CA Seismic Review Course

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,Someone asked this question already but no response. Has anyone took Dr. mansour's classes? any recommendations on which review class to take?

I would also like to know, He offers some free webinars on other subjects like construction AM and Transportation AM, Anyone else taken his classes?
Can you please provide a link to these free webinars? I was not aware of them. Thanks.

If you go to his website:

http://www.passpe.com/index.html

Yeah it's like you are on the list and when he's going go give one then he emails you.

Towards the bottom of the home page you see in a box:

Fall 2011 Webinars

We will be offering selected 2-hours Civil P.E., Seismic, and Surveying Review webinars for FREE this Fall. We invite you to attend our Free webinars to see why we are the best in the market.

E-mail us for the Free 2-hours Webinars:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

email one of the addresses and then whenever they are planning a free webinar they will tell you. I actually just got the email Friday night for the free webinars Sat and Sunday for Seismic. I'm watching them right now.

He has a book (which i have not bought yet, because i'm not sure i'm taking CA special exam)

so his lectures he doesn't use Powerpoints he uses the book, which i actually like. then if he needs to do some extra drawings he cuts to another screen and draws them. he later emails you the scans of his drawings.

I'm a fan of his classes, I wish he offered a class for the 16hr SE exam.

I e-mailed about the free Seismic webinar the day you posted this and still have not yet heard back. :(

Hi everyone,Someone asked this question already but no response. Has anyone took Dr. mansour's classes? any recommendations on which review class to take?

I would also like to know, He offers some free webinars on other subjects like construction AM and Transportation AM, Anyone else taken his classes?
Can you please provide a link to these free webinars? I was not aware of them. Thanks.

If you go to his website:

http://www.passpe.com/index.html

Yeah it's like you are on the list and when he's going go give one then he emails you.

Towards the bottom of the home page you see in a box:

Fall 2011 Webinars

We will be offering selected 2-hours Civil P.E., Seismic, and Surveying Review webinars for FREE this Fall. We invite you to attend our Free webinars to see why we are the best in the market.

E-mail us for the Free 2-hours Webinars:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

email one of the addresses and then whenever they are planning a free webinar they will tell you. I actually just got the email Friday night for the free webinars Sat and Sunday for Seismic. I'm watching them right now.

He has a book (which i have not bought yet, because i'm not sure i'm taking CA special exam)

so his lectures he doesn't use Powerpoints he uses the book, which i actually like. then if he needs to do some extra drawings he cuts to another screen and draws them. he later emails you the scans of his drawings.

I'm a fan of his classes, I wish he offered a class for the 16hr SE exam.

I e-mailed about the free Seismic webinar the day you posted this and still have not yet heard back. :(

Huh?

Did you ever here back from him? I just watched one of the free webinars last week. I'm going to take the class for real but probably next year.

Yes, I did eventually receive an e-mail with an invitation to watch the free webinar. The problem is, it was live and therefore was restricted to a particular day/time. I was still at work when it started. I was hoping it was pre-recorded (similar to Hiner's free intro webinar) and I could watch it on my own time. Oh well. How was it?

Did you ever here back from him? I just watched one of the free webinars last week. I'm going to take the class for real but probably next year.

Yes, I did eventually receive an e-mail with an invitation to watch the free webinar. The problem is, it was live and therefore was restricted to a particular day/time. I was still at work when it started. I was hoping it was pre-recorded (similar to Hiner's free intro webinar) and I could watch it on my own time. Oh well. How was it?
I liked it, I know that you can purchase DVDs of his webinar that he gave along with the book so then you could watch it as many times as you want. I'm not from CA so I'm not sure if/when I'll take the exam, I'm looking for study material for the 16hr SE exam. I wish there was a good recorded review for it.

I liked it, I know that you can purchase DVDs of his webinar that he gave along with the book so then you could watch it as many times as you want. I'm not from CA so I'm not sure if/when I'll take the exam, I'm looking for study material for the 16hr SE exam. I wish there was a good recorded review for it.
jill, yeah but I believe the DVDs are still based on the 2006 IBC. He hasn't updated the DVDs yet for the '09 IBC. They are kinda pricey too. I am being cheap and sticking to my self-study at home plan. So far, so good - I think this stuff is slowly sinking in. Good luck with your SE exam and future Seismic if you come to CA.

I'm currently taking all three of Mansour's classes. His first seismic class in Orange County is this Saturday.... I'll let you know how that goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE (ptatohed @ Jun 15 2011, 01:23 PM)

I am down to only the Seismic. I really, really do not like this topic.
sad.gif
I am almost through Chapter 4 of Hiner's book and I'd say only 33% of the material has registered in my brain (not Hiner's fault, my fault). I really don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars for a review course so I am going to continue trying to learn from only the Hiner manual.

I'm curious though, what do you guys think of the Mansour classes and study material? http://www.passpe.com/products/materials.html

After you don't pass in October, remember what everyone here said. Get the course.

Glen, you owe me an apology. ;)

I knew nothing about Seismic going into it. Self studied at home (no classes) and passed. :p

I'm currently taking all three of Mansour's classes. His first seismic class in Orange County is this Saturday.... I'll let you know how that goes.
douche, how'd the Mansour classes go?
I took Mansour's 8h review and surveying, and PASSED. I also studied alot on my own time, but I'd say his classes really helped. I definitely recommend his 8hr exam review class. Mansour's 8hr review for the AM portion of the exam is "flawless" and it will get you wher you want to go if you put in the hours and study on your own as well. I took structural PM and I had to review the CERM on my own entirely, his material weren't much help to me. What I liked about Mansour's class is that he really cares about his students and wants everyone to pass; he puts in A LOT of effort to make students understand the concepts, and in addition he teaches test taking skills (which i believe is critical for the PE exam). He also will let you borrow DVD's if you miss a class or two.

All in all, I definitely suggest taking his review course for the 8hr exam, attend lectures and pay attention, put in the time and study the material on your own, do a million problems, and you will Pass.

I also liked Mansour's surveying course. His book is well put together and he makes you understand the concepts and key points. I had "0" background in surveying, put in very minimal time to review the material and PASSED.

I am taking seismic in april 2012. and I am going to take Heiner's review class. I think Heiner may be better for seismic than Mansour. But we will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
nog,

Good luck. I did not enjoy Seismic at all - but I got through it.

By the way, his name is spelled Hiner. ;)

I have taken Dr. Mansour classes and I found them very helpful and self contained and well organized, especial for someone like me who graduated over 20 years ago. I took his classes last year and so far I have passed Surveying and the 8 hours. this april I will be taking the seismic and I am confident I will pass.

Everyone, please consider EET for your Seismic Class. Dr. Ahmed Ibrahim is amazing.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=20523

I agree. Highly recommend. Great price and he really wants you to understand the material and pass.

I'd also agree with the two individuals above. I took the EET Seismic class this spring with Dr. Ibrahim and I thought he did an excellent job in teaching you to master the fundamentals as well as test taking strategy for the exam. I highly recommend his class for those having trouble with the CA Seismic principles exam.

I actually owe this particular forum thread for convincing me to take Dr. Ibrahim's class. If you are having difficulty with Seismic, go with EET and Dr. Ibrahim. Seismic was my last test and I did not enjoy the material at all. I passed Seismic this time and it was due to Dr. Ibrahiim's patience, guidance and dedication to my understanding of the fundamentals. Thanks again for the recommendations ptatohed, rogerkamp88, GLK3 back in April 2013!

To all those suggesting EET, I hope you get a kickback from this class and that its enough to buy you a drink of your choice. Hopefully I'll be able to pass the exam on my first shot.

Back