Bring Back the Lunch Thread !!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, can I add just about every food in Iceland to that list?

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

This could be a fun thread of its own. Probably generate as much controversy as the politics stuff.

Peanut butter is about as high on my list as twice eaten dog crap, and as some of you know, I have lots of access to that.
Peanut butter I could live without. But a world without olives, feta cheese and coffee is a world I want no part of.

Marmite is awesome too by the way.

31HAPY0MBWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OMG, life with no coffee would be almost as bad as life with no bacon! And peanut butter is one of the best inventions ever.

Besides, coffee isn't a food. Neither is beer though, and it's the most disgusting beverage ever.

My fav sandwich is green olives, provalone cheese and mirical whip on white bread...
Have I mentioned you are very strange?

My home brew Red Ale is only about 9 days into fermentation, and I'm frickin' pumped to taste this stuff when it's done. I stole a quick splash from the tap, and the aroma is absolutely f*cking amazing. Closest I can describe it is like walking into an apple orchard.

My home brew Red Ale is only about 9 days into fermentation, and I'm frickin' pumped to taste this stuff when it's done. I stole a quick splash from the tap, and the aroma is absolutely f*cking amazing. Closest I can describe it is like walking into an apple orchard.
The fruit aromas are intermediate fermentation products. Fruit odors like apple and pear are from acetyldehyde. These will likely decrease or disappear and the wort finishes doing its thing.

I skunked a batch one time that tasted like band-aids.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fruit aromas are intermediate fermentation products. Fruit odors like apple and pear are from acetyldehyde. These will likely decrease or disappear and the wort finishes doing its thing.

ummm... Dennis Leary?

no one's getting my jokes today.

The esters from fermentation do lighten up towards the end, though they dissipate less in ales than some of the others. Part of it is due to the fact that I'm fermenting slightly on the high side temperature-wise (72°F roughly in my house). If I yank it off the plank I have it sitting on (it would then be in contact with the floor tiles, which are significantly cooler), I can drop that temperature some for weeks 2-3 in the fermenter. I'm HOPING I didn't get a bad batch of yeast. If the smell doesn't subside, then the yeast likely kicked the bucket prematurely.

If it tasted like band-aid, you had phenols generated by a bacterial/yeast infection, or they can also pop up from bleach residues. Either way, gross.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I miss homebrewing.

The time I skunked it was when I was trying to make a batch of some sort of ale with maple syrup in it. It served the role of some of the sugars for fermentation. I just opened the carboy, opened the jar of syrup, and poured it in.

Got a little lax with sanitation - didn't wash my hands, probably should have boiled the syrup first, etc.

A weeks later I snuck a taste at bottling time and it tasted like gauze. It wasn't going to get any better in the bottles, so I just dumped it.

Back