on ESPN:
Since 2003, the Lions are NOT the worst team in football. They have a 26-70 record which is 2 games better than the Raiders with thier 24-72 record. This even includes last year's 0-16 record...

Hey it isn't funny to pick on the mentally unstable (Raiders) the Lions, are supposed to be operated by one of America's Great Families (Ford) what the heck happened?

The second part of your question. The timetable went from 20 years to 15.
to be fair I did misread the question to begin with. You are correct, the in the past two decades only two ACC programs have won National Championships. Never mind that they won more of them then the Big Ten during that time. :rolleyes:
Honestly, I have nothing against the ACC. I graduated from Florida State. I just wish another team from the ACC would step up and win a national title. It seems lately that the ACC has no national title contenders when the Noles are down.

Also, the ACC gets more shots at the $EC than any of the other BCS conferences. More wins from the ACC in those games would please the rest of the country.

by the way, i don't think having one good team (National Champion) in a conference proves that conference is strong or weak. You can have one great team and a bunch of terrible ones and overall I'd say a conference is mediocre.
The very definition of the PAC-10...

Last edited:
sorry, been too busy to respond today but I don't think that the number of programs that have won a national championship in the past 20 years is a great barometer of how good a conference is. Someone who has the time should look at some sort of weighted ranking point system. i.e. if a team in your conference was ranked #1 for one week you get 25 points. If they are ranked #1 for 3 weeks then you get 75 points. If a team is ranked #25 then you get 1 point, etc. Total that up for all the teams in each individual conference for the past 20 years. Whoever has the most points (the SEC without a doubt) wins. Somebody get on that.

Also, the ACC gets more shots at the $EC than any of the other BCS conferences. More wins from the ACC in those games would please the rest of the country.
The ACC was 6-6 vs the SEC last year. Nothing to brag about, but probably not what you would expect from the "mediocre" ACC versus the football juggernaut SEC

Besides, we all know that Miami could have beat OSU in 2002, they just couldn't beat OSU and the refs.

That pass interference call was so bogus, that as someone who had no vested interest in either team, it still sticks out to me.

That 6-6 doesn't tell the whole story. Georgia Tech beat Mississippi State, but also beat Georgia.

Clemson lost to Alabama (a 12 win team), but beat South Carolina (again).

Florida beat FSU and Miami, but Florida beat everybody.

Wake beat Vandy and Ole Miss, both bowl teams. Ole Miss beat Florida and thrashed Texas Tech.

So it's not as though the ACC was beating only the SEC bottom teams.

That being said, I stand by the fact that the $EC (that's cute by the way, we can't help it if we cash in on our greatness) is the best conference, followed by the Big 12, and a toss-up between the PAC-10 and the ACC. The Big Ele...Ten is a distant fifth.

Back