Car GPS units

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktulu

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a car GPS unit. Do not need a top-of-the-line unit, but a nice decent one. And one that I can input coordinates into.

What does everyone else have?

Everything I have for both aviation and automotive use is Garmin. My portable for the plane also has automotive and marine modes. I'm not sure if they make a car model that will take coordinates directly. I like the 255W for car navigation. It speaks street names and destinations and I've seen them advertised for under $150.00 recently. I have a 205W that's the same unit minus the spoken street names. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow to see if it will take coordinates directly.

X3 on the Garmin. They've been around forever in the GPS world and make a good product. I have a Nuvi 350, and it does take coordinates, though I'm not sure how accurate they are (I saved a job site by it's coordinates once, and when returning there, it didn't bring me anywhere close). I think most of their models do, even the lower end ones. I wish I had the one that was a step up from the 350. The way it gives directions is a little more driver friendly, and the screen is nicer.

I've got a Garmin C3 Street Pilot (older bubble head style) pretty basic but it works fine for me. I got the wife a Nuvi 550 for Xmas last year. She loves it and uses it all the time. Wider screen and announces street names. It doesn't have the live traffic feature. I wonder how effective that is.

My kids couldn't find their room if they didn't have access to a GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Garmin too. The Nuvi 205 I think. It was a pretty basic GPS unit when I bought it over a year ago. It doesn't do text to speech, it doesn't have traffic data, no blue tooth, etc., etc. It's really handy for finding directions in the dark when street signs are difficult to see. You do need to have a vague idea of where you should be going though, if you follow the GPS directions blindly you could end up somewhere you didn't intend. I've also found that a trip always takes longer than the estimated arrival time says it will. The arrival time doesn't seem to factor in things like traffic lights. If you are traveling on the interstates at posted speeds it's much more accurate at judging the time of travel.

^We have a Nuvi 650 (wide screen 350) and a 205W. Garmin made several improvements on the newer series. The one really nice thing is that the 205 displays the speed limit for the road you are on. I'm considering retiring the 650 and replacing it with a 255W.

I just checked mine and the Nuvi 205/255 series will also take coordinates. The manuals can be downloaded from the Garmin web site here.

I have a Garmin (255W) that works well, but anymore unless I'm on a long, pre-planned trip I just use the Droid if I need to find something, since all I have to do is talk to it instead of typing. I like the destination street view.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one really nice thing is that the 205 displays the speed limit for the road you are on.
The speed limit information is a great thing to have. We took the Garmin with us to England over the summer (we bought and loaded the England maps), there were some quirks to figure out at first, like for some reason when we first arrived in London the Garmin thought we were somewhere in Whales and for the entire trip the Garmin would tell us to turn after we'd already passed the road we were supposed to be turning on to, but once we realized that we were able to compensate. Having the speed limit info was great since you can get out on these little country roads and not see a speed limit sign all day. Funnily enough the speed camera signs were everywhere.

^Makes for a much more efficient revenue generator if you have the speed camera but fail to tell anybody what the speed limit actually is.

^Makes for a much more efficient revenue generator if you have the speed camera but fail to tell anybody what the speed limit actually is.
There were speed limit signs, the problem was they looked like this

sixty.jpg

That means that on those roads the "national speed limit" was to be followed. Problem was, I had no idea what the national speed limit was.

^Is all of Europe like that? We may be making a trip next year. Looks like I should plan on loading maps and taking the GPS.

we also just use the iphone....

if i did more travelling I think I would get one of the garmins though...

Just got a Garmin 260W for Christmas. I haven't used it much yet (obviously), but so far I am pleased. The W stands for widescreen, which I highly recommend.

Just got a Garmin 260W for Christmas. I haven't used it much yet (obviously), but so far I am pleased. The W stands for widescreen, which I highly recommend.
what's the advantage of the widescreen? My parents have a widescreen garmin (mine is not widescreen) and I really didn't see the point. It made the device larger, but didn't add any additional information as far as I could tell. Since the direction of travel is usually shown on those things going from top to bottom instead of side to side I didn't see any benefit to the widescreen.

what's the advantage of the widescreen? My parents have a widescreen garmin (mine is not widescreen) and I really didn't see the point. It made the device larger, but didn't add any additional information as far as I could tell. Since the direction of travel is usually shown on those things going from top to bottom instead of side to side I didn't see any benefit to the widescreen.
Bigger is obviously better.

Bigger is obviously better.
it's not the size that matters but rather how you use what you have.

I have a Garmin 650. I did a lot of research and went with this model because it had enough bells and whistles to keep me happy and because I felt confident that I could loan it to my wife or anyone else and not have to train them in using it.

It does take coordinates, which was great for our trip to Sedona last year. We had a a guide book that had coordinates for all of the trail heads it covered. While waiting in the airport, I put in the coordinates for all of the trails we were interested in as favorites. Then when we were in Sedona, we could look at the map and see what trails were around us. Very useful.

Back