Countdown to Football Season!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
watched the Bears/Jets game sat night with my dad. Hopefully the bears can keep up their blitzing ability like that during regular season as well as their running game. I know its preseaon and the jets defense might not be playing their hardest, but offense should not be able to run 7-8 yds up the middle on several consecutive plays.

It has less to do with being preseason, more to do with being the Jets.

I'm glad that Mr. Sanchez is already a flop. Did worse than Kellen Clemens did. Our starting QB will be the lesser of two losers.

Shooting yourself in the leg in New York is apparently a far more egregious crime than killing someone with your car while under the influence in Florida. Am I going to lobby to have the laws changed in NY? No, I don't live there and have no plans to move or visit.

Where I live if I shot myself in the leg the response would probably be yelling "Sum a bitch, Get 'er dun!" then I'd be handed a Natty Light, told to rub some dirt in it and quit being such a pussy. At this point whole incident would be over and I could go on with my life so long as I didn't bleed to death or die from infection.
BURRESS WAS NOT CONVICTED OF SHOOTING HIMSELF IN THE LEG!!!!! Please tell me why carring an illegal loaded weapon into a crowded NYC club and then mishandling said weapon should not be punished by the full extent of the NYC laws. The fact he was the one that was ultimately injured should be treated as no more than a little "salt in the wound."

If he had done it here in Denver, I would expect nothing less than the full extent of the Denver laws, and I'm sure you would want him prosecuted to the full extent of the laws of your city/county/state. Would he be spending 2 years in jail if he did that here? Probably not, but Colorado does not have a lot of gun-related problems (when compared with NYC), so I would not expect the laws in CO to match those of NYC.

NYC is and always was very strict when it comes to firearms. If Burress felt the need to carry a weapon, he should have known the laws. The fact that he understood the Florida laws (where the weapon was purchased, licensed, and where he has a permit to carry), shows he is capable of understanding weapons laws more clearly. Ignorance of the law does not excuse you from it.

Last edited:
BURRESS WAS NOT CONVICTED OF SHOOTING HIMSELF IN THE LEG!!!!! Please tell me why carring an illegal loaded weapon into a crowded NYC club and then mishandling said weapon should not be punished by the full extent of the NYC laws. The fact he was the one that was ultimately injured should be treated as no more than a little "salt in the wound."
NYC is and always was very strict when it comes to firearms. If Burress felt the need to carry a weapon, he should have known the laws. The fact that he understood the Florida laws (where the weapon was purchased, licensed, and where he has a permit to carry), shows he is capable of understanding weapons laws more clearly. Ignorance of the law does not excuse you from it.
sweet merciful crap! I GET IT! The crime that was committed was him ILLEGALLY carrying a firearm in NY. I do not dispute this. I do not dispute that it was illegal. I will not dispute that ignorance of the law is an excuse not to abide by it. My only contention is that the sentence of two years in prison for a first time offender seems excessive for a violation of this nature.

I'm done debating this.

With all due respect

arguing_on_the_internet.jpg

^^^ nice, with all due respect...

I apologize if I carried this a little too far, but it will always make me a little mad when people make ignorant statements like "he got 2 years in jail for shooting himself" or "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

Last edited:
Anyways, what's the probability that Burress and Stallworth will still get drafted in at least 25% of the fantasy football leagues this year?

I hope to end the legal discussion and get the football topic back on track all in this same post.

Yes, our legal system is effed up. Back in 1962, a bunch of smart lawyers got together and wrote a criminal code that could be adopted by every state, making the criminal laws the same all across America. That model code was not adopted by any state at all. State legislatures developed their own different criminal codes, and that's why you get such a disparity in what constitutes a crime and how they are punished from state to state. That's why Stallworth gets a slap on the wrist and Plaxico gets a harsh sentence.

The same laws apply in every state for how banks must treat checks and how merchants contract for the sale of goods, but that's boring stuff. When it comes to the criminal law, there are high-profile cases and politics involved, and that makes opportunities for legislators to get their names in the paper.

Anyway, is the ACC better than the Big Ten now? And is Notre Dame overrated? I say no to the former and yes to the latter.

^^^ lol. Forget the legal punishment. Make any NFL players who break the law play on the Detroit Lions, MLB to play for the Pittsburg Pirates, NBA to play for Oklahoma City, and we can make the NHL'ers play for Phoenix...
ZING!!!!!!!!!!

Burress and Stallworth...Vick, I have read about some DBs and DEs in jail too. Does that bring you memories of a movie about former football players in jail playing against the correctional officers?

I think all professional athletes that commit crimes should be put in one prison that has it's own NBA and NFL team. The players that are sentenced to prison are forced to play on the team, and all revenue produced by the team goes back into the prison system. Make the assholes pay for their own (and others) incarceration.

I think all professional athletes that commit crimes should be put in one prison that has it's own NBA and NFL team. The players that are sentenced to prison are forced to play on the team, and all revenue produced by the team goes back into the prison system. Make the assholes pay for their own (and others) incarceration.
Wow. That's an awesome idea! I think this should be incorporated into the Dleg's presidential campaign.

Anyway, is the ACC better than the Big Ten now? And is Notre Dame overrated? I say no to the former and yes to the latter.

Yes, the ACC is better than the Big Ten and yes Notre Dame is overrated.

There are only 3 teams from the Big Ten in the top 25, Iowa, Penn State, and Ohio State. By the middle of the season there will only be Penn State and Ohio State.

There are 4 teams from the ACC in the top 25, Virginia Tech, Georiga Tech, Florida State, North Carolina. By the middle of the season I would expect that Clemson and Miami will move into the top 25. The reason the ACC is so underrated is becomes the teams are all on the same level. They beat each other up in the regular season so you don't have any team that can make it into the National Championship game. Last year the ACC sent 10 out of 12 teams to bowl games. I don't know what the stats were for the Big Ten for bowl games last year.

Penn State could very well end up playing in the National Championship game.

And that is very sad.

09/05/09 vs. Akron

09/12/09 vs. Syracuse

09/19/09 vs. Temple

09/26/09 vs. Iowa

10/03/09 at Illinois

10/10/09 vs. Eastern Illinois

10/17/09 vs. Minnesota

10/24/09 at Michigan

10/31/09 at Northwestern

11/07/09 vs. Ohio State

11/14/09 vs. Indiana

11/21/09 at Michigan State

Let this be the year for the Lions; I need something to wipe out the memory of the Wings choking in Game 7

:whipping:

Latest posts

Back