CA seismic and topo -June results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took survey on June 22 and have not received results (last name R).  This is super lame, not only distracted my afternoon today but now have to watch for tomorrow hopefully morning 

Just got my FAILURE notice for Seismic. Took the Hiner class and studied ~ 90 hours for this exam. Have any advice for a what you did differently this time to pass? Congrats by the way!
I always felt that the material was overwhelming during my previous failures. But this time during my studying I realized that there are only a finite type of problems that they can ask. I studied this time more than any other time. I followed Hiner's recommendation by solving all the problems in the textbook twice including the sample exam and the computerized practice exam. I also became very comfortable with finding the reference tables in the IBC, ASCE and Hiner textbook. And I used tabs so I would save time when I had to find the information. A friend that passed on her first attempt gave me the best advice. Do as many practice problems as possible, even repeat the same problems so you will be faster in solving similar problems during the exam. Good luck on your next attempt.

Anyone still waiting for the results? I hope they release the remained exam result this morning!

Worked all the Hiner problems and also did the Mansour practice exams. Passed 8 hour NCEES and Survey no problem, I have STRONG study habits.  I felt very confident solving all the seismic force problems during the exam and results show deficient for that category... I like how they highlight failure in red, it really accelerates the inescapable anxiety.  I have no clue what went wrong. I have no study strategy now. Everything is going sideways, contractor failing compaction on backfill. I feel the onset of crippling depression grabbing hold.

If you haven't received your results by email yet, you should first check spam filters and junk mail folders.  If you still haven't received the emails, you need to contact the board to make sure your email address is correct.  It will be the same email address that you received your scheduling ATT notice.

Contact Evaluator by last name per: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/about_us/contact.shtml

thanks CAPLS, I had checked my spam filter but forgot to check the filter on the direct email that forwards to my main email account.  

Passed Survey! 🤪

thanks CAPLS, I had checked my spam filter but forgot to check the filter on the direct email that forwards to my main email account.  

Passed Survey! 🤪

If you haven't received your results by email yet, you should first check spam filters and junk mail folders.  If you still haven't received the emails, you need to contact the board to make sure your email address is correct.  It will be the same email address that you received your scheduling ATT notice.

Contact Evaluator by last name per: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/about_us/contact.shtml
Thanks CAPLS- I did check the spam and junk email folders! nothing!

I sent them an email waiting for their response!

Is there any phone number I can use to call them?

I think try the main number  (916) 263-2222, then press 1, then 4.  They usually ask for the first letter of your last name and then transfer you to the appropriate person, but I almost always get a voice mail.

Thanks CAPLS- I did check the spam and junk email folders! nothing!

I sent them an email waiting for their response!

Is there any phone number I can use to call them?
Emailing the Evaluators and providing your contact info and Board ID along with your concerns, questions, etc. is the best way to contact them.  That way, they can research your specific situation and provide you with an effective answer rather than not having your information right in front of them when you do call.  Helps to reduce the back and forth.

This sucks.  Didn't pass the last one, but I missed the registration for Q3.  Now the  earliest I can take the exam is Oct, results released in Nov and license issued in Dec.  This means instead of being licensed next month, the earliest I can be licensed is 5 months from now...

Especially sucks since I'm job hunting and a lot of places don't hire you without a PE.

Emailing the Evaluators and providing your contact info and Board ID along with your concerns, questions, etc. is the best way to contact them.  That way, they can research your specific situation and provide you with an effective answer rather than not having your information right in front of them when you do call.  Helps to reduce the back and forth.
Thank you very much for your help.

I contacted the board on Friday. Apparently they had sent the results to a wrong email address. After 4 hours, they provided me with a scanned copy pdf file of the results. I had taken seismic and surveying both in June. I passed the seismic exam, but I got failed the surveying one.

I am highly doubtful about the surveying exam results. I was confident after the exam that I will pass it!!!

There are three more things:

1- I was provided with an unencrypted pdf file!

2- The release date on the exam results document was June 12 instead of July 12!

3- The document was a scanned copy!

Is there anyway I can appeal for the exam results? Do I have any chance for re-evaluation? Have you seen anyone doing it before?

I am super shocked with the surveying test results!!!!!

I got a fail for the surveying. 

I don't know, there's not much to do now, i guess, but study harder and retake. But similar to others here, I could've sworn i had passed based on my performance during the exam. 

The thing is, the board is releasing passing rates or cut scores or anything..? Most of the people I know, failed. I don't want to sound like a sour looser, but it seems that with this new quarter system, the passing rate got lower. 

I contacted the board on Friday. Apparently they had sent the results to a wrong email address. After 4 hours, they provided me with a scanned copy pdf file of the results. I had taken seismic and surveying both in June. I passed the seismic exam, but I got failed the surveying one.

I am highly doubtful about the surveying exam results. I was confident after the exam that I will pass it!!!

2- The release date on the exam results document was June 12 instead of July 12!

Is there anyway I can appeal for the exam results? Do I have any chance for re-evaluation? Have you seen anyone doing it before?

I got a fail for the surveying. 

I don't know, there's not much to do now, i guess, but study harder and retake. But similar to others here, I could've sworn i had passed based on my performance during the exam. 

The thing is, the board is releasing passing rates or cut scores or anything..? Most of the people I know, failed. I don't want to sound like a sour looser, but it seems that with this new quarter system, the passing rate got lower. 
Interesting, I’ve been going crazy since Thursday because my result doesn’t make any sense. There is no way that I’ve performed so poorly. I really think something went wrong this month or the passing score went to 90% from 60%.

email me your contact info at [email protected] and I will look into what you said your results letter says.  The Board's laws do not allow for any verification or appeal of exam results.

Interesting, I’ve been going crazy since Thursday because my result doesn’t make any sense. There is no way that I’ve performed so poorly. I really think something went wrong this month or the passing score went to 90% from 60%.
The Board's first board meeting after the end of the April-June administration is September 6-7.  The meeting materials should include the exam results from the previous quarter.

I always felt that the material was overwhelming during my previous failures. But this time during my studying I realized that there are only a finite type of problems that they can ask. I studied this time more than any other time. I followed Hiner's recommendation by solving all the problems in the textbook twice including the sample exam and the computerized practice exam. I also became very comfortable with finding the reference tables in the IBC, ASCE and Hiner textbook. And I used tabs so I would save time when I had to find the information. A friend that passed on her first attempt gave me the best advice. Do as many practice problems as possible, even repeat the same problems so you will be faster in solving similar problems during the exam. Good luck on your next attempt.
That is pretty much what I did going in the first time. Honestly, I think I  panicked a little but and got in my own head. So unfortunate. Until next time I suppose. Thanks for the response!

The Board's first board meeting after the end of the April-June administration is September 6-7.  The meeting materials should include the exam results from the previous quarter.
ok thanks for the info.

ok thanks for the info.
I should also add...that a new Test Plan Specifications was published and used beginning in April.  Traditionally, test performance tends to drop a little when that happens, regardless of licensing discipline, because some candidates fail to recognize the change while others simply don't adjust for it.

Link to the new specifications that were posted in January 2018: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/plan_civsurvey.pdf

I have received my results for the exam taken in June. Fortunately, I passed!

Not only that, I am already appearing in their database as being registered!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back